THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Exercise in preparation of an AK backpack sheep hunt
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exercise in preparation of an AK backpack sheep hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would rather be over prepared than under prepared for this.

I am confident I can do it now. I want to make sure I can do it for 10 days if necessary.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Bill:
You have a lot of time and money invested in this already, so it is understandable, but you are way over thinking this hunt and its physical requirements. The Brooks are about as easy as it gets for a sheep hunt.

Based on your comments here, you will do just fine.

I agree,and with Larry's determination, he will be fine. But not all areas in the Brook's Range are as easy as you state. I hunted the Chamberlain Mountain area and can assure you that it was not easy.

The report:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...881060161#3881060161

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I been on my share of back packing hunts including sheep. The only exercise I do now a days is to walk about 5 miles a day and I feel I am ready to go sheep hunting and I been in both the Brooks and Wrangells. After reading your threads you will be in fine shape for any sheep hunt.

This doesnt get talked about much but I still think a persons attitude and determination are vastly more important that a persons physical abilities (within reason). Been on hunts with health nuts who lift weights and run marathons only to watch them peter out and complain. Then there are some of my friends who rarely exercise but they have the determination to climb no matter what.

Enjoy the huntSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dogman:

I just looked at your report on your hunt. Brother, that picture standing on the cliff is amazing. I am not that brave!

Thanks.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have learned one other interesting exercise. If one cranks up the treadmill to the maximum incline (in my case 30 degrees) and walks backwards, it replicates walking downhill. You feel it in the exact same muscles.

The training is going well. I walked 6 miles through the bush with a 50 pound pack on this weekend.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I have learned one other interesting exercise. If one cranks up the treadmill to the maximum incline (in my case 30 degrees) and walks backwards, it replicates walking downhill. You feel it in the exact same muscles.

The training is going well. I walked 6 miles through the bush with a 50 pound pack on this weekend.

Larry the one difference (and it is good to walk backwards on the treatmill) is you will not be putting the stress on your knees that a backpack weighted decent would.

One trick to build up a simulation for that (if you had any chance at hills or stairs) is to put milk jugs with water in your pack and climb with them. At the top empty some out for the decent. Slowly build the amount you leave full for the decent until you can carry them up and down without harm to your knees.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am, unfortunately, relegated to going over the mounds on the golf course I live on. The biggest hills we have probably rise 10 feet in 300 yards. This won't work for me.

The golf course is actually quite the obstacle course. There are mounds that are quite steep but only rise 12-15 feet at most. I manage to find between 20 & 35 of these on each hole. I also walk around the edges of the sand traps where the ground slants toward the trap. The is helping me with uneven angles.

I wish I had hills or mountains. I don't but I think I am getting a good workout on the golf course.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Larry one of my friends carried a oversized ( in length) walking stick for coming off the mountain.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
I've never been on sheep hunt, but I'd like to before I'm fifty. I'm working on loosing some weight, keeping core toned, and I walk 3 miles - 3 times per week. On preps for hunts in Alaska, I've done the walking with backpack thing. Downside to my deal is that I have almost severe scolios (all of my thorasic vertebra have fused) which has lead to arthritic hips). Now I'm starting with our new eliptical that has 20-degrees of incline.

Something simple, but I pulled this off the web several years ago: The Six Minute Hill.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

You have an impressive regimen going already.

My only comment will be that you should guard against overtraining and bringing on an injury with your drive to be super prepared.

I hope you have a great hunt.

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I agree and am concerned about injury myself. I am careful to take days to recuperate. If I feel unusually tired or sore, I bag it the next day.

I ran 8 miles yesterday morning. I worked very late last night. I woke up tired and a little sore. I woke up and decided the hell with it. Of course, the fact that it is cold (for us) made that decision easy! Wink