New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bear Charge
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, I watched the movie. Shoot into the dirt!? F#@* idiot? I will first admit I have zero experience with grizzly's, but it didn't look like there was much time to think about what to do. The guy made an honest attempt to stop the charge and shot when the bear was too close for any other response. Sometimes shit happens, and it is always easy to criticize after the fact. It looks to me like a damn good thing he did shoot.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have lived in Alaska for 30 years, have taken lots of game, love to hunt, back up hunters for a living. BUT, every time I see a staged hunt with bad shooting and "for film" decisions, I feel bad. True, Mr Allen did his job of protecting his clientelle (Cabella's), but probably felt just as bad as I do. The client was so nervous or inept that he couldn't even chamber a second round. WOW !! Is that all we have left ????

i'd rather be lucky

Posts: 84 | Location: alaska | Registered: 10 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
And if you watched the bowhunting portion where he arrowed that big bull, you can see that the guy wasn't a very good shot. 2 very marginal shots and 1 very good one, i can't say that I blame the guide for not letting him shoot the brownie with his bow.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good on everbody involved that no-one was hurt or killed for that matter. As far as Mr. Allen "backing me up any day". Heck yeah, if he were to back me up on one of his next 8 hunts.
(Thinkin' he may have cashed in one of his "9" lives on that cabelas episode.)

Boy, how we act when it hits the fan!
Struck me as kinda' out of place that the client took his eyes off the boar, fully turning around to check if the camera man "had the shot". Even the camera man replied "WHAT???", seemingly in disbelief that he wasn't looking the other way, towards that brownie? I mean great for TV, and glad the lens cap wasn't still on for all our benefit, most importantly Mr. Allen's, as it definitely provided ADF&G a clear depiction of how it went down better than any statement could have. No questions, she was after him like Mr. Allen owed her money.

But fella, your guide put you onto your boar, there he is, maybe next time stop flapping the gums and get focused 110% on your task at hand. That boar could have developed attitude just as the sow did in the split second the client decided to inquire on the camera status.

Mr. Allen may have only "7" left noticing the part just before the clients 2nd shot at the boar. Good or lucky on the client for calling out "he's still up, wanna take him again". Glad to see that split second worked out as well. A person could have easily received that message that the client wanted the guide to step up and take a shot to anchor the boar. You see Mr. Allen clearly stepping back out of the client's line of fire after noticing the clients barrel down for shot #2 on the boar.
(When I saw that part, it made me think of Paul H's reply on the unfortunate Beluga Lake shooting accident back in August 2005. Think we all learned from that one. Since then, I try my best to keep my line of fire and that of my fellow hunters in check when in the woods.)

Good job Mr. Allen protecting the client and good on the the assistant guide for getting a bead on the sow as well.

Hope the man upstairs blesses you with an endless number of (and a lot than "7" or "8")
safe hunts in the future,

p.e. n' sitka

Posts: 37 | Location: KODIAK, AK | Registered: 27 August 2005Reply With Quote