Tools

Trophy Fee(s)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I have checked references of a client before. They tell me two or three horror stories and I email the guides they hunted with to find out the other side. That’s a red flag to me when I hear multiple bad stories in a row…they all only have one common denominator. Lol

I wasn't divulging my secrets

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess mines not a secret. Lol

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Alaskan Sourdough:
quote:
Originally posted by Howard:
Phil tu2

What you say about the time for pack out etc makes sense. Considering the logistics of AK hunting I’d find it reasonable and expected that this time takes away from client “hunting” time.

It’s all in clearly communicating expectations on both sides.

My conclusion here is that “trophy fee” doesn’t have a standard definition and specifics need to be obtained from the outfitter in question.

Howard.

Just aware that you may have "Clearly Communicated Expectations" With the Guide who signed the "contract" between you and him. Likely no problems if he/she is actually the person guiding you in the field. That might not work, if you end up in the field with a guide he hired. It could be different then the agreement he/she has with the guide hired.

Shouldn’t the outfitter make sure that the actual guide is well aware of the clients desires??

Absolutely! The guides in the field work directly under the guide/outfitter who signed the contract and Is legally responsible for their conduct. And state law requires the guide/outfitter be in the game unit while the hunt is in progress.

I would say in the industry it's about 50/50 if the outfitter is also guiding clients on hunts themselves. But they have to be in close proximity and personally talk with the client to make sure he was satisfied and sign the end of the hunt report!

Phil,

I've never been presented a hunter satisfaction report?

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Phil tu2

What you say about the time for pack out etc makes sense. Considering the logistics of AK hunting I’d find it reasonable and expected that this time takes away from client “hunting” time.

My conclusion here is that “trophy fee” doesn’t have a standard definition and specifics need to be obtained from the outfitter in question.

Howard.

Just aware that you may have "Clearly Communicated Expectations" With the Guide who signed the "contract" between you and him. Likely no problems if he/she is actually the person guiding you in the field. That might not work, if you end up in the field with a guide he hired. It could be different then the agreement he/she has with the guide hired.

Shouldn’t the outfitter make sure that the actual guide is well aware of the clients desires??

Absolutely! The guides in the field work directly under the guide/outfitter who signed the contract and Is legally responsible for their conduct. And state law requires the guide/outfitter be in the game unit while the hunt is in progress.

I would say in the industry it's about 50/50 if the outfitter is also guiding clients on hunts themselves. But they have to be in close proximity and personally talk with the client to make sure he was satisfied and sign the end of the hunt report!

Phil,

When was the last time you hunted with a guide in Alaska?
And with whom ? Those laws have been in effect for over a dozen years

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Phil tu2

Howard.

Phil,

On our hunt report we are required to do a follow up with the client I believe might be what your calling the satisfaction report. It’s not a formal form just a conversation that takes place.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Phil tu2

Howard.

Phil,

When was the last time you hunted with a guide in Alaska?
And with whom ? Those laws have been in effect for over a dozen years

Been a while I guess. I hunted Deadman's Bay with Tom Kirstein in 98, unsuccessfully. Then sort of a make up deal at his Peninsula camp at Ugashik in 99'

Then I did a great Moose Hunt around Farewell Lake on the Kuskokwim in 2001. (Cathy Frost)

Dall Sheep with John Peterson in 2012 I believe? On that one, I did get a questionnaire from the agent (here) that I refused to fill out.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3377 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Phil tu2

Howard.

Phil,

On our hunt report we are required to do a follow up with the client I believe might be what your calling the satisfaction report. It’s not a formal form just a conversation that takes place.

It is a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for the guide who booked the hunt to fill out the SFR/end of hunt report and personally ask the client how satisfied they were with the hunt and guide who assisted them in the field !

The law has been in effect for many years and was meant to make sure the claims of malfeasance like Alaskan Sourdough claim are addressed !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot