THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Truthfully how much bigger are Kodiak brown bears…
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truthfully how much bigger are Kodiak brown bears…
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
It wouldn't surprise me to see the brown bear record (B&C) fall at any time. There's some very big bears out there and not just on Kodiak or the Penisula. The same goes for Dall sheep!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Haven,t you ever seen any animals swimming around ..... Get out and look around you,ll see all kinds of things that some scientist will tell you , nope can,t happen ....You think those scientists Spent their whole lives out there , ... Did they collor every animal alive just to make sure none of them went for a dip in the channel ... Of course they didn,t ,,, they are trying to create a new think ............... Like the global warming scientists , ., I was hopeing someone wouldn,t post something ridiculous like Bears and wolves don,t swim ........ Most "scientists" will say what ever their benefactors tell them to just so they can get published ........ But I have seen bears swimming in salt water in the ABC,and the mainland area .....and people have told me they saw wolves swimming ..So I have no problem calling BS ..I don,t care how many doctorates they have ........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
swim walk or run, they didnt "evolve",sick of hearing that word, its bad science
a jellyfish is more complex than the computer you are looking at. do the math its impossible.
darwin didnt even have a good microscope
toys r us sells better ones for kids.
that said
if your worried about skull size, dont hunt s.e.
sombody else has already figured it out for ya

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know squat about Kodiak Island or Katmai, but what I've read about the P&T bears from Olga Bay, Frazer Lake, Karluk was pretty darned impressive and taken consistantly by their clients. Vice versa, the most jaw dropping story I recall reading was about HUGE bears around Pavlov volcano on the Pennisuala around WWI.

Are they still the same size and quantity in both locations? Are there bigger ones since P&T's camps? B&C records would tell the tale, es verdad?

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Darwin was a genius, and we can thank God for giving us the sense and will of inquiry, and the gift of scientists to enlighten us. I think it’s an intriguing fact that they have discovered, using DNA and such, showing the ABC and Kodiak brown bears have been isolated genetically for a long time, regardless of their swimming abilities. Of course they swim, but that’s beside the point. Apparently from the DNA, they haven’t evolved enough to enable them to swim over and readily exchange genetic DNA with the mainland cousins. Could be the bear nookie is just fine close to home. Big Grin Good science, keep up the good work.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
when you think about the really big bears i think the length of the salmon returns to the drainages they are around has a lot to do with it. karluk has salmon from may to december, in some shallow water. sturgeon is right next door with a huge early june run of dogs into shallow water. chignik has salmon from may to december on the penninsula, and bear river is right next door with a super long run of reds.

Posts: 1 | Location: alaska | Registered: 17 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
. Fish have alot to do with big bears , but big skulls have to do with genes , ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I have never heard of the "kodiak brown bear" as a genetic subset of the brown bears.

"Kodiak bears are a unique subspecies of the brown or grizzly bear (Ursus arctos middendorffi). They live exclusively on the islands in the Kodiak Archipelago and have been isolated from other bears for about 12,000 years."

Alaska Department of Fish & Game

I've got no dog in this race but if someone was betting a beer or two I would go with ADF&G information.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote