New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pebble Mine?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Brett, I posted the original question on this. I did not post it as a way to 'solve the problem", but as a way to see how the discussion went. In general I am quite impressed with the level of discourse! What many have alluded to is quite obvious to anyone who gives this a moment of thought, namely, the objective of corporations is to maximize profits, nothing else! Now you can agree to this and say: "well that's OK as long as I (or other Alaskans) get their cut, or you can say: "well there is more at stake here than just a few years of wealth, what happens after that? Who cleans up the mess (aka superfund)?".
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Just giving you a hard time Peter.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
rat:
I assume, when you say "gouge a 40 mile scar", your talking about building a road?
Yea right. Then every road in Alaska ruins the salmon runs?
Next time your in Anchorage picking up supplies, enjoy the roads. Cool

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
If you want to see the difference that roads make take a look at the Kenai Peninsula and the Alaska Peninsula.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4206 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Nope , we need another real big city in Alaska , and I think out there on the peninsula is the perfect spot for it ..... Look at all the benifits a local resident could enjoy ... Get to go shoot some of the biggest brown bears there are ... World class moose hunting ... Awesome fishing .. Lots of good money work at the biggest gold mine in the world ... Sign me up boys !!!!!!!!!!

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
World class moose hunting

Not anymore. Not because of the mine but tell me how it would help.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Sorry Ak. I was just pokin at Jim and Phil .... wave rotflmo

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Ah you just made me think about when it was world class.

We really need to get out there and kill a bunch of bears rake in some decent money doing it and restore the moose to the Koktuli river.

Thats a win win for everyone now if only we can get the econamy back on track so I can book up hunters to do this all will be great.

I guess the subsistance hunters in S.W. AK can thank Obama for that.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Ah you just made me think about when it was world class.

We really need to get out there and kill a bunch of bears rake in some decent money doing it and restore the moose to the Koktuli river.

Thats a win win for everyone now if only we can get the econamy back on track so I can book up hunters to do this all will be great.

I guess the subsistance hunters in S.W. AK can thank Obama for that.

I certainly don't want to re start a useless and un winnable arguement, but I will note with trepidation your thought about the lack of tourism or the lack of economic prosperity derived from tourism could be a motivating factor in the development of the mine.

The lack of an economy derived from either commercial or recreational renewable resources can be a motivation to try something else. Unfortunately this region hasn't yet been able to capitalize on salmon et al the way the Copper River region, Kenai Peninsula or Sitka has. Were we able to thrive as a community in the same fashion those examples have I doubt there'd be much serious talk about the mine.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Scott
good point I'll admit but your post in it's self makes the case that there are other working models capitalizing on the renewable natrural resources that we want to protect.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Scott
good point I'll admit but your post in it's self makes the case that there are other working models capitalizing on the renewable natrural resources that we want to protect.

I 100% agree with you and making that case as you say was part of my intention. As I have mentioned earlier in this thread, a renewable resource based economy is certainly cleaner and safer than a mine but would also just as certainly contain a degredation in outdoor opportunities or abundance. The only reason the Nushagak River drainage contains the excellent outdoor opportunities it does at this time is because there is no development, no real resource utilization of scale of any kind excepting the king salmon fishing camps near the village of Portage Creek. Were this drainage utilized in the same fashion or to the same degree the Kenai River is the Nushagak would degrade the same as the Kenai has in bank erosion, salmon run return limitations and general pollution. Currently I believe the fishing hours estimated per non guided king salmon caught on the Kenai to be 30. Speaking from experience, 20-30 kings can be caught per 8 hour day on the Nushagak when its really good.

Perhaps a good metaphor would be to say that framing with a 20 oz hammer, (renewable resource based economy,) could cause a lot less harm to ones thumb than framing with a 10# sledgehammer, (non renewable resource based economy). The variable being never getting that 20 oz'er in ones hand, and after many years of beating the nails in with ones head finding the big sledge laying on the doorstep.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I coud say a lot about this but it kind of speaks for it's self.

http://www.adn.com/money/indus...g/story/1136582.html

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
I coud say a lot about this but it kind of speaks for it's self.

http://www.adn.com/money/indus...g/story/1136582.html

Akshooter....nuff said.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote