THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Exercise in preparation of an AK backpack sheep hunt
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exercise in preparation of an AK backpack sheep hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I placed a deposit on a sheep hunt in AK in August.

I am 57 and hail from the low altitude flatland's. I am a bit concerned.

I exercise a lot now. Typically I do the following:

1- Lift weight heavily 3 days a week for an hour.

2- I typically do cardio 6 days a week. This varies from running 4-10 miles each outing ( I try to run no more than 2 times a week). I do the treadmill with various inclines (as high as 30 degrees) typically covering 3.5 miles and 3200-3500 vertical feet in an hour. I also do the elliptical, stair stepper, etc on other days.

3- Typically about 4 times a week , I walk 3-6 miles when I get home from work.

I recon I am in pretty good shape for an old man. I want to be in better shape before I leave. Presently, I intend to modify my workouts as follows:

a- I have some ankle weights (10 pounds) that I intend to wear as often as I can around the office and home.

b- My evening walks will be with backpack and boots on. I intend to go as high as 50 pounds in the pack.

c- I am going to intensify my cardio. For example longer on the treadmill and more vertical feet.

What else would you all recommend? I want to be the single most prepared client they have ever had.

Thanks.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Before each workout put on a pair of hip boots, fill them with ice water, and do 50 laps across your swimming pool cover. Big Grin

Seriously, it sounds like you will be in better shape than the majority of hunters. You will still have to work till it hurts but your chances are a lot better.
Have a great hunt

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why bother with all that stuff
After you go up a few mountains you will say I am so far out of shape I should have done more.
Have fun
What a great relief when you get back to camp with that RAM
LARRY

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I doubt the altitude will be a concern. I know from experience that my limit is about 10,000-11,000 feet. Above that (13,962 ft on top of the highest ridge in the San Juan Wilderness in Colorado) I become incapacitated with what feels like the worst flu one could have. Not something to trifle with, it's the same as getting the bends in deep sea diving. But I don't think you'll be nearly that high.

Posts: 20162 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you are right. Living 50 feet above sea level concerns me.

Posts: 12096 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is you will be 5-7000' up. Sounds as if you are working out at a good pace. I usually try to do my work lite on a stair stepper or go to the local football field and do bleachers. Your calves are fine to burn going up and your knees will scream coming down. The other thing that hurts on me is my shoulders. The weight of my day pack. So put your pack on with 30-40# in and then do your cardio steps. I use an eberlstock pack, so nice to put rifle in scabbard and go. Then get good boots, crispi, danner, kenetrack.. Something that is a bit stiff and that fits YOUR foot great. This will be fun. What weapon are you shooting?

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles , Inc. 338 weighing 4.5 pounds

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry-

I'm quite a bit younger than you, but we live at the same altitude. I'd say that you're on the right track workout-wise, the one thing you may want to add is some circuit training. I started doing Crossfit a few years back after doing pretty traditional workouts for more than a decade and it definitely improved my fitness level. It has paid dividends on mountain hunts.

One thing that I did last year before heading to Wyoming (9000+ feet) that you may want to add was running/walking stadium steps- maybe you can get into UCF's stadium during the week? The stairwell of a tall building would be good as well.

All that aside, the single best thing that you can do (in my experience) is to get to altitude a couple of days early (if you can spare the time) and hydrate like crazy.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you are not going to have any trouble with the altitude just keep up what you are doing and if you take any supplements take them with you i always take protein and multi vit with me the protein will help your legs recover at night. if your having problems below 10,000 feet it is because you were out of shape from the start.I stop lifting heavy about 2 months out just to prevent a hunt from getting ruined by an injury at the gym i figer stopping 2 month out will give me time to recover.i still lift just high rep low weight.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mmassey338
posted Hide Post
Larry,

Don't overdo the ankle weights, as they can cause knee problems. If you're worried about altitude, google hypoxic training. There are devices and methods for training with lower oxygen, some as simple as holding your breath while you walk

Posts: 400 | Location: Here | Registered: 13 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a distance runner in college. We used to hold our breath until we would almost pass out.

The entire idea with the weights is to prep myself for the weight of the boots. I understand what you are saying.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Many years ago in Sports Afield, Outdoor Life a fellow gave his program for preparing to hunt the high country while living in the low lands.
In his town there was a sizable stadium that he could run up and down. He worked out until the running up the steps as fairly easy...then he put on a back pack with 10% of his body weight.
He worked his way up to 50% of his body weight.
As I remember his hunt was successful.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you are on the right track.
We live in sheep country and everything you do will help.
I would go with more cardio and less heavy weights. You will see as soon as you start nothing gets you entirely ready for climbing through slippery rocks. Your knees and ankles will catch hell. Have the best boots you can find! No seams across the toes!! And train with them. Hope you have a great hunt. Sheep are my personal favorite.

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

Last night I walked about 4 miles in my boots while wearing my pack which weighed 18 pounds with the stuff I had in it. This morning I walked 3.5 miles on a treadmill in an hour while gaining 3322 vertical feet. Considering the first half mile and last half mile were basically warm up and warm down, that is a pretty good climb.

I will increase the intensity over time.

I am in pretty good shape to begin with considering my age. I want to get there in great shape.

Once again, I appreciate all the help.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like you, I live in S. Fla and have struggled with a workout that prepares one for the altitude change. There is a company called Hypoxico that rents a machine that duplicates the effects of altitude. You basically sleep with a "tent" over your bed and it acclimates you to a certain altitude. It's not cheap, but neither is not getting to the top when necessary. I've not used it but have read reviews by those who have and they swear by it. I will be trying it for my next mountain hunt.

Hypoxico.com

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that is interesting. I will check it out. Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of utcb
posted Hide Post
Larry,

I think rimfire has a good point - your knees and ankles will catch hell. I was in very good shape for my sheep hunt, but I was not prepared for how hard it would be on my knees and joints. I unfortunately/fortunately did not get my sheep the first year and returned the second year for my hunt. For the second year, I found a steep side hill and walked back and forth on it with a pack to get my legs used to side loads. I also purchased the P90X workout program - the 'legs & back' exercise will give you great leg strength and the 'plyometric' work out helps with leg strength and cardio workout.

Posts: 34 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 22 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A steep hill here raises 10 feet in 300 yards. Thus, I use the treadmill with the steep inclines. These go up to 30 degrees incline.

Typically I start off at 6 degrees incline and increase 3 degrees every 1/8th of a mile. The last 1/8 of the first mile is at 27 degrees incline.

On the second mile I drop down to 12 & 15 degrees respectively for the first 2 segments of 1/8th of a mile. This is to recover a bit. I will subsequently increase the incline on each of the following 1/8 mile segments as follows. 18,21,30,24,30,27.

I drop down to 15 & 18 degrees respectively for the next 1/8th mile segments. Again for recovery. I will subsequently increase the subsequent 1/8th mile segments as follows:21,30,24,30, 27,30.

All segments are done between 3.5 & 4 MPH except the 30 degree segments which are dine at 3 MPH.

After finishing 3 miles, I set the incline on 18 degrees and decrease it 1 degree each 30 seconds until it hits zero.

Try it sometime. It isn't easy. Also, I do it without holding on. That is MUCH harder.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
perhaps finding a steep rocky hill and practice falling down it a lot Big Grin shocker Whistling

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am probably good enough at that without training! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
Larry,

It sounds as if you have the ascending part off to a good start with your treadmill training.

I would look at what I could do to train for descending also. That is always hell on my knees.

And please report on your findings ref: hypoxico.com.

Best of luck!!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,

After reading that you'll be hunting the Brooks... I don't think altitude will be an issue. 90% of the Brooks is less than 4000 feet above sea level, and the areas higher than that likely don't have sheep. If you hiked 3200 vertical in an afternoon... you hiked more than you probably will in a good day on your hunt. The hard part about the Brooks is how far you have to walk, not so much how high. I would focus more on endurance...

I usually switch to light beer about half way through fishing season in July, and still managed to kill a few sheep. I'll bet you're in better shape right now than I will be in August. Big Grin

P.S. probably 90% of the population in Alaska lives at sea level, and the closest mountains are less than 4000' A guy from the CO mountains could tear this place up.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hypoxico has its limitations for many. For example , I have sleep apnea . This excludes the tent.

Unless you have your own gym, the exercise aspect would be difficult .

My girl friend is a surgeon. She is researching the intermittent use aspect now. There seems to be some question whether it works.

Someone mentioned downhill training. Frankly, this is where i struggle. Any ideas for training for downhills where we have no hills?

Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Larry, it is very UNlikely that you'll have any problems at all with altitudes in the Brooks Range. I am pretty sure that most of it is 5,000-6,000 feet (Alaskans, please chime in here)and that should not be an issue for you at all. I live at only 1,100 feet, and I don't have any trouble going up to about 8,000 and you're in much better shape than me. Heck, after a few days, 10,000 isn't too bad.

I'll again suggest you find a parking garage or office building and do the stairs, UP AND DOWN, as much as you can, a couple times per week. These stairs tend to be steeper, and you'll really work out your quads this way. Also, the going down is as important as going up as it taxes your legs and feet in different ways.

Posts: 3902 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all.

The altitude per se doesn't concern me. What concerns me is the combination of lack of sleep, climbing ,altitude and the volume of all the above . My last sheep hunt in the Yukon was this same time of year. It was dark about 4 hours a night as i recall. I am 100% confident I can make the toughest climb on this hunt right now. Could i do the same 7-10 days in a row? I don't know.

Finding a stadium is easy. Finding one where I can go at night is a separate problem. I work a LOT of hours between now and June 30. Maybe I will do the steps in my parking garage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

You probably already know this, but I didn't see a comment on it: make sure your boots won't develop blisters. That is a killer.

I wouldn't worry about living at sea level. The ability to function at high altitudes is a function of acclimation and individual physiology, but all the sheep hunting I did in AK was at pretty low levels. Hell, the upper rim of the Grand Canyon is higher than most sheep hunting.

As for developing climbing legs, ride a bike. You don't have hills there, but that would be even better.

Truthfully, I have never met any runner or biker who has had a problem hunting. Yea, walking is better than nothing, but it isn't an aerobic activity, and that is what you need.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
For downhills, strenghten thighs and knees, also do proper controlled lunges carrying up to 5kgs in each hand. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of old pairs of Cabelas mountain boots. I have never gotten a blister. I have a new pair of Kenetreks on the way. I am also thinking of getting a costom made pair from (I think) Lathrop & Sons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scripts :

I leg press over 800 pounds on my 8th set. I do over 200 pounds on my 8th set of quad extensions . Leg strength isn't an issue for me.

Again, my concern is handling 10 days of this.

Many years ago, I ran a mile in 4:00.7 and 5000 meters in 13:33.9. Of course,that was 35 years and about 40 pounds ago. Obviously, my body can carry a lot of oxygen.

Absent injury, I want to be In the best shape humanly possible. I have to tell you, those mountains are intimidating when coming from the flatlands.

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Scripts :

I leg press over 800 pounds on my 8th set. I do over 200 pounds on my 8th set of quad extensions . Leg strength isn't an issue for me.

Again, my concern is handling 10 days of this.

Many years ago, I ran a mile in 4:00.7 and 5000 meters in 13:33.9. Of course,that was 35 years and about 40 pounds ago. Obviously, my body can carry a lot of oxygen.

Absent injury, I want to be In the best shape humanly possible.

shocker I think that is more than likely that you have left most of us humans behind. Cool

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlchZvaoLlY

Larry,

I don't know if you have anything like this by your home, but my husband swears by this. He is the person in the article with the backpack full of sand. He took a large gas can and mounted it to an external frame and put sand in it so it weighs 57 pounds. Then he does the stairs 35 times.
GOOD LUCK!!!!

126 steps at Swallow Cliff not exactly a walk in the park

Donna Vickroy: On assignment August 16, 2011 11:04PM

So, you think you’re tough.

Really?

Take your bad self out to Swallow Cliff Forest Preserve and prove it.

It’s been a few years since the toboggan slides were taken out of the once-popular winter destination near Palos Park. Now the steep, undulating hill that once thrilled sledders is covered with grass.

But the people still come. Only now, they come in spring, summer and fall.

They come for the workout of their lives.

The stairs that were once an annoying means to a good downhill slide have become a mecca for workout warriors of all ages, shapes and sizes.

On any given day you see them, panting and sweating their way up and down the steep set of stone steps. These are rugged, serious fitness junkies.

For one brief moment, I joined them.

Look, I am no athlete. I may harbor fantasies of one day taking up speed skating or of giving the Tour de France a spin, but I have both feet planted in middle-aged reality.

I’m grateful to get on my bike and ride for an hour each evening. Sometimes, I “cross train,” meaning I walk my dog, Handsome Ted, and then ride my Schwinn.

Still, I admit, I love a challenge.

And when someone suggested I tackle the stairs, I thought, what’s a few stairs?

I live in a two-story house. I run stairs all the time. How bad could these be?

And then I saw them.

One hundred and twenty-six stone steps, ascending at what appeared to be a 90-degree grade.

Gulp!

I was grateful I’d come prepared.

The night before, I’d chatted with Anthony Gajkowski, a house-calling personal trainer with Amplify Fitness in Woodridge. He was quite encouraging, assuring me that because I exercise regularly I’d be just fine. But he also recommended I warm up, bring water or diluted Gatorade and avoid a large meal beforehand.

“And don’t try to break any records,” he said.

Dressed in “slimming” black sweats, I downed a banana on the drive over and met photographer Joe Meier at base camp.

As I was stepping off, I encountered toned, fit Courtney Miller, 26, of Orland Park.

She was just finishing up her 11th “lap.”

“This is harder than any Stairmaster,” she warned. “It’s way more intense.”

Her sisters, Cayley, 11, and Carlene, 21, agreed.

Carlene said she ran it six times on her first outing. “I was shaking the entire way down the last time.”

Greg Shubat called the stairs, “Probably the most aerobic workout there is. It blows your lungs up.”

Nice.

Shubat works out at Swallow Cliff three times a week with other members of Iron Fitness Extreme, based in Burr Ridge.

His advice for novices: “Don’t look up.”

Camille Anello, of Homer Glen, added, “This is a butt-kicker.”

All this chatting was making me sweat and I hadn’t even hit step one.

It was time to put the pedals to the mettle.

I joined the pilgrimage to the top.

By step 30, I was puffing. By step 70, I was sweating.

The closer I got to the top, the more exaggerated my steps became, as if there were 30-pound weights strapped to my ankles.

But once I reached the summit, and caught my breath, I felt an immediate high. Not only is the view spectacular, well, I did it.

I conquered the stairs.

I felt like busting out the Rocky dance. And then I saw the pebbles.

On a ledge along the top of the stairs are groupings of small stones. Climbers use them to keep track of how many times they’ve gone up and down. Some of the piles had six or seven stones. But others had more than 20.

Anello explained that regulars bring polished stones in old Sucrets containers to mark their laps.

Talk to enough people and you’ll learn about the “legends of the stairs,” people who not only conquer the steps but do so while wearing weights or while carrying infants. One guy, I’m told, hauls a backpack full of sand to the top.

I felt weak. And, oddly enough, compelled to do it again.

So I climbed down and braced for another run, er walk, up the rocky incline.

Halfway there, I questioned my decision. My thighs were burning. My lungs were about to burst.

Would it really be that bad if I sat down and rested for two, three, 40 minutes?

The mosquitoes were motivation to keep moving.

So were the other climbers, some of whom gave you a look of “for shame,” as if they could spot a quitter a mile away.

So I pressed on. And on.

It’s hard to explain the high that comes from doing something you weren’t entirely certain you could do, but really wanted to nonetheless.

When I reached the summit, I felt that rush.

And even though my muscles ached and I was a ball of sweat, I was proud.

And I carried that feeling, stiffly, through the rest of the day.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9489 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I think you're looking at the issue the wrong way. Clearly, you're in terrific physical condition and I believe you'll stay that way, but mentally you're making way too much of this. I've been a sheep hunter for 30 years, in fact next year I'll be old enough to get a life time hunting licencse. I'm in pretty good shape physically, but mentally I'm stronger then I've ever been. Last year I hunted Alaska, British Columbia, Kyrgyzstan and Spain, climbed in 8 different mountain ranges in 3 months and yes it was hard and yes it hurt and at times i wished I was in even better shape, but I enjoyed every second I was in those mountains. I never held any guides up and I packed my share of weight all because I've done it so much that I knew I could.
Stop worrying so much and enjoy the process. Mentally prepare yourself to believe that you'll push your way through the pain and exhaustion, no matter how many days you hunt. You'll enjoy the whole experience a lot more if you'll accept that no matter how far, how high or how long it takes you'll perform.
Oh and don't worry about the altitude. I train my muscles, those will not imporve on a hunt, but after a few days at altitude, your wind will come. i hunted as high as 17,000 this past year.

Posts: 443 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

If you are going to the SCI Convention, this is a don't miss seminar.

[–] Acclimatization for High Altitude Hunts J. Y. Jones 01/26/2013
10:30 AM - 11:30 AM A1
Description:
This seminar covers physical training before a hunt at high altitude, altitude adaption regimens before and during the hunt, medications (types and dosages) to prevent and treat altitude sickness, assessing the individual's risk of altitude-related problems, and special requirements for hunters with certain medical conditions.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9489 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scriptus:

What I was trying to say but did so poorly is that lifting 825 pounds with your legs 10 times is a lot different than climbing mountains for 10 days.

Kathi:

Thanks. I will try it . I have seen where your husband has hunted. It appears he must be incredibly fit.

I will look into the seminar. I did not know.
AH:

I know I am fit. I want to be incredibly fit and ready. I also want to be realistic. I am not 25 anymore.

My last ibex hunt was a killer. In the 2 days it took to kill the ibex, it beat me up badly. I was TIRED! In my defense, the guide said it was the 2 most difficult days he had ever had on any ibex hunt and that most clients would not have even tried it much less make it .

All:

I spoke to Hypoxico at length. If I do it, it will cost about $3,500. They have a way to make it work with my CPAP. They also report that people tend to lose some weight from use of the machine (higher altitudes burn more calories). I will probably do it .

I will quote my guide from my last ibex hunt. " Larry going up the mountain, you are an animal. Going down you are like a grandmother .". It is true and I do not know why . I have to move slowly or I feel as if I will fall. Any ideas?

Finally, I am not exactly new to mountain hunting. I have taken:

Fannin sheep (Yukon )
Desert big horn (Utah)
3 mountain goats (BC)
3 tahr (NZ and NOT from helicopters )
5 different species of ibex (Spain & Austria)
Several chamois
Blue sheep (China at 17,500)
Tibetan gazelle (China at 15,000)

My desert big horn was taken the day before by 55th birthday. I had no problems at all. I expect the Dall hunt with be much more difficult.

Thanks everyone!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was just e mailed a bunch of info from Hypoxico. I can't figure how to copy and post from my I pad. When I get home,I will post it.

They have a package for hunters.

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
57 years old.....You have a lot of sheep hunts left compared to what I have seen. I hunted the Brooks range in 2008 where I saw an outfitter take out a 70 year old client who was also a veteran sheep hunter who has hunted all over the world and still managed to drop a 40" ram on opening day. The outfitter told me about a third of his clients are over 60.....good luck to you, should be fine on your Dall hunt , look forward to the pics and story ......CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Hypoxico has its limitations for many. For example , I have sleep apnea . This excludes the tent.

Unless you have your own gym, the exercise aspect would be difficult .

My girl friend is a surgeon. She is researching the intermittent use aspect now. There seems to be some question whether it works.

Someone mentioned downhill training. Frankly, this is where i struggle. Any ideas for training for downhills where we have no hills?

Thanks again.

Does your treadmill do negative incline? Some of them have a setting where they will do a decline up to about 3 degrees. If not you could put a couple bricks under the back end and tilt it a bit. Like some have said, I don't worry about the uphill, its downhill that wipes me out. I also know that my body does not do well at altitude. I'm one of the folks who is genetically unfit to elevation.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mary Lynn is going to research this entire thing tonight. She has concerns over the medical impact , for example increased risk of heart attack . She isn't saying it is likely rather at least a possibility. Further , she is going,to call Hypoxico tomorrow.

She has a friend whose husband has been involved with various high altitude endeavors . He knows a lot about the training. She is going to speak with him as well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

My traing for my sheep hunts when I lived in AK mostly revolved around continueing to increase the weight of the pack. It seemed totake care of everything else. On my last hunt I trained with 85 pouinds for 4 miles 4-5 times a weeks and it semmed to be the trick.

I also have sleep apnea and it can kill you. Research how to keep you batteies charged on the trip. Call me if you like. I have some ideas.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13011 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote