THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Theresa Vail bear hunt gone wrong?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Theresa Vail bear hunt gone wrong?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I try to avoid "hunting shows", with the exception of Randy NewBergs show on occasion.

What's up with another "hunting celebrity" getting themselves in trouble? This crap just gives food for fodder to the anti's.

Theresa Vail Theresa Vail story

Posts: 504 | Location: Denton, Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can envision some mistake made in the heat of the moment but the bottom line and most damning is that they tried to cover it up. This could cost Renfro dearly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
I hate it when hot chicks try and cover them selves up.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9902 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
I can envision some mistake made in the heat of the moment but the bottom line and most damning is that they tried to cover it up. This could cost Renfro dearly.

Mark

How about hunting without a tag?

This is just stupid.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:
I hate it when hot chicks try and cover them selves up.

+1

Posts: 2857 | Location: FL | Registered: 18 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have met and talked with this outstanding young lady at length. Sad to see her in the middle of taking a simple mistake to something illegal that costs her and us what we love, hunting on our Public land.
I wish her only the best.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
She shot and wounded a bear, shot again and hit a second bear (apparently mistaking it for the first one). Both died. If they would have just stopped right there and called wardens they would have all walked away relatively unscathed because the confusion over the bears is understandable. As it is, they conspired to cover it all up, lied, bought and had delivered another tag, back dated the tag validations. In the AP article that I read, it said they actually flew over and dropped the second tag down to the hunting party. Crap like this is a black eye to all of us, I hope they HAMMER them all!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's generally not the mistake that gets you, it's the lies and cover up. She is most likely not going to be facing a sympathetic judge.

As they say, orange is the new black.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Break out the checkbook there Blonde BIMBO!

Anything used in the illegal harvest,process,transport of illegally taken game in AK is confiscated.

Renfroe & Miller need their guide licenses revoked for LIFE.

Hammer them all to the full extent of the law.

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most times when a guide is involved the client gets a plea deal to testify against the guide. And the guide is the one getting out the check book. I've heard other stories like this before of guides dropping tags outa the plane to cover up an"oops". Bad decisions should be rewarded with bad consequences.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
And all for ridiculous ratings. I hope they all get penalized to the maximum extent of the law. I don't know this lady but I do know when I see her show they do their best to accentuate her very beautiful looks. The producers are playing right into that great male weakness called the procreate gene. She is probably a great person and she has a right to earn a living, but shows like this are just another version of stripping or working at Hooters. It's all a sad joke.

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Not that there is anything wrong with stripping or Hooters Cool

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gotta ask the question, with all this talk about making sure that they HAMMER the law breakers, scoff laws, poachers, and such..
Isn't it technically illegal to break the law to enforce the law?
And can anybody claim they don't see that little tidbit thrown out the window on a pretty regular basis?

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
I get tired of unethical guides and hunters making money while plundering our
Natural resources for a TV show!!
The best fine they could put on them is a 5-10 year ban
From hunting anywhere in the US!!!
That would put the sting in them.
JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their own film crew turned them in, so everything is probably on video.

"If you’re innocent why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?”- Donald Trump

Posts: 9790 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 09 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I love that fact that the film crew said no thank you, I want no part of this.

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prewar70:
I love that fact that the film crew said no thank you, I want no part of this.

+1

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1219 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of pimping wildlife for ratings and entertainment.
....enough said!
Zeke

One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
On a separate episode, Theresa was elk hunting. The guide had located a nice 5x5 and put Theresa in a great position for the shot. The camera and the guide were locked in on the 5x5. Guide says "Shoot". BANG.

Camera shows the 5x5 elk untouched.
Guide says, "Congratulations Theresa, you shot the spike."

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On another web site, a poster looked at her facebook page and on it she claimed she and the film crew reported it the day after returning from the hunt. If she reported it, that's a good thing. The whole situation is still bad juju.

It's too bad the guide didn't immediately call ADFG on the sat phone because the whole thing would have been filmed and it would have served as a good object lesson for hunters everywhere. The moral of the story being if you make a mistake, do the right thing especially when it involves our wildlife. That kind of behavior would have shown responsibility on all their parts and proper stewardship of our resources. Renfro might have been embarrassed his client shot the wrong bear but at least he would have been viewed as someone with integrity.

Posts: 449 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
I heard her show has been cancelled for next season. I doubt it has to do soley with this incident, as it's been a dismal show from the start. That's the rumor at least.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I tried to watch it, it was indeed dismal. Hopefully she figures out what her role in life is and moves on from being a hunting network sex symbol.

At least she was attractive, there a couple that are branded heavily as sex symbols that are not.

I have actually taken a liking to Brittany Boddington. She is a good spokesperson. I never thought she would be good on tv and I think she is great. Her Dad has really come a long ways too, he used to be horrible on TV.

You have to use all your brain when you are in the public eye. Britt has done a good job of this.

In about 20 minutes there will be another new "attractive female hunter" to bring in ratings and hopefully attract some female viewership.

Odds are for every good person they put in front of the camera 10 will screw up and end up breaking the law.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of them will ever match Jim and Eva Shockey. I just love their shows. Both are terrific spokespeople for our sport. The entire film crew are first class people for that matter.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Angus Morrison
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
On another web site, a poster looked at her facebook page and on it she claimed she and the film crew reported it the day after returning from the hunt. If she reported it, that's a good thing. The whole situation is still bad juju.

It's too bad the guide didn't immediately call ADFG on the sat phone because the whole thing would have been filmed and it would have served as a good object lesson for hunters everywhere. The moral of the story being if you make a mistake, do the right thing especially when it involves our wildlife. That kind of behavior would have shown responsibility on all their parts and proper stewardship of our resources. Renfro might have been embarrassed his client shot the wrong bear but at least he would have been viewed as someone with integrity.

Agreed, missed opportunity to eat crow and do it right, and show the example. The guides are the most to blame here as I sincerely doubt the TV show cast hatched the plan to fly in a tag, and falsify the paperwork. Series of terrible decisions occurred here, you cannot ever fully control where your client shoots and as the guide you have to make a lot of presumptions on their judgement and experience. Sadly the guides failed to appropriately handle a situation anyone guiding can face. In fact, they made a royal mess of it, and it will cost them dearly.

Posts: 534 | Location: Northern British Columbia | Registered: 06 June 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://ksnt.com/2016/01/07/for...lty-in-hunting-case/

Former Miss Kansas pleads guilty in hunting case

BECKY BOHRER, Associated Press

Published: January 7, 2016, 4:29 pm Updated: January 7, 2016, 10:23 pm

JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A former beauty queen who hosted an adventure TV show has pleaded guilty to killing an Alaska grizzly bear without a state hunting tag.

Theresa Vail was sentenced in state court Wednesday to one year of probation and a $750 fine. The sentence also included $1,300 restitution that could be split with the other defendants if they’re convicted.

A second charge against her was dismissed.

Vail held a single, nonresident bear tag, according to a charging document. On a guided hunt last May, two bears — a male and a female — came into view. Investigators said she shot the male and attempted to kill it with a second shot, but instead killed the second bear. Both bears died.

The field guide, Joseph Andrew Miller, contacted master guide Michael Wade Renfro, and a collective decision was made to fly out another tag that Miller attached to the bear, a charging document in Vail’s case states. Vail told an investigating wildlife trooper she signed the tag record May 27 but backdated it at Renfro’s request, the document says.

Neither Miller nor Renfro contacted authorities to report the second bear, according to charging documents.

The cases against Renfro and Miller are pending; both face misdemeanor counts. The charge Vail pleaded to was a misdemeanor.

Renfro’s attorney, Myron Angstman, said Thursday that from the outset, Renfro has accepted responsibility for his actions and regrets them. He said they are negotiating with the state and hope to reach a resolution “that everybody can live with.”

The court system website does not list an attorney for Miller.

Vail, from Kansas, hosted the Outdoor Channel series “Limitless with Theresa Vail,” which was listed as part of the channel’s summer programming last year. She remains listed as a personality for the channel.

An Outdoor Channel spokesman referred a reporter Thursday to a statement the channel released last month, which said the channel is committed to legal, ethical hunting; that Vail and her production team alerted authorities to the situation in June; and that the hunt never aired on the channel.

Vail’s attorney, Kevin Fitzgerald, said Vail had wanted to report the violation but wound up signing the tag record. He said she was guilt-ridden after leaving Alaska and wanted to report the matter. That was done on her behalf, he said.

Prosecuting attorney Aaron Peterson, an assistant attorney general, said Vail also is required at the request of the state to come to Aniak, Alaska to testify on the state’s behalf — “as many times as necessary, in as many cases as necessary”— at her own expense.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9410 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a wrist slap to me

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
She's young and a woman. She got put into a position that she should have had the intestinal fortitude to take care of but did not.

She pled guilty, and seems to be up front about correcting her wrongs. So I don't really have a problem with what she did. I am a father of 4 daughters and I would imagine anyone of them would have could be in a similar situation.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think she listened to bad advice. I had seen her show where she shot the wrong bull elk. I think she is an inexperienced Hunter, and she is trying to make a living with an outdoor adventure/hunting show.

We all make mistakes, it is what you do after the mistake that proves what you are made of.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unlike some, she owed up and paid the piper for her mistake.

Looks like the judge agreed with her story, that's a pretty minimalist sentence from what I have heard in Alaska.

Posts: 10771 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$750 fine,1year probation.....ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Where is the license revocation? Anyone else even using a lawyer for negotiations would be looking at a minimum of 5 years an that puts them in the Wildlife Violators Pact, shared between almost every state in the USA so she gets no hunting tag in any of them for that 5 years. Plea deal or not to get the outfitter this just plain smells bad. You can be certain lots of $ and smiles got passed around.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Folks here and the judge seem to want to give pretty women a pass apparently. Anyone else would have (and should have) been hung out to dry.

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My late father represented many clients whom were sorry after the fact. Most were sorry they were about to get caught not for what they did.
Yes anyone is capable of making a mistake but instantly you know you made a mistake "THEN" your next act defines your character...end of story.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly certain if a pudgy balding old dentist (me) tried to get around game laws in Alaska I would have been fined and lost hunting tags for years to come....Oh what a pretty smile, plastic tits and a tight ass gets away with.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
quote:
My late father represented many clients whom were sorry after the fact. Most were sorry they were about to get caught not for what they did. Yes anyone is capable of making a mistake but instantly you know you made a mistake "THEN" your next act defines your character...end of story.

And "Then" she self reported the violation through her lawyer, as she and any other thinking person should, so her character is intact as well as her brain.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I beg to differ with you sir. My point being she never should have went along with the criminal act from the very on set. Rather she simply could have sais, " Oops! My bad call the authorities. I will not be party to any cover up an I WIll REPORT YOU IF YOU TRY". Rather it looks like she had a change of heart at a later time.
Believe what you wish but in my eyes an to many others her reaction time was too slow and the sentences to lite. Doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
2th doc,
She shouldn't have gone along - but she did. And that's exactly why they needed to throw the book at her - the star. But they didn't. I seriously doubt had I done such a thing that I would have been treated as lightly. This was not some second grip boy flunky or the 4th assistant to the cameraman's dog. This was the star.

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Doc,
You would have known and done all that instantly at 21-23 years old when your Guide was telling you "no problem" eh?
Better man than most I guess.
Brent,
Same comment. "Star" or not, still young lady who made a mistake and corrected it intelligently.
I'm not throwing the first, or any, stone on this one. Live, Learn, move forward.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I think I would have. I'm pretty damn sure of it actually. But more than likely, I wouldn't have made the mistake in the first place - given what I have heard about it (I realize reality may differ).

What amazes me most is around the net, poachers usually get pretty harshly judged by hunters - with two notable exceptions, poaching wolves and pretty poachers.

I'm not much of a fan of hypocrisy, but that's just me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shee-yit...
There's an old saw, you want a good game warden, hire a poacher. Most everybody fucks up somewhere along the way, and most learn from it. Sometimes it,s making some bad decisions that put you in a position to do a little soul searching. Live your life like it,s an open book....and ultimately, it is.