New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sheep hunting questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a few questions related to Dall's sheep in AK. I have 3 of the 4 NA sheep. Depending on how one looks at it, I have failed at least 2 times when I went after Dall. I failed a 3rd time but shot a Fannin instead. It is hard to complain.

My questions are as follows:

1- I hear a lot about a die off in the late winter/early spring due to weather. Do you all think this is true? What impact do you think this will have on 2014 hunts?

2- In terms of difficulty of terrain, how does the Brooks Range compare to the other ranges in Alaska.

3- Is the Brooks Range being over run with hunters?

4- Do you have a recommendation on where to go to get a Dall's? It doesn't have to be the biggest, it just has to be legal.

Thanks!

Posts: 12097 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, I went with Mr Henry Tiffany in 2005 for Dall sheep. My best hunt so far after sheep and goat in the US and Asia. Brooks Range camp and a semi back pack style.

Henry runs the Alaskan Perimeter Expeditions.

Really nice hunt and a real hunt if you know what I mean !

If I knew how to post pictures I could give you a report here on the A Forum.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
You'll pay more in the NWT but you'll only go once to come home with a ram.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will get your ram with Henry. As long as you are able to hike 4-6 miles and shoot straight for 400 yards at the most.

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Larry I would hunt the Wrangells with a guide that has a Federal Concession. PM me if your in need of a couple of name.

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Larry

Congrats on the bighorn. He is a beast. I second the idea of hunting the NWT. I wanted to do it once, do it right. The hunts are more $$, but they have exclusive territories not shared by anyone else. They almost run 100% on good rams. All 5 hunters in camp with me scored at arctic red.

To me, it's worth the extra cost. I hope this helps, and good luck on your pursuit.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
Hunt with us at Alaska Trohpy hunts
Will get to a nice ram.
Larry
We hunt
West slope 19c
The Brooks is getting overwhelmed with hunters.

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
Try the NWT,you've been skunked 2 times now.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:

The Brooks is getting overwhelmed with hunters.

Really? Hummmmmm. Must have been invisible when I shot mine.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In August, after we moved our camp due to the sheep departing for parts unknown, we had 2 planes land north of us within easy walking distance. I assume they dropped off hunters. As we left, we saw a camp with horses south of us perhaps 3 miles.

So, yes, I think there were too many hunters where we were. Having said that, I am not sure it made any difference to my hunt.

Posts: 12097 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never hunted the Brooks Range I was going on what locals , the game warden and some of our hunters reported on the overflow of hunters.
We had 2 outfitters leave their area in the Brooks range and hunt their relief areas near us in 19c.we had visited with them and they wher finding in their areas to many hunters and not enough sheep to sustain the influx.
There has been plenty of complaints from residents according to our game warden that the aeas are getting overrun with sheep hunters and they want a change. I see draw for sheep coming in the near future.
Have a great day
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
There are a plenty of good outfitters out there but to my mind..

www.yukonsheep.com

Tim Mervyn is absolutely top shelf and, to be frank, I will not hunt Moose, Sheep, Caribou, or Bison with anyone else in North America. Stellar area...and an equally impressive outfitter!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
PM sent.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are dead set on Alaska I think a lot of guys on here would be able to help you out.

The NWT produces beautiful rams with (in my opinion) better curled rams than a lot of Alaskan sheep you see taken. The hunt will be more costly but it is most likely worth it. The NWT hunts are generally a helicopter in and backpack style hunt.

Your other option would be the Yukon (I'm assuming this is where you got your fannin?). Plenty of great outfitters, and like the NWT, every outfitter has a private concession. This will be more of a horseback orientated hunt with a lot of the outfitters.

I'm not sure if it is an option for you, and I don't have much for details on it, but you could look into buying the annual Kluane tag…Giant, unmolested rams that will be all to yourself.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Sheep numbers are way down all across the state.

The Brooks range is probably the easiest dall sheep hunting you can find. Its where old sheep hunters go

IMO there are not that many hunters. But i think they hunt harder.

I would go to Canada no question. AK is over rated for sheep.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Larry,
Once again, congratulations are in order for a magnificent bighorn this year !!!!
I have followed your posts since you first inquired about Dall sheep all the way thru the write up you did on it.
We know one thing for sure...you already have all the gear to do it again!!!
There is alot of Good advice here,I know, and have sheephunted with a couple that have already commented here.
I've sheep hunted in the Brooks Range, Alaska Range, Talkeetnas, and the renowned Chugach range, and I can tell you EACH of these ranges, in terms of difficulty will equally have their ups and downs as far as terrain.
As I look at the 2014-2015 Alaska drawing supplement, odds are pretty good for non-resident applicants, and wondered if you gave it some thought to apply for areas where sheep are managed and and seem to have better numbers than harvest areas? check it out, deadline is Dec. 15th The guides in these areas are top notch and you won't be paying NWT prices. If the Draw doesn't pan out, of course there's other outfits out there as mentioned above you can get on with to filling your final stage of that grand slam.
As far as the Brooks, I don't think its overrun with hunters as far as area, there maybe certain popular drainage's within the Brooks Range that tend to produce a little better than others, but I think there are some best kept secrets yet to see a boot track. Sheep are going to be where they are going to be, I've frequented areas where I've seen many mature rams, only to find a desolated area with no signs of life a year later.
As far as weather? Yes there was a Die off this year, the late season snow did a number on most of all the mountain ranges !!! not just sheep but caribou too. I really can't speak how it will affect 2014 season, the bio's maybe better at speculating that. I can say there still some good sheep around from what I've seen, Yes, the weather this year was uncooperative this year, rain and limited visibility, alot of hunter's came back empty handed.
Finally, I don't think Alaska is overrated, It's Alaska !!! It's still No. 1 in my book.............and still No. 1 in the Boone and Crockett book Smiler

Maybe Northway will chime in, He's avid, experienced, and knows alot about hunting Dalls.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I was only thinking harvest in my PMs. I didn't consider the draws Larry. If you draw the Chugach, Tok, or Delta are the places to go.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
Larry,
Once again, congratulations are in order for a magnificent bighorn this year !!!!
I have followed your posts since you first inquired about Dall sheep all the way thru the write up you did on it.
We know one thing for sure...you already have all the gear to do it again!!!
There is alot of Good advice here,I know, and have sheephunted with a couple that have already commented here.
I've sheep hunted in the Brooks Range, Alaska Range, Talkeetnas, and the renowned Chugach range, and I can tell you EACH of these ranges, in terms of difficulty will equally have their ups and downs as far as terrain.
As I look at the 2014-2015 Alaska drawing supplement, odds are pretty good for non-resident applicants, and wondered if you gave it some thought to apply for areas where sheep are managed and and seem to have better numbers than harvest areas? check it out, deadline is Dec. 15th The guides in these areas are top notch and you won't be paying NWT prices. If the Draw doesn't pan out, of course there's other outfits out there as mentioned above you can get on with to filling your final stage of that grand slam.
As far as the Brooks, I don't think its overrun with hunters as far as area, there maybe certain popular drainage's within the Brooks Range that tend to produce a little better than others, but I think there are some best kept secrets yet to see a boot track. Sheep are going to be where they are going to be, I've frequented areas where I've seen many mature rams, only to find a desolated area with no signs of life a year later.
As far as weather? Yes there was a Die off this year, the late season snow did a number on most of all the mountain ranges !!! not just sheep but caribou too. I really can't speak how it will affect 2014 season, the bio's maybe better at speculating that. I can say there still some good sheep around from what I've seen, Yes, the weather this year was uncooperative this year, rain and limited visibility, alot of hunter's came back empty handed.
Finally, I don't think Alaska is overrated, It's Alaska !!! It's still No. 1 in my book.............and still No. 1 in the Boone and Crockett book Smiler

Maybe Northway will chime in, He's avid, experienced, and knows alot about hunting Dalls.

Great post!
I'd be listening to this.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Hi Larry,
I did a float in on the Kongakut River. Hunted a drainage about 4 hour float from the drop off (air). Never saw another hunter and saw legal rams every day. Killed on day three. Chased bears the remaining time. Fishing was epic for Char and Grayling after the Sheep.

Sure saw a lot of cubs flying around. I don't know how they figured to hunt those rams, no place to land for many miles.

Regards,

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Hi Larry,
I did a float in on the Kongakut River. Hunted a drainage about 4 hour float from the drop off (air). Never saw another hunter and saw legal rams every day. Killed on day three. Chased bears the remaining time. Fishing was epic for Char and Grayling after the Sheep.

Sure saw a lot of cubs flying around. I don't know how they figured to hunt those rams, no place to land for many miles.

Regards,

Steve

When someone uses Epic I take note.. If your not in the 14c draw get in... Dan Montgomery is Epic..

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Ahrenberg:
Hi Larry,

Regards,

Steve

When someone uses Epic I take note.. If you not in the 14c draw get in... Dan Montgomery is Epic..

I used John Peterson? Who's that air taxi guy in Fort Yukon? super nice guy.

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3554 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
AKrange said it best, 14C is very dear to me, my wife drew this tag this year and we hunted it, this is what you can expect to find:

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKsheephunter:
AKrange said it best, 14C is very dear to me, my wife drew this tag this year and we hunted it, this is what you can expect to find:

EPIC Indeed !!

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me admit you guys are speaking a foreign language. What is 14c?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
14C is a portion of a hunting unit #14 this is around anchorage
I believe 14 C starts around eagle river.
Sent you a PM call me anytime
Larry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry:

I got it. I have had an extremely busy weekend. I will make contact this week.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Larry
Larry

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Yes, 14C is a draw only area around Anchorage. Very good areas IF you get drawn. I'm not sure what the draw rates are for non resident. I would second Dan Montgomery or Lance Kronberger IF you draw a 14C tag. Tok Management area and Delta Management area are draw hunts in the eastern Alaska range that have excellent trophy potential. Those would be worth a try for plan A and then have a plan B harvest hunt in place.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yep, better yet, if you contact either of the two master guides Brett mentioned, they will personally assist you in the application process too, their contact info. is on their website.

Good luck buddy...

One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
Check out Matt Synder he hunts the draw Tok and Delta draw areas.
Hunted the Brooks in 2010 with Dave Leonard of Mountain Monarchs of Alaska, killed a 38 incher. Great Outfitter, worth a call.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, check out Matt Snyder and his mom and step dad, the Entsminger's. Quality people who live and breath sheep.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northway:
Yeah, check out Matt Snyder and his mom and step dad, the Entsminger's. Quality people who live and breath sheep.

Northway has nailed it!!

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
quote:
Originally posted by Northway:

Northway has nailed it!!

Agreed, thus why I mentioned him....

The guy hunts sheep with shorts and no shirt, and probably flip flops, he knows how to get it done !!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is the area Snyder hunts the TOK?
If so you need to draw a tag correct ?
Thanks
Larry

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Yes, He guides TMA (Tok Management Area) I believe he will also guide DCUA (Delta) also, as he these areas very well. Yes they are Draw only.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal
I think it won't be long an the whole state will be a draw for sheep no more over the counter tags.
Larry

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Something that should be of upmost importance is the area, either a limited state draw area or an outfitter with an exclusive federal concession! Good Luck Larry

Jim

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good luck Larry!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
While not in Alaska, Artic Red River Outfitters has been doing a bang up job on the rams the last few years and is definitely on the short list of people I'd consider other than some of the names listed here.

I continue to put in for the 14C and TOK tags the past several years without luck.

Lots of good advice here from the AK resident sheep experts, kudos to you guys.

Cheers, Larry!

Chris

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Is the area Snyder hunts the TOK?
If so you need to draw a tag correct ?
Thanks
Larry

He does hunt in the TMA and Delta, but has open areas as well, thus the reason I suggested him as you aren't tied to "drawing" a tag with him. They don't over book their areas and are guides that actually care about the resource. They are a wealth of knowledge and you won't regret at least contacting them and talking! I am pretty sure they go to some of the outdoor shows. I will be seeing them tonight at our AC meeting, so will get you some info and let you decide on what you want to do.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote