Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Brown Bear Guide/Outfitter
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a recommendation for a premier Guide/Outfitter that has a repution of taking 9 foot plus bears. My New year resolution is that I'm going to do this thing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Brent Jones at AAA alaskan outfitters, I hunted with him last spring, he runs a 1st class outfit all the wAY.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...731068231#1731068231

Posts: 186 | Location: langley,BC | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You would be very hard pressed to find a better person, a better guide, or better outfit than Paul Chervenak's "Kodiak Outdoor Adventures". Was lucky enough to get a 9'7" bear with him, while my partner the same hunt took a monster 10'3"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jake Jefferson guided me on a Kodiak 10'0". His handle on this forum is FOURTYONESIX. He outfits a first rate hunt.

Posts: 38 | Location: Louisiana  | Registered: 30 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
We still have openings for May 2012 if that interests you.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wesley timmerman
posted Hide Post
You will not go wrong with Kelly Vrem Rough and Ready Outfitters. I have hunted many times with them and they are always top shelf.
Thanks
wesley

Posts: 674 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Phil Shoemaker who posted above

Grizzly Skins

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been very fortunate to hunt with Phil Shoemaker and his family on two spring bear hunts over the past decade. Seeing his post above causes me to think about a 3rd. I have also done an unguided spring bear hunt in an area about 10 miles from Phil's concession. His area, bordering the Katmai National Park, must be one of the most beautiful and finest places to hunt bear in Alaska. I would be happy to answer any questions if you care to PM me.

Gary

Posts: 80 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia, USA | Registered: 13 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hunted several times with Dan Montgomery, Alaska Trophy Adventures. They are a small operation and are 100% on bear down on the Penninsula. I beleive they recently took the new #1 muzzleloader B.B.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you Have a Pm

Posts: 1457 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to also try Ralph Miller and Deltana Outfitters. They take very good bears and are a very well run outfit.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Tracy Vrem at the DSC Show on Thursday.

He told me he has two openings.
www.bluemountainlodge.com

Joe Klutsch also has openings. I talked to him too.
www.katmaiguideservice.com

Good luck.

Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Bob Cusack ? Good or bad ? Good area ?

AD

Posts: 2637 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Kell Vrem. shot a 9'9" brownie and was treated like great................. patriot

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Hi Phil,
Do you still have opening for 2012? There is a SLIM chance, we could make it. Trying to get the business back up and running.

Posts: 239 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Todd, 2012 is a May hunt and we could still fit you in. give us a call or e-mail. Would love to have you back.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Karl Braendel is another excellent Kodiak Island Brown Bear guide. His hunts are 15 days and he produces big bears. His hunt are physical by nature but produce big bears. Average is 9 1/2 feet but each year some are larger and he averages a 10' bear yearly. Hunts are spring and fall but your generally looking at a year out just to get an opening. He offers Moose and Dall Sheep too. One of the best Brown Bear guides I know. For those who prefer a yacht based hunt, I have an excellent Guide but we're already half booked for 2012.

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6805 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave Leonard, Mountain Monarchs of Alaska, runs a top-notch camp in the Izembek Refuge, lower peninsula. I think 2010 spring season, smallest bear was 9'8", largest 11'2". Great hunt, great area.

Posts: 200 | Location: Garner, TX | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:
Dave Leonard, Mountain Monarchs of Alaska, runs a top-notch camp in the Izembek Refuge, lower peninsula. I think 2010 spring season, smallest bear was 9'8", largest 11'2". Great hunt, great area.

tu2 Dave is a Top Notch Guide

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheepman:
I'm looking for a recommendation for a premier Guide/Outfitter that has a repution of taking 9 foot plus bears. My New year resolution is that I'm going to do this thing!

I hunted with Bill Steveson of Alaska Outfitters a few years ago. I dont think you could find a better outfitter.

PM me if you have any questions

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aggie:

Do you know what the success percentage was?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I was in that camp this past year. 100% of clients shot bears, 1 out of those lost a lightly wounded bear, shot at about 60 yds but poorly hit. They looked for that bear for 2 days, but the blood trail petered out very shortly (couple hundred yds), the snow was fairly deep and the tracks crossed 2 mtns before they gave up on him.

They reckon that bear was near 11', but of course we'll never know.

That is a great area, seriously one of the best areas for big brownies, and Dave runs a top notch camp. For your part, you need to be able to get up the mountain (maybe in deep snow) and shoot straight when the opportunity presents itself. Weather is unpredictable in that area, and may play a part in your hunt. But be well prepared, fit, and practiced. Those guys have a vested interest in getting you an opportunity on a good bear. No-one will try harder.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Aggie, I'll make sure Dave is on my short list. I have to wait until summer to make sure my health is coming around, so I may have to book for spring of 2013.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

They hunt that area spring of even years and fall of odd years, I believe. You might check. I think there are several areas where that is the case, so you can plan your bookings accordingly. Good luck where ever you choose.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks much Aggie!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WV2WY:
I hunted with Bill Steveson of Alaska Outfitters

+1

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote