Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Down!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
I shot a black bear yesterday off the Seward highway road system. I'll post picts when I figure out how. I was on the way back to Anchorage when I saw several cars pulled over watching a black bear feeding on a mountian side. I stopped and glassed it. It looked like a small bear and with all the people watching it I was happy to let it go. I pulled out my spotting scope and sure enough the damn thing's front left leg was gone just bellow the elbow. So people disperse, I climb up and put the guy out of his missery. It felt more like an exicution than anything. Not quite how I envissioned my first black bear, but it had to be done. It was last year's boar. I can't believe how little meat there is on them. I know one thing I won't ever intentionally shoot a young bear like that. I learned a lot about skinning and fleshing though so I'll chalk it up to a good learning experience. Now to start working on salmon for the freezer!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
From last weekend at Johnson's Pass Trail:

Brownie tracks

Melted out from day before, but BIG!

My friend Nate and I taking a break from glassing.

Dead falls, alders, and devil's club suck. Cooling off at a creek. Need more cardio!

Yesterday:

Looking down from mountain.

Beats working!

...and the bear.

Barney's Pack does its job!

After a long night!

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats brett.

Where did ya get him at?

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
North of the Sterling Seward split on the east side.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats cool. what ya gonna do with him?

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Eat him, get the hide tanned and have the skull done. No rug though. It would look funny with 3 legs!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Congrats! I didn't think you'd have to work too hard to kill one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mark. This one was too easy, so I'm sure I'll be working hard for a big boar this fall or next spring.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, congrats, looks like too much fun. Honorable mercy killing and nice first black bear, maybe next month I can touch the skull.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
... thumb .,.,. Glad to see you don,t have the hoop on top of your pack also .. What is your shootin iron ., Did the leg look like it had been shot off , bit off , or caught in a trap ..????????? Congratulation....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Gumboot458,

The alder catcher made an apperance last weekend hence the lack of it this weekend. At least I learn quickly. Kimber 8400 Montana in .325wsm. Not sure about the leg? I doubt a car because there was no other trauma. Trap, shot, or bit would be my guess. It was healing well and had some time to do so even making me wonder if it happened this year or last fall. If it was this year the bear was out of his den for quite some time which seems improbable for a little bear, but who knows. My best guess is another boar gave him a chomp last fall after he fattened up hence he made it through the winter. He had no fat. I'm not sure if that's normal for a small bore this time of year or if he was lean because he was underweight due to the injury? I guess that's the long way of saying "I don't know."

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
nice job!

Posts: 5699 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
If your going to eat it, be sure to cook it well done. Most bears in AK. have trichinosis.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TJ:
If your going to eat it, be sure to cook it well done. Most bears in AK. have trichinosis.

Really? Is it from bait or do they naturally get it?

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Job Brett...

Jeff

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
I guess it is from all the rotten, rancid stuff they eat. I won't eat bear meat. I've seen what they eat. I'd rather boil my old boots and eat them.
I think the state is making a mistake requiring folks to bring spring bear meat home. If I brought a bear home, then got trichinosis, I'd sue the state. They know most bears have it.
Again, if you eat it, be sure to cook it well done. That kills the little worms that will get in your joints if you eat them.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
Hi you fella's, Nice to see someone else doing the right thing,how long did you have to wait for the spectators to move on?Steve. wave

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
By the time I saw him, looked thought the binnos decided I wasn't going to shoot him, looked through my spotting scope saw he was injured, and then geared up they were gone or leaving.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most bears in AK. have trichinosis.

Take that warning to heed Brett. Tric is very hard to kill, and it can kill humans. Pigs can carry it as well. The State can run tests on the meat to check for Tric. I think they take the tongue but probably any of the muscle will work. Give them a call. Better safe than sorry. Regardless, cook any of it well done.
Good hunting,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Black bear is outstanding! I made a roast last weekend. Outstanding! I used my venison/goose breast recipe that I developed.

-one lean roast cut into large chunks

-add 1 large can of cream of mushroom soup

-red wine

-minced garlic

-1 chopped onion

-portabello mushrooms

-carrots & Potatoes optional (I didn't)

-salt, pepper, Lawry's seasoning salt to taste

Cook in a crock pot on high for a minimum of 8 hours. 10-12 hours is better. Meat will cut with a fork and the liquids will form a wonderful gravy. I serve over mash potatoes or rice. Enjoy.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your bear. Black bears are good eating, very similar to wild hog.

caracal

http://www.dr-safaris.com/
Instagram: dr-safaris

Posts: 2072 | Location: Around the wild pockets of Europe | Registered: 09 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett, You could cook your boots like that and they would taste good!!

Posts: 78 | Location: Hampton, VA | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Boyd:
Brett, You could cook your boots like that and they would taste good!!

clap

I think you may be correct. When they wear out I'll let you know! Big Grin

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson