THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Got my Brown Bear with Wildman Lake Lodge

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my Brown Bear with Wildman Lake Lodge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
I hunted with Wildman Lake Lodge, Butch King's outfit on The Peninsula in Unit 9E with guide Brandon Anderson aka "The Beast". Started hunting the 11th of October. Interesting conditions... full moon, cyclone with 40 to 60 mph gusts on day 3, and finally success on day 7. Nice bear that squared 9'2" shot on the Ilnik River around 6 pm in the afternoon. Only the 5th bear I saw because of the conditions. Used a Kevin Weaver custom .375 Ruger shooting factory Hornady 270 grain spire points. Two shots... last for insurance. Bear was in the river chasing salmon so rolling him out that evening to skin the next morning was a feat! Good hunt in sometime tough conditions... 36 hours in a tent trying to ride the storm out is something one will never forget.

Hide is off to Knight's Taxidermy in Anchorage and destined for a head in rug for the ranch house...

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on. Sounds like the Peninsula didn’t disappoint. At least it wasn’t windy.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you have seen 5 more bears than I have after spending 22 days on three hunts in Alaska. I am "0" for 2 on brown bears and "0" for one on griz and likely will never try again. Dropping $40k on 2 "dead in the water" hunts is a mistake I will not make again.

I would do one on a "pay if you have a shot opportunity" but I have had it with websites and folks promising the world and delivering nothing.

Please excuse my rant.

Congrats on your bear and your hunt!!!! You are to be envied!!!!

Posts: 10257 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
Fantastic & as stated at least the wind didn't blow! In Dutch yrs back a 100 Ton crane blew off the dock.

Posts: 2356 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your bear! The severe weather will make that hunt even more memorable.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russell,

Congrats on a great bear. 36 hours in a tent? Welcome to AK hunting.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12910 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice bear.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1099 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well, you have seen 5 more bears than I have after spending 22 days on three hunts in Alaska. I am "0" for 2 on brown bears and "0" for one on griz and likely will never try again. Dropping $40k on 2 "dead in the water" hunts is a mistake I will not make again.I would do one on a "pay if you have a shot opportunity" but I have had it with websites and folks promising the world and delivering nothing.

Yep Ross... I scratched my head a few times and wondered if this was going to be an expensive, extreme camping trip. Of the first four bears I saw the closest was about 1200 yards away! Funny how hunts sometime turn on a dime and other times they don't.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7539 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Highlander7
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. I briefly met Butch when he had the Cinder River Lodge. Hunted Caribou on the peninsula in 1997 and he few me out to the spike camp. That was my first big game hunt.

MSG, USA (Ret.) Armor
NRA Life Memeber

Posts: 596 | Location: Chester County, PA. | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic! Any idea what the age might be? Also interested to know what brand of tent Butch uses.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
Congratulation on the bear Russell
beer
Pictures please.

Posts: 756 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Congrats Russell. tu2 Now we need a hunt report and pics! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Congrats Russell.

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Fantastic! Any idea what the age might be? Also interested to know what brand of tent Butch uses.

I think they send a tooth in to have them aged but not sure... no growth rings on a bear! Big Grin And he used the Cabela's Outfitter Series tent with the rain fly.

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats. I am interested in peninsula hunts

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Congrats. I am interested in peninsula hunts

I guided
For butch s handfull of times
And could tell ya all you need to know and more about his outfit. Or several others up and down the peninsula for that matter.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
This was my third trip with Butch, first was fishing for coho, dollies, rainbows and char, second was a "Blast and Cast" with my son and a couple of buddies for ptarmigan and fishing and then this bear hunt. All trips have been good and enjoyed the lodge and food. No real issues except getting there!

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Russell's gigantic brown bear!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow. Super job!

Great looking bear. tu2

Thanks for the report and pics.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the picture Vaughan. I guess I am technically inept... I couldn't make it happen.

My guide, Brandon Anderson, with my bear on the Ilnik River.

And thanks for the kind comments. Alaska hunts truly are adventures in the last remaining frontier in the U.S.

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alaska hunts truly are adventures in the last remaining frontier in the U.S.

Totally agree; it is why I like to go hunt at least every other year in AK.

Congrats on your bear!

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can understand the frustration of bear hunts. I was on my 3rd trip before I even saw a brown bear... Very expensive camping trips .. to be sure ..

Posts: 1538 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote