New
Find
Notify
Tools

FROGG TOGGS and various rainwear
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any good or bad experiences with this Frogg Togg stuff??

I am headed to Alaska this fall and i am repeatedly disappointed in so called raingear that is seldom water proof and if it is it seems to have no breathing qualities.

I have heard great things about SWAZI gear from a couple friends that are Alaskan guides. I am leaning on getting that stuff but....still looking at other choices.

Any experiences are appreciated.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a half dozen different pieces of Swazi and wouldn't trade it for anyhting I've seen.

I love the Wapiti coat. thumb

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Skip the Frogg Toggs. The pair I've seen in use ripped the first hike and didn't keep the wearer any drier than a pair of wool pants.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFreeman
I'm going on my Third Sheep hunt with mine this Year.. They are light and do work..They are not for Brush Bust'in..Mine is showing signs of wear.. But, I'm sure that they will make another hunt...If You do buy a set, buy the next size up so you will have range of movement ..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
Good news travels far and wide especially on the web.
I'm a mobile walking Swazi add! That stuff is made down here by a guy I know pretty damn well,the same someone that I've hunted with in Alaska.
Its tough, its very functional, and the best weather proof clothing I've been lucky enough to wear.
Get some you will not regret it BUT look after the stuff, esp the tahr or wapati coats, they're goretex and to work well they have to be clean.
Also remembver that in my humble oppinion there is no such thing as water proof and breathable, Swazi is as close as I've every got.
www.swazi.co.nz or for a catalogue(cattledog)service@swazi.co.nz
enjoy.

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
HighLander
I've looked at the Swazi Website and they don't list the weight of their products. If one was looking for ideal Swazi Pant/Top for the "Highland/Mountain Hunter" with weight, protection from the elements and breathabilty at the top of ones list of needs what would You suggest..The High Places of AK and NZ would have a lot in common I would think..
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of highlander
posted Hide Post
AK
You have 3 choices as I see it for a coat/jacket. personnaly I wear a Wapati coat, why? becuz it has a full length zip that lets me cool down as I need to and the extra pockets are also very handy. Thar coat is great if you like over the head stuff and aren't fussed on pockets.
Both the above are very quiet to hunt in as they have a soft outer layer. If a bit of extra russel and noise aren't an issue you could look at the One Tough Mutha,now thats a tough coat.
Pants you need look no further than the Overpants(GOP).
My all time favorite is the Gherkin coat, its not waterproof but is windstopper and very adaptable.
I hunted SE Alaska a couple of years back and it could have been the Foirdland area of NZ ,especially the way it rained for 8 days! At least I had Swazi anbd stay dry.
Davey who owns Swazi has been into Alaska 3 times now, so he's done the product testing!

Posts: 263 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 08 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Highlander
Thanks for Your insight on the Swazi Gear. Will send Davey an E-mail..
AK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AFreeman,

I have searched hard and far for raingear that is both waterpoof and breathable, theres no such thing! It either keeps you dry on the inside while not physically exerting yourself, or you get wet on the inside if hoofing it. If it breathes from the inside then it will soak thru from the outside. The mesh liners on raingear like the Cabelas MT050 will help the water from your sweat run down the coat on the inside a little but not completely. The Helly Hansen Impertech is my favorite( its also very well liked up here in Alaska) if its really raining and for long periods, but yes you will sweat on the inside if moving around a lot. Its a give and take, I would prefer raingear that keeps me dry from the outside in and layer with breatheable under garments that dry quickly than get soaked from the outside in and have heavy wet raingear to wear around. I own both the Impertech and the Cabelas MT050 and both are fairly lightweight and both work well. The MT050 is camo so it has its place on certain hunts. Dont skimp on raingear as it is notorious for ruining Alaska hunts of all types.

Oh I forgot to add that frog toggs tear way to easily and once ripped your wet from then on. Its a perfect type of raingear for a sheep hunt because it weighs nothing but it doesn't matter how light it is when its shredded and your wet, cant get any worse than that. A buddy of mine used it one season for sheep hunting and ripped the pants on the first day with a slip on the shale and they were destroyed by day 2. They might make for a good back up but thats it.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all.
I have come to the conclusion....and this happened a Looooong time ago, and as stated here, waterproof and breathable together does not exist. The best we can hope for is a compromise of the two to one degree or another. And with the technology we have! Go figure.

I am going to go buy yet another name brand i currently do not own. I am fairly certain it will add to my collection of hunting gear that does not do what it claims.

I HOPE to be proven wrong.

Best to all you and thanks again for the advice.

Posts: 609 | Location: Cincinnati | Registered: 25 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AlaskaCub,
Where are you at in Alaska??

one of us
posted Hide Post
I destroyed my HH Impertech bibs on my first hunt in bad downed Spruce. I should have taken them off. HH refused to warranty them claimed they were designed to tear, and were made for Comercial Fisherman? I asked whey they sold them in Camo? That was from HH supervisor at customer service. I could understand them not waranty them but not there anwser. The older
HH Impertech seams were not sealed at the shoulder and wrist sleves and tended to wick.
I like the Marmot LW raingear for Sheep Hunting
very LW and when you turn it inside out it is white for close in Dall sheep stalking!

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck in your search for the ultimate raingear,and your not alone with rooms full of gear that doesn't get used because it just doesn't do the trick..

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience was different than PWS with Frogg Toggs. I wore them on my NWT dall sheep hunt in '04, and have since worn them during two Monsoon seasons. They are extremely light, not that noisy, durable, and keep me dry. I have no complaints.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=427105063#427105063

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote