New
Find
Notify
Tools

fly in DIY moose/caribou hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can anyone recommend someone fly a hunter(s), into an area for a Moose and/or (is possible) Caribou hunt. I've been trying to get up there for a long time and figure I better get with it, or won't get done. Thanks.. would kinda like to bring the grandson along, if I can..

Thanks.

Posts: 501 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
are you from the lower 48? Have you ever had a moose on the ground before?

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look on the Alaska hunt forum Selewak moose revisited 11/27 post and let me know what you think. Did the DYI and loved it. Great hunt and half the price!

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
If you have never hunted moose before, I recommend ether going with a buddy who has, or go with a guide. Its not like shooting a whitetail or a Elk where you can back the truck up or have it in a meat shed within a few hours. Alaska an be very unforgiving. If you do, please be careful.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Read the below report of the hunt I did in 2011, it was an amazing experience. Lots of moose, caribou needs to be done separate unless you get lucky and the herd is moving through while you're there.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...8321043/m/8031021461

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskaman11:
If you have never hunted moose before, I recommend ether going with a buddy who has, or go with a guide. Its not like shooting a whitetail or a Elk where you can back the truck up or have it in a meat shed within a few hours. Alaska an be very unforgiving. If you do, please be careful.

Moose in general can be very unforgiving. I was helping a buddy in Wyoming about 25 years ago who had been lucky enough to draw a tag.
Well, after a mile or so walk we found Mr. I Got Great Big Paddles Moose. So my buddy shot him and he had the good manners to stagger off and die in a small swampy spot
Pull the moose inch by inch out of the lilly pond, wet up to our armpits and cold as hell. Start a fire to dryn off. Gut it, cape it, bone it out and then start about twenty trips out of the hills loaded with meat that took three days. Dam near killed me and I was in good shape back then. And this was a Shiras which is about 3/4 the size of a Yukon
There is an old joke in Wyoming.
A fellow walks into a bar and said "where is the best place to shoot a moose out here" an old timer at the bar said "next to the road"
I think it applies equally well to Alaska. Prior to pulling the trigger, know how your going to get it out and preferably have willing help

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
agree, think about it before you pull the trigger or let go of the arrow. It might only seem like a mile and a half from camp, but it can turn into a mile and half from hell! Get a guide and prevent the pain. Oh ya, i almost forgot, you might have to deal with the brown VW bugs with fur and teeth. I love the idea of putting Moose into the same group as Brown Bear/Grizzly Sheep and Goat. IE non residents can only hunt with a guide.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love the idea of putting Moose into the same group as Brown Bear/Grizzly Sheep and Goat. IE non residents can only hunt with a guide

I am sure the guides would love it too.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fly-in Moose Hunting

Lloyd and Bruce fly in to the Alaskan interior to go moose hunting. They have a good hunt, and both manage to get a large moose. When the plane returns to pick them up, the pilot looks at the animals and says, "This little plane won't lift all of us, the equipment, and both of these animals--you'll have to leave one. We'd never make it over the trees on the take-off."

"That's baloney", says Bruce.

"Yeah," Lloyd agrees, "you're just chicken. We came out here last year and got two moose and that pilot had some guts; he wasn't afraid to take off."

"Yeah," said Bruce, "and his plane wasn't any bigger than yours!"

The pilot got angry, and said, "Well, if he did it, then I can do it, I can fly as well as anybody!" They loaded up, taxied at full throttle, and the plane almost made it, but didn't have the lift to clear the trees at the end of the lake. It clipped the top, then flipped, then broke up, scattering the baggage, animal carcasses, and passengers all through the brush.

Still alive, but shaken and dazed, the pilot sat up, shook his head to clear it, and said "Where are we?"

Bruce rolled out from being thrown in a bush, looked around, and said, "I'd say, about a hundred yards further than last year

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post

Come now, whats the worst that could happen?

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The State of Alaska at it's finest!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tysue:
Can anyone recommend someone fly a hunter(s), into an area for a Moose and/or (is possible) Caribou hunt. I've been trying to get up there for a long time and figure I better get with it, or won't get done. Thanks.. would kinda like to bring the grandson along, if I can..

Thanks.

Based on Greg Brownlee's and twilli's reports, my buddy and I contacted Greg last year and turned in for the draw to do an un-guided hunt. We were successful, so we will be hunting with Sportsman's Air Service this September!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you've never been involved with a moose kill, I think ya better think twice. We have a saying around our moose camp which is located on a river & slough. "If ya can't shoot him so he falls into the river boat, don't shoot."
There was 1 bull taken near our camp last season - the guy got him at 8P.M. just as the sun was going down and it was about 1/4 mile away from the slough our camp sits on. This guy is a bit older than the rest of us so my other partner & I grabbed packboards, knives, game bags, etc. After about 2 1/2 hours and what seemed like 1 million "no-seeum" bites the 2 of us had that bull dressed out. We left the meat covered with the hide for the night. Next day, we took the raft as far up the slough as we could and then the 2 of us packed the meat out to the raft. My one partner is able to haul a hind quarter on his back with some help to stand up. I can't - I can take a front quarter. Then, we floated the raft over to our camp and hung the meat. Both of my hands were swollen for about a week from the no-seeum bites.
This is just an example of a typical moose hunt in our camp. Do you really wanna try it alone and with no previous experience?
In short, "There ain't no such thing as a "little" moose.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The people advising you on how big a moose is and the difficulty in packing one out are giving you good advice. Very few people that have not been on a successful moose hunt are aware of how hard it is to properly take care of and pack out the meat.
Be realistic in your assessment of your physical ability and how hard you want to work.
If you understand the magnitude of what a self guided moose hunt involves and are prepared physically and mentally it can be very rewarding.
Two Air services that I like are 40 Mile Air (907) 883-5191 or Mike McCreary (907) 209-0119
Good Luck

Jerry Jacques
Alaska Master Guide #110

Posts: 36 | Location: Iliamna Alaska | Registered: 10 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
listen to us, moose hunting is fun till you pull the trigger. get a guide, you will thank us!

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

Come now, whats the worst that could happen?

Shannon's Pond carnage!

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
listen to us, moose hunting is fun till you pull the trigger. get a guide, you will thank us!

Yeah, you may be right, I notice how miserable Greg and twilli look in all the pictures in their reports. Roll Eyes

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
If you've done a (successful) mountain backpack hunt for elk before then IMO a moose float is much easier. If you have no butchering skills or experience and no backpack hunting skills or experience then it may well be beyond your capability.

If you have the strength and experience then don't let all these guys scare you off. If its all brand new to you and just a dream then get a guide.

Of course what most aren't telling you is that the difference between DIY and guided is probably about a delta starting at $9,000!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
We flew out of Kotzbue Alaska last year on a DIY caribou hunt. The weather was horrible, typical Alaska, and basically ruined the caribou migration due rain and not snow. But plenty of caribou out of Kotzbue if you can hit the migration right and find one of those DIY flight services up there that care as most of them do not. You need at least 2 experienced hunters as hunt can be dangerous if one is not careful and experienced with Alaska bush. Beautiful and will kill or hurt you quick.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted moose several times and have been the trigger man or involved in over half a dozen moose kills. They are a lot of work to break down and aren't the funnest thing to carry on your back. Be prepared for some hard work if you get one down.

That being said, if you are confident in your abilities then go for it!! Moose hunting is a ton of fun, especially interacting with rutting bulls. To me the hiring of a guide doesn't mean that all of the hard work is instantly passed onto him. For folks that view it like that they are merely shooters. If you're physically capable of carrying the pieces back to your raft or landing strip then your skills as a hunter and butcher are what you need to take an honest evaluation of. If you aren't to sure about the breaking down of an animal then buy a meat processing DVD from Cabela's or look on youtube. If you think you have the abilities as a hunter then all you need is the proper mindset.

The last time I hunted moose with a tag in hand we had two animals down within 50 yards of each other. In 1 hour and 20 minutes I had both animals dressed and quartered with limited help from my old man. Note that these were meat animals and the cape wasn't taken for a shoulder mount. Working at a butcher shop/slaughterhouse as an after school job helped me learn how to break an animal down in a hurry and it carries over directly to hunting.

Best of luck if you go on either hunt!!

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can Canadians do DIY hunts in Alaska?

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted caribou on a DIY hunt in Alaska approximately 30 years ago. And that was the last year Canadians could hunt there without a guide. It was very tough backpacking caribou about 9 or 10 hours back to camp ... If that had been a moose we would have had to eat it where it fell ... Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Packing out a moose is one heck of an ordeal no matter how good a shape you are in or how tough you may think you are. I would do it again, but it better be one big bull!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I did a solo hunt on an archery tag I drew for the Dalton Hwy north of Coldfoot, and I put in a couple miles when I dropped a 61" bull. 13 round trips and 2 1/2 days later I finally had him packed out. When I GPS'd my truck from the kill site i was right at 1 mile as the crow flies. This was my first moose hunt and when I walked up to my fallen bull....the first thing that came to my mind was.....why did I do this and why are they sooooo BIG !!!! my back was killing me after packing him all out, the heaviest hind quarter weighed 138 lbs......Now that I think about it , I'm ready to do it again, it was a great and rewarding experience.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I love the idea of putting Moose into the same group as Brown Bear/Grizzly Sheep and Goat. IE non residents can only hunt with a guide

What does a hunter's residency have to do with it. Are all hunters from the lower 48 a bunch of wimps and resident Alaska hunters all Supermen?

Wyoming has a similar law requiring non-resident hunters to have a guide if they are hunting in Federally designated Wilderness Areas.
I can and have successfully hunted sheep, elk, and moose on many occasions in Federal Wilderness Areas in Montana. These were all DIY hunts and several were solo where I was hunting alone. However if I want to hunt anything in a Wilderness a few miles away in Wyoming, I would have to hire a guide. But any Wyoming resident, maybe even a first time hunter who may not have ever even been in the mountains, can hunt anything he has a tag for anywhere in the state.

As for the DIY Alaska moose hunts. Yes, I know that moose are big. I have been on 3 DIY Montana moose hunts (and that Alaska moose are bigger than Montana moose). Two of my own and a 3rd where I took a friend in and he shot a 49" B&C bull. All 3 of these bulls were shot in Wilderness Areas 3-4 miles from the nearest road, and we brought all quarters and heads out without any problems. My two bulls had 50" and 40" antlers and I shot my second bull on a solo hunt.

My point is that not all non-resident hunters are bumbling neophytes that need a guide to hold their hand in the woods.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanawannabe:
Can Canadians do DIY hunts in Alaska?

No. "Nonresident alien hunters must be accompanied in the field by an Alaska-licensed guide to hunt any big game animal. The guide must be within 100 yards of the nonresident alien when they attempt to take game."

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buffybr:
quote:
quote:

What does a hunter's residency have to do with it. Are all hunters from the lower 48 a bunch of wimps and resident Alaska hunters all Supermen?

Wyoming has a similar law requiring non-resident hunters to have a guide if they are hunting in Federally designated Wilderness Areas.
I can and have successfully hunted sheep, elk, and moose on many occasions in Federal Wilderness Areas in Montana. These were all DIY hunts and several were solo where I was hunting alone. However if I want to hunt anything in a Wilderness a few miles away in Wyoming, I would have to hire a guide. But any Wyoming resident, maybe even a first time hunter who may not have ever even been in the mountains, can hunt anything he has a tag for anywhere in the state.

As for the DIY Alaska moose hunts. Yes, I know that moose are big. I have been on 3 DIY Montana moose hunts (and that Alaska moose are bigger than Montana moose). Two of my own and a 3rd where I took a friend in and he shot a 49" B&C bull. All 3 of these bulls were shot in Wilderness Areas 3-4 miles from the nearest road, and we brought all quarters and heads out without any problems. My two bulls had 50" and 40" antlers and I shot my second bull on a solo hunt.

My point is that not all non-resident hunters are bumbling neophytes that need a guide to hold their hand in the woods.

There are many factors on why i don't want nonresidents hunting moose. Mostly deal with protecting the nonresident hunters. Lets look at trophy judgment. Many ares of Alaska are a Spike/Fork or 50 inch with 3 brow-tines or 4 brow-tines. When you have a bull out there at 75 to 300 yards, I can tell you its damn hard to see if that Bull is 48 inches or 55 inches. Sure there are tricks people say they have, but I tell you, when it comes down to it, its a SWAG or a Scientific Wild ass Guess. Does that point constitute a brow tine?

Another major point is looking at the cases of want-in waist. Very serious crime here in Alaska. I've heard statistics showing that over 70% of the tickets and convictions issued over Want-in waste were on nonresidence. And to be quite frank about this that's unacceptable. I can tell you horror stories of friends I have live on the major rivers. Non-resident hunters come down the river's on float trips, you can smell them coming several hundred yards down wind from them because the meat has started to spoil because they don't know had to deal with meat for a week or two weeks.

Carrying for meat is a major part of it as well. Let's look at the average hunter from the lower 48. He gone shoot their Whitetail, they backed the truck up to it or pull it out with a four wheeler. Within a few hours, the deer or elk is back in a meat processing facility words being taken care of. When you're 75 miles up the squirrel river north of Kotzebue, or 50 miles outside of Mcgrath. There is not that luxury.

Don't even get me started on bear mitigation. Alaska's not Wyoming, it's not Montana, it's Idaho, is vastly different.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

There are many factors on why i don't want nonresidents hunting moose. Mostly deal with protecting the nonresident hunters. Lets look at trophy judgment. Many ares of Alaska are a Spike/Fork or 50 inch with 3 brow-tines or 4 brow-tines. When you have a bull out there at 75 to 300 yards, I can tell you its damn hard to see if that Bull is 48 inches or 55 inches. Sure there are tricks people say they have, but I tell you, when it comes down to it, its a SWAG or a Scientific Wild ass Guess. Does that point constitute a brow tine?

Another major point is looking at the cases of want-in waist. Very serious crime here in Alaska. I've heard statistics showing that over 70% of the tickets and convictions issued over Want-in waste were on nonresidence. And to be quite frank about this that's unacceptable. I can tell you horror stories of friends I have live on the major rivers. Non-resident hunters come down the river's on float trips, you can smell them coming several hundred yards down wind from them because the meat has started to spoil because they don't know had to deal with meat for a week or two weeks.

Carrying for meat is a major part of it as well. Let's look at the average hunter from the lower 48. He gone shoot their Whitetail, they backed the truck up to it or pull it out with a four wheeler. Within a few hours, the deer or elk is back in a meat processing facility words being taken care of. When you're 75 miles up the squirrel river north of Kotzebue, or 50 miles outside of Mcgrath. There is not that luxury.

Don't even get me started on bear mitigation. Alaska's not Wyoming, it's not Montana, it's Idaho, is vastly different.

What is "Want-in Waist"? Sounds like a diet plan. I'm guessing you mean wanton waste?

No, Alaska is not Wyoming, but, so far, everyone I have met here can count past four which is all that is needed for a legal non-resident moose.

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

What is "Want-in Waist"? Sounds like a diet plan. I'm guessing you mean wanton waste?

No, Alaska is not Wyoming, but, so far, everyone I have met here can count past four which is all that is needed for a legal non-resident moose.

Want-in Waist.... Very simple, getting all the legal meat off of the animal. There will be Troopers waiting with a scale at jump off places (ie Airports, and Villages, they will weigh your games bags. They will write you up, they will take your rifle, and 4 wheeler and whatever else you have if you leave meat in the field. We are talking about the meat between the ribs. State Troops dont screw around

As for field Judging, lets see how you do,

What one would you shoot?

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Want-in Waist.... Very simple, getting all the legal meat off of the animal. There will be Troopers waiting with a scale at jump off places (ie Airports, and Villages, they will weigh your games bags. They will write you up, they will take your rifle, and 4 wheeler and whatever else you have if you leave meat in the field. We are talking about the meat between the ribs. State Troops dont screw around

I'll try to be more clear: The violation you are trying to reference is called, "Wanton Waste." Wanton means: "deliberate," and waste means: "to use, consume, spend, or expend thoughtlessly or carelessly."

There is no such violation as "Want-in Waist". Waist: is the portion of the human body between the hips and ribs. Want-in: is the psychic message my dog sends me when I leave her out in the cold too long. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lhook7:
quote:

I'll try to be more clear: The violation you are trying to reference is called, "Wanton Waste." Wanton means: "deliberate," and waste means: "to use, consume, spend, or expend thoughtlessly or carelessly."

There is no such violation as "Want-in Waist". Waist: is the portion of the human body between the hips and ribs. Want-in: is the psychic message my dog sends me when I leave her out in the cold too long. Big Grin

Funny thing is, I'm at the office, trying to do work, type this with posting pictures at the same time...I guess the moral of the story is do one thing well at a time versus through four things at a time doing a crappy job...sorry. You understand what I'm trying to convey here.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I think 1, 3 & 4 are legal.

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not one to try to talk anyone out of there dream hunt. And if that hunt is an DIY Alaskan moose hunt then I wish them the best of luck.
But, hunting up here is not the same as hunting in WY and one of the main reasons is the type of ground found in Alaska, tundra, musskeg, what is commonly called by some hunters as "N" heads, etc.

Think a hunt for moose in WY is the same? Not a chance. 1 mile carrying a quarter up here is like 5 miles down there. Then you have the size difference. One area we hunt requires the neck and quarters be brought out intact. A bull my friend shot about 5 years ago was bigger than normal and 9 days after he shot it the neck alone weighed 186 pounds on a certified scale at the meat processing place he dropped it off at.

Please come up and enjoy our hunting and hopefully you will score on a moose of your dreams. But just know what you are getting yourself in for.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
one will get you a ticket! There is no way that guy is at 50 inchs and it only has 2 browtines!
quote:
Originally posted by Colorado Bob:
I think 1, 3 & 4 are legal.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
You fellow Alaskan gents are correct in all you say. Moose hunting is not easy and that is why I gave it up 20 years ago. Being single, I gave away most of the meat from caribou and moose. A friendly "thank you" did not begin to cover my effort.
It would be interesting to cite how many tickets are given to out of state hunters who can't remove all of the moose from the kill area.
Africa is sooooo much easier.
Cheers, all.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Number three looks good to me but what do I know I am from Africa.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9871 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
"Want-in waist"!!!!!!!! That is just too rich right there. If you're going to lecture somebody on a particular violation at least know how to spell it. Oh God, that's funny!

Honestly, thank you for the laugh, I needed that today

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
Number three looks good to me but what do I know I am from Africa.
#3 is a real nice bull. real heavy. Thats what I like in them. Not being able to look at him straight on, its kinda hard to tell, but I think he is in the 55 inch class. Its much easier to tell when the palms will lay flat. This bull curls in a bit like a basket.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, you and I should give this a go. We just need to figure out how to get a Landcruiser in there so that we can load up our bulls. dancing

Seriously, Alaska is a dream to me. I always comment on how much easier (or different I suppose) most of Africa is compared to much of North American and obviously Alaska in many respects.

Packing out meat is done very seldom here. In the mountains of the Western and Eastern Cape there is often a bit of carrying and I've had Eland in a sled down a mountain and bushbuck out of a valley in KZN that felt like forever, but skinning and butchering and carrying out piece by piece is not very common here in my experience.

An Alaskan moose hunt sounds like a real experience and I think sorting the meat out is a part of that. You probably need to do it yourself once, but doing it yourself once may be enough? Roll Eyes

Posts: 690 | Location: JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA | Registered: 17 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alaskaman11:
Wot the "ell? I'd shoot 'em all. Our area is any bull and I only want to fill the freezer.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote