THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Theresa Vail bear hunt gone wrong?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theresa Vail bear hunt gone wrong?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
What amazes me most is around the net, poachers usually get pretty harshly judged by hunters - with two notable exceptions, poaching wolves and pretty poachers.

This attribute of human behavior, hyper hyprocritical judgement syndrome is something that does infect the net. Also the rabid hate of a crime against an animal compared to the ho hum response for crimes against the most innocent, children always makes my skin crawl. Both charicteristics are what fed the ovens in Poland and are feeding the open air ovens in Ramadi.
I vastly prefer to share space with the forgiving man knowing we all are sinners and as such just as far off the mark.
Best regards Sir,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just wish to see equal justice across the board for everyone. Be you an old hunch back or a Blond haired TV hunting show host. $750 fine and no tag revoke is not equal to what other HAVE and WILL CONTINUE to get as punishment. The excuse of 20-23 yrs old just doesn't cut it with me.
When I was ten I shop lifted a couple candy bars, the second I walked out of that store I knew darn well it was wrong and I wouldn't enjoy the candy so YES I turned right around and walked back in an fessed up......my punishment ( at my father's request) was indeed being charged for shoplifting as a child under 18 yrs old not to mention what my parents imposed upon me.
So yes I would have owned up at once at 20 yrs. old!!
An I have no time or respect for anyone who tries to explain away the actions of others who break the law. The world is full of such Liberal ideology, heck the USA has been rent nearly under with it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It wasn't that she poached the 2nd bear, she tried to cover it up.

Shooting the second bear was a mistake. I wasn't there and no one else on this forum was either. I can't imagine anyone just shooting two bears on purpose.

It needs to sting, but there is a level at which it should sting.

Using the word poaching I think goes pretty far afield. "I doubt", she started out this evolution to go and kill two bears. Breaking a game law doesn't make you a poacher.

This should be a couple thousand dollar fine and forfeiture of hunting ability in Alaska for a 2 year period. That is reasonable.

1. Screwed up, in what is a fairly honest mistake.

2. Lied about it, and intended to cover their tracks.

3. Lost her job, and she'll have to go back to being pretty doing something else.

She actually lost quite a bit.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muttly:
Shee-yit...
There's an old saw, you want a good game warden, hire a poacher. Most everybody fucks up somewhere along the way, and most learn from it. Sometimes it,s making some bad decisions that put you in a position to do a little soul searching. Live your life like it,s an open book....and ultimately, it is.

Very solid statement!

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
An I have no time or respect for anyone who tries to explain away the actions of others who break the law. The world is full of such Liberal ideology, heck the USA has been rent nearly under with it.

No attempt to explain "Away" anyone's actions from my ground sir. I simply make two observations, "All have sinned and come short of the Glory of God" and Forgiveness is a virtue, and being quick to judge a heavy weight to carry.
Good luck on your Journey,

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not sure how she managed to shoot the wrong bear. But that is not the problem. The lie and cover up was the problem. If she owned up to the mistake, filmed it and then put that on her show folks would be praising her for her honesty and good sportsmanship, paid her fine and she would still have her show and life would still be good. Maybe some jabs about shooting the wrong bear and the guide would also be fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that she received some very poor advice from her guide. She is young, at her age can't be very experienced, she was scared and did what her guide told her to do. I say; slap her on the wrist and hammer the guide and outfitter. The guide and outfitter are the real guilty parties, she just made an understandable mistake.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peterson's Bowhunting filmed a show in which they shot a moose less than 50 inches; they fessed up to it and said they turned themselves in. The show aired.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote