Find
Notify
Tools

Recent bear fatality
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted
Alaska Dispatch reports that a black bear broke " The Established Pattern " by killing a 16 gr old boy in a cross country race .

I'm sure this years mauling victims strongly wished they at least had something to protect themselves with .
Surely a can of bear spray would be far better than nothing. Even in liberal Anchorage.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had three wolves target me for dinner in an obvious case of mistaken identity on their part. I can still very distinctly remember their faces and the intent predator look I at least think I saw on their faces or in their posture.

To have been that 16 year old boy or that lady down the peninsula killed and eaten by wolves a few years ago I just can't imagine.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
Here is the Alaska Dispatch article on the attack on the POGO mine contractor.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-new...-black-bear-mauling/

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the article

As field work is resumed, Pogo Mine will use dedicated bear guards as a standard practice, she said.

.The bear retreated for a short time but returned, Murphy said. It came back more than once, he said.

Why were not these workers armed with firearms.

Pogo Mine left the decision of field safety to ABR, and the crew opted for bear spray, Murphy said.

A fatal decision.

My guess is that as modern women biologists they brought into that all wild animals are friendly furry forest creatures.

That spray is better than a firearm.

That Black bears are harmless a attack is so rare it well never happen to you.

That bears never really want to eat you.

When something is trying to kill you firearms are a better choice by far.

As proven by Phil even a smaller 9mm would have saved these women.

A needless death and mauling cause by political correctness and the Disney view of wildlife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
From the article

As field work is resumed, Pogo Mine will use dedicated bear guards as a standard practice, she said.

.The bear retreated for a short time but returned, Murphy said. It came back more than once, he said.

Why were not these workers armed with firearms.

Pogo Mine left the decision of field safety to ABR, and the crew opted for bear spray, Murphy said.

A fatal decision.

My guess is that as modern women biologists they brought into that all wild animals are friendly furry forest creatures.

That spray is better than a firearm.

That Black bears are harmless a attack is so rare it well never happen to you.

That bears never really want to eat you.

When something is trying to kill you firearms are a better choice by far.

As proven by Phil even a smaller 9mm would have saved these women.

A needless death and mauling cause by political correctness and the Disney view of wildlife.

Agree with you.

The woman probably believed the advice about using bear sprays as told by the Alaska F&G based on studies performed by biologists. The problem is that such studies can't be done only on charging or hunger-enraged bears, which are the ones that will get you. We have had at least one case of a female geologist working for the University years ago where she almost died to a hungry black bear. If I well remember she lost an arm and some flesh, but survived. She had a radio and managed to call for help, and was lucky that there was a person monitoring the radio transmissions at the campsite, and that the helicopter was not too far. The story is told by Larry Kaniut in one of his books.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An LC9S would have saved them from getting bloody.
Most problem bear encounters DON'T happen with huge brown bear. I hedge my bets with my G20 shooting 220 gr hard cast TC @ 1200 fps . But the fact is that most handguns will work. With many different loads.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Most problem bear encounters DON'T happen with huge brown bear. I hedge my bets with my G20 shooting 220 gr hard cast TC @ 1200 fps . But the fact is that most handguns will work. With many different loads.

PMC loads ammo with non-expanding copper-plated bullets for revolvers and pistols. I will probably try some on a Ruger 1911 to see how they shoot out of it. But there are lots of 9mm hard-cast ammo available.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I load a 250gr SWC. At just under 900fps for my SR1911 and other 45apc Guns feeds and shoots well

one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a Black bear attack at a Ft.mac Murray oil field site a couple of years ago. Company policy wouldn't allow firearms, so there wasn't much anybody could do to rescue the poor gal. Blackbears are as dangerous as their big brothers when they want to be.

http://nationalpost.com/news/c...2f-987e-45c3a43fd477

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
Looking at these reports makes me begin to wonder. Do you folks remember the story of the G.I. and his wife who were staying at a cabin on Lake Louise. There was a large MALE Black Bear who tried to attack them. They put the wife on top of the cabin roof and the G.I. went for help. In the mean time the bear got hold of the wife and chewed her up. Fish and Game put the blame was that it was her time of the month and that the smell was what attracted the attack. Seems kinda curious that the attacks were perpetrated by male Black Bears and that the attacks were relentless. I wonder what further investigation is going to turn up? The kid down by Bird Ridge was a fleeing prey attack but the others were relentless attacks by male Black Bears on women. I don't know?

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
most likely any sort of firearm, including a 22, would have dissuaded a hungry bear simply due to the pain aspect.
In 1980 my wife and I were camping at Llaird river hot springs in the Yukon and we heard something outside walking close to our tent. I stepped out with my M-70 375 and discovered a pretty onery looking male black bear, only 6 or 7 yards away, that was obviously test me. I had my wife hand me a wrist rocket from the tent and smacked him twice hard with marbles. You could see him becoming agitated and my wife asked me to quit hitting him for that reason. But I had the 375 and then moved toward him and he faded back into the brush but you could tell he wasn't happy. But like all bullies and predators he was looking for an easy target.
A few days later another camper was killed by a black bear in that same campground.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Cdparker, not many remember that story about the black bear at Lake Louise. Apparently you haven't heard the follow up? That bear incident was nearly 30 years ago. A number of years back maybe 5 to ten years, a cold case investigater filed charges and convicted the husband who staged the scene to make it appear as though a bear did it all along it was the husband.

As for the bear at Bird Creek. I watched most of the action as it unfolded. I am very familiar with the bear that killed the kid. He hung around that spot on the side of the mountain pretty much every day. I watched as they extracted the body from the spot where he was killed and was surprised that he was so far off the trail.

Bird Creek doesn't get a strong salmon run for a couple weeks only a few King now. I'm a little surprised that race organizers would have this race when bears are at the time of the year they're the most hungry.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Having trouble posting pic but if you follow this link you will see a pic I took of the bear on June 10.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1...#6435813248361732866

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Alaska insurance policy was my 454 ,Ruger for bears Bear spray is a joke in the wind lead is not .I got charged a few times and it's no fun .I had a bear on.my porch one night while cooking with my smoker .He surprised me as much as him .I stuck my 338 win mag in his face and said one false move and your history .He turned his eyes and turned around .I bought 416s for the tent in Alaska no fun with bears at night !

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
most likely any sort of firearm, including a 22, would have dissuaded .

Most likely would have killed it with a well place 22lr or several of them

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Alaska News
‘I can’t exaggerate how fast this was’: JBER cyclist mauled by brown bear
Author: Michelle Theriault Boots Updated: 2 hours ago Published 18 hours ago

On Saturday morning, James Fredrick and his friend Alex Ippoliti were biking down a well-used gravel road on military land near Clunie Lake in Eagle River when they heard a rustling in the bushes.
The two friends were already hyper-aware after two fatal, predatory black bear attacks last week that have set Alaskans on edge.
"With all the things that had been going on, I made sure I had my bear bell on and bear spray with me," said Ippoliti, who lives in Eagle River.
What happened next came so fast that Fredrick, who lives in Anchorage, is still turning it over in his mind from the hospital bed where he is recovering from being attacked by a brown bear. It was one of two brown bear maulings in Southcentral Alaska Saturday.
Fredrick says his friend saved his life.
Shortly after they heard the rustling sound, a brown bear emerged from the woods and ran "20-30 yards" toward them, Ippoliti said. Suddenly, the bear was on Fredrick, pulling him from his bike.
"I immediately just started yelling 'help,' " Fredrick said in a phone interview from his hospital bed Sunday. "I can't exaggerate how fast this was. I don't think it lasted more than 7 or 8 seconds."
While the bear was biting and clawing him, Fredrick remembers thinking that he should try to get the bike between himself and the animal.
Ippoliti was able to get bear spray out, he said.
When the bear left Fredrick and turned toward him, Ippoliti "emptied an entire tank" of spray on it, driving it back into the woods.
Fredrick said he didn't have bear spray with him, and will be forever thankful his friend did and was able to use it.

"Alex straight up saved my life," Fredrick said Sunday. "I'd be dead right now without Alex."
Next, Ippoliti took his shirt off "for a tourniquet and asked me to hold it on my neck while he stood there, yelling at the bear," Fredrick said.
It wasn't until after the bear had gone that the men noticed a cub in the tree above. They had not seen it before the attack, Ippoliti said.
After that things get fuzzy for Fredrick.
"I was losing a lot of blood," he said.
The two walked away from the site of the attack, maybe about a quarter of a mile down the road, both said. They called for help and were picked up by medics.
Fredrick said he sustained major lacerations to his neck and lost part of his bicep muscle in the attack. A doctor told him the neck wound was so close to his carotid artery that it was visible from the wound itself, he said. He also had to get stitches on his eyebrow and nose.
Fredrick says the fatal maulings of last week were heavy on his mind even before Saturday. He never imagined this summer's succession of bear attacks would include him, but he doesn't attribute it to anything other than being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
"I just completely think it's coincidence. I can't in any way rack it up to anything else."
Fredrick, who is being treated at Providence Alaska Medical Center, said that he's recovering from the shock of the event.
"In the emergency room, I was like, I'll never be able to go in the woods again," he said.
Just one day later, he doesn't think that's true.

Alaska Department of Fish and Game spokesman Ken Marsh said biologists are investigating the mauling. Based on initial information, they don't consider it a predatory attack but a "defensive attack" by a brown bear.
"It sounds like the sow did what brown bears often do when they perceive a threat," he said.
2 brown bear attacks in 1 day
The second attack happened Saturday evening, on a road outside of Hope, a small Turnagain Arm community. Troopers were called to a reported bear attack at 11:40 p.m., according to an online dispatch posted by the agency Sunday.
Joshua Brekken, 45, was "walking on Palmer Creek Road when he came across a sow brown bear and cub," troopers wrote.
Palmer Creek Road is a 12-mile gravel road that climbs from the Hope highway area near Turnagain Arm to a high valley.
Brekken was "getting some firewood for his cabin out in the area," Marsh said. "He and his dog were walking on a trail out back of a cabin when he looked up and saw a brown bear in front of him."
The bear was about 30 yards away when it charged, troopers wrote. The man tried to climb a tree, but the bear "swatted him out of the tree and injured him" before taking off into the woods with the cub, according to troopers.
Brekken sustained "minor injuries" and went to the hospital on his own, troopers wrote.
Marsh said the two bear attacks this weekend differ in important ways from the fatal maulings of a young runner and a biologist working at a remote mine last week.
"There are two distinctive types of attacks — one that's more troubling than another."
The Pogo Mine and Bird Ridge maulings both appear to have been predatory attacks by black bears, Marsh said, which are "extremely troubling and very, very rare." Biologists are still trying to understand the circumstances of those attacks, which happened within 48 hours of each other.

This weekend's encounters were both what biologists call "defensive" attacks. That's when a surprised brown bear with cubs lashes out to "neutralize" what they see as a threat to their offspring, Marsh said.
[Here are strategies for staying safe in bear country]
For those wondering what's behind the string of four human-bear encounters — including two deaths — in the space of a week, Marsh does not have answers.
"There's no denying we've had a high number of attacks in a very short span of time. I've talked to a couple biologists about this and the answer is — nobody really knows why yet."

Michelle Theriault Boots is a reporter for Alaska Dispatch News.

© 2017 Alaska Dispatch Publishing. All rights reserved.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
It would appear that in the above case, spray worked.

The bicycling incident is hard for me to figure out. By that I mean, you gotta exercise, you gotta be out doors, but from the bears perspective its an almost silent 30mph inbound possible threat to their babies. The bear has to stomp the bicyclist. As the ADF&G determined, a sow protecting her cub doesn't need to be killed, but on the other hand, I'd prefer to not be stomped.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I have the greatest regard for all of you Alaskan's with bear experience. That being said, I have a lot of experience, with my 45, much of that not on the range, though in my younger years. I have zero experience with bear spray. So in my case it will be a 45 on my hip, or in a chest holster.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

The bicycling incident is hard for me to figure out. By that I mean, you gotta exercise, you gotta be out doors, but from the bears perspective its an almost silent 30mph inbound possible threat to their babies. The bear has to stomp the bicyclist. As the ADF&G determined, a sow protecting her cub doesn't need to be killed, but on the other hand, I'd prefer to not be stomped.

We had a young USFS law enforcement officer killed last summer when he came around a curve on his mountain bike and literally crashed into a large male grizz. Like you said, fast and quiet. The bear just reacted accordingly. Sad deal!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:

I love to walk for exercise and just fun. I never walk with headphones or ear buds or any of that other stuff you stick in your ears to mute the sounds around you. I don't much care to talk when I'm walking either because I like to listen for the geese, song birds, the wind in the trees, my dog breathing and certainly if something like a bear is coming up behind me.

I'd like to think I could hear a sow huff at her cub, a cub squall, a boar popping his teeth, whatever and it may give me an opportunity to prevent a close encounter with the bear kind.

We had a young USFS law enforcement officer killed last summer when he came around a curve on his mountain bike and literally crashed into a large male grizz. Like you said, fast and quiet. The bear just reacted accordingly. Sad deal!

One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
Just gotta love them quite fuzzy critters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTw7qps1WG8

One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdparker:
Just gotta love them quite fuzzy critters.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTw7qps1WG8

Last summer, I was leaving Pedneau Range on Ft. Rich. The biggest old Boar Black Bear crossed the road not 30' in front of me. I swear his back was as tall as the hood on my Silverado. He was old and walked with a noticeable sway. I talked with Range Central and they said that they had three of those big SOB's in the range area. He said that they were cantankerous too. Yes he was a Black Bear as he had no hump. I'd want my three six bits before I would tackle that big boy. That was not too far from the road where the bikers ran into the Grizzly this last weekend. Do not ever shoot a bear on a military reservation. They might even send you to GITMO for that crime. Even if it was DLP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it means nothing but almost all of my aggressive bear encounters have been in the spring time, I can't remember one from the fall. Black bear charged as well have all been spring.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Most problem bear encounters DON'T happen with huge brown bear. I hedge my bets with my G20 shooting 220 gr hard cast TC @ 1200 fps . But the fact is that most handguns will work. With many different loads.[/QUOTE

I don't cast my own due to industrial asthma. Where could I buy these. I also have a Glock 10 mm.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Had one of those in Canmore, near Banff. Mountain biker came roaring down the trail, rounded a corner and scared the shit out of a Grizzly. Result was inevitable. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Most problem bear encounters DON'T happen with huge brown bear. I hedge my bets with my G20 shooting 220 gr hard cast TC @ 1200 fps . But the fact is that most handguns will work. With many different loads.[/QUOTE

I don't cast my own due to industrial asthma. Where could I buy these. I also have a Glock 10 mm.

Buffalo bore Ammo is what you want

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
Perhaps it means nothing but almost all of my aggressive bear encounters have been in the spring time, I can't remember one from the fall. Black bear charged as well have all been spring.

What spring still running furnace and its almost July, thinking our cold spring lack of food may be causing bear problems.

kk alaska

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

In the spring the bears are hungry, some are horny and getting rid of those butt plugs from hibernation can't be fun. Need to be more careful in the spring!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This family was lucky that their 11-year old boy new how to shoot his shotgun:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/...ac-8c2bb4f41755.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

In the spring the bears are hungry, some are horny and getting rid of those butt plugs from hibernation can't be fun. Need to be more careful in the spring!

Lot of young bears, kicked out in the world by Mama, not sure of their place in the big scheme of things is, get into trouble, just like human teens. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wonder why he had bird shot in his shotgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Probably for shooting birds. You think? There are good eating birds in Alaska

one of us
posted Hide Post
They were they were going fishing.

Might be some birds in season at this time of year but normally not at least in the lower 48

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe he was like every other Alaskan kid who wants to carry his gun into the woods for squirrels and plinking with his ol' man on a "guy time" trip?!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
Cdparker, not many remember that story about the black bear at Lake Louise. Apparently you haven't heard the follow up? That bear incident was nearly 30 years ago. A number of years back maybe 5 to ten years, a cold case investigater filed charges and convicted the husband who staged the scene to make it appear as though a bear did it all along it was the husband.

As for the bear at Bird Creek. I watched most of the action as it unfolded. I am very familiar with the bear that killed the kid. He hung around that spot on the side of the mountain pretty much every day. I watched as they extracted the body from the spot where he was killed and was surprised that he was so far off the trail.

Bird Creek doesn't get a strong salmon run for a couple weeks only a few King now. I'm a little surprised that race organizers would have this race when bears are at the time of the year they're the most hungry.

I remember the case at Lake Louise. The things some people do is just crazy.

By the way, at least in the interior of Alaska moose have been calving for a few weeks now. Right during the Spring and early summer bears are hungry, too. Agree with you that it's not a good idea to have races and other activities in areas that are known to have bears that are looking for food nearby.

Black bears can be quite nasty. This one a happened to a very nice person from Fairbanks a fe years ago:
http://www.ktuu.com/content/ne...ction-431184913.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So much for the numerous opinions that Black Bears are just the clowns of the woods!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had another Grizzly attack, about 20 miles from here today , guy was apparently geocaching, when he encountered the bear

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/...ear-attack-1.4188285

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:

Rim Rock Bullets . http://rimrockbullets.com/xcar...0-gr-tc-per-300.html

This is the boolit that Buffalo Bore loads in their 10 mm 220 gr ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hooters.

The Clark family are friends of ours. My wife and I .
Time sure does fly by !