THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best snowshoes for hunting? What boots with them? Poles?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best snowshoes for hunting? What boots with them? Poles?
 Login/Join

One Of Us
posted
Hi all,

My rawhide and wood Bear Paws have just kicked the bucket and I want to upgrade.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. The BEST modern snowshoes for off-trail trekking, trapping and late season big game hunting. I would also use them for general fitness walks or scouting trips.

2. Moderate terrain, though may want to climb a steep mountain side from time to time.

3. Load capacity average of 210 pounds (myself and light gear, rifle etc.) but if packing animals will occassionally reach 250-300 pounds. I may, on occassion, carry a heavy pack or am in fluffy snow and want to stay on top but on average my total weight on the snowshoes will be 210 pounds.
4. Strong bindings with easy on-off

I am looking for suggestions or comments on my top picks so far:
1. Atlas 1230 Snowshoes (weight 4.5 pounds)30" long,rated 170-250 pounds
2. Atlas Frontier 36 Snowshoes (weight 6 pounds), 36" long, rated 220-300 pounds

Photo:

I am torn between these two models as for 90%+ of my time, I will be under the 250 pound weight load, yet if I need the extra capacity, I may really need it. The longer model is about 1.5 pounds heavier. It will also not be as maneuverable in brush or thick forest conditions. Both are the same price and I am willing to pay more for lighter, stronger if they exist.

What boots do you typically wear with yours (Pack boots, insulated hiking/hunting boots)?

If you also have a suggestion on a single or pair of trekking poles (Winter and/or Autumn use) that might double as a rifle bi- or monopod, I am all ears.

Thanks in advance for your experience sharing!

P.S. I am renting both models next week to try them out.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.crescentmoonsnowshoes.com/

check these out...

the silver series expedition is what you need but the gold is better (not by much) and the silver represents the better value

they are good for heavy loads or deep snow. i was led on to these by a guy at a great shop who did not even sell them so he had nothing to gain and evrything to lose but my trust. i weigh 250 with all my gear so these are ideal and great for the price. a great value!

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Boom stick, I took a look-thanks. They have potential, but to my knowledge, are not available in Canada for me to even try a pair. I seem to have to choose among Tubbs, Atlas, Faber, MSR and a few others.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've had a pair of Atlas snowshoes for about 15 years now, and am quite fond of them. My wife has a pair of 30", and I have a pair of the 36". I don't find the extra weight of the 36" shoes to be that big of an issue, though when going through tight stuff, the smaller ones are a benefit. I prefer the flotation of the larger shoes.

Pack boots are too big to fit in the bindings, I like a pair of mountaineering boots.

I use cross country ski poles, relatively light and inexspensive for the touring ones, also make a great standing bypod.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Atlas snowshoes for sale. I am now in Florida.....use them rarely. Must measure them. Will. E-mail me for pictures.
aax1@bellsouth.net

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I weigh 225, and would consider the 30" shoes too small for deep snow, and the 250# rating optomistic. Snow type has a huge effect on flotation, fine granular snow will have you sinking waste deep even with snowshoes on, by wetter snow has much better flotation.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MSR is the only way to go IF you will be walking on steep grades because of their biting edge.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your inputs.

I'll be taking the weekend off to try a few pairs out.

Remind me to report back if you don't hear from me by Jan. 16th.

Cheers,
CL