THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    500 s&w and 45-70 compete for bear

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 s&w and 45-70 compete for bear
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted
this might be a lightning rod but here goes

http://espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/s/h_fea_bear_brown_...un_J.Oltersdorf.html

what is your take on the account?

should the guy have used a 45-70 like his buddy who got the job done?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
Never having hunted bear of any kind, I will, nevertheless, offer my opinion; you may make of it what you will...

Any animal that soaks up 12 rounds before dying ought to be hunted with something more powerful than was employed. Just because we can do a certain thing does not mean that one should do it!

On the other hand, I will say this...he set up a good stalk, got "up-close," and that says a lot. But to do it "right," I think a more powerful weapon capable of killing more humanely should be used.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
what hangun/bullet combo should he have used?

i say he needed a hard cast or solid with a big meplat for bone breaking and penetration. the 45-70 bfr revolver with nosler partitions or north forks would have been good too.

it seems the 45-70 did its job. i say the guy didnt shoot right or used a wrong bullet

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am at a loss. It takes 1 arrow through the lungs and it is good night but it takes 12 rounds between a 500 smith and a 45-70? If they would have given the bear time on the first one he would have died with less rounds. Most animals when hit by the first shot really do not know what happen even at close range so the adrenaline does not start pumping. But when the hail of gun fire starts then they know what is going on and the pump turns on. I would also say that an animal deserves a little more respect then a hail of gun fire to bring it down. As for the comment that he bet his life on the 500 smith I think that is just to make the story sound good. People bet there lives everyday they hop in the car and turn the key and drive 75 on the interstate. To me the odds of getting killed in a car accident are 50 times higher then getting killed brown bear hunting.

KA Firearms Customization LLC
Firearm Coating, Gun and Optics Sales
www.kafirearmsllc.com/

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
"Two men carried .338s, while another cradled a 45/70 with a 22-inch barrel and peep sight. The pilot and I carried the .500 handguns. Weapons loaded, we proceeded to hike the mile to the hill by the river...

"In the end, the bear had been shot 12 times. Two bullets found their mark from the 45/70 rifle and there were 10 slugs from the pair of .500 handguns."

In reading more closely, the 500 carries about 2500 ft. lbs of energy (from an 8 1/4" barrel). Most 45-70's are in the 2300 ft/lbs range, no? Which leads me to wonder if penetration was also comparable?

In the end, though, I think the points about shot placement & giving the animal enough time to succumb to the first shot would have made a more humane kill. And I also suspect that ESPN went out and found some nut just for a good story...certainly sounds like a nut from the way he writes! homer

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
friar...45-70 more like 3,600ft.lbs

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#4570

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The second bear only took three shots.

And I personally would not hold my fire on a bear to let the first shot "take effect".

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
the 500sw can do it but it needs the right bullet i wonder what he used

one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I must have missed something in the story.
The Registered Master Guide Glenn Alsworth shot first? If he paid Alsworth as a Guide, Alsworth broke the law. The Guide cannot shoot a clients bear untill the client shoots. The Guide is then required by law to do what ever it takes to complete the job.
The story is the biggest bunch of bull shit I've read in a long time.
Couple of quotes....
"10 slugs from the pair of .500 handguns."
"The .500 had done its job well."
" had been shot 12 times...."
This guy gets paid to write this crap?

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TJ, I agree with you. It sounds like a lot of fabrication and BS.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote