Find
Notify
Tools

Recent bear fatality
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
A guy at work missed a Great pic opportunity while on his way out to McClaren River on the Denali Hwy.
He pulled into a turn out to stretch his legs or something. It was one of the Hot days we've had here the last 2 weeks. There was a hot chick in shorty shorts, halter top, and cowboy boots. With a gunbelt and pistol on . !!
He didn't say exactly what handgun it was but sounds like it was full size.

I guess she didn't swallow the modern baloney that bears are harmless.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
An LC9S would have saved them from getting bloody.
Most problem bear encounters DON'T happen with huge brown bear. I hedge my bets with my G20 shooting 220 gr hard cast TC @ 1200 fps . But the fact is that most handguns will work. With many different loads.[/QUOTE

I don't cast my own due to industrial asthma. Where could I buy these. I also have a Glock 10 mm.

Rim Rock Bullets . http://rimrockbullets.com/xcar...0-gr-tc-per-300.html

This is the boolit that Buffalo Bore loads in their 10 mm 220 gr ammo.

I just got some 220 gr .401 boolits today with the widest meplat I have seen on a 40 bullet or boolit. Cast from clip on wheel weights and water dropped. They are from a Mehek mold that was part of a group buy. I'm going to see if that mold is still available. And/or check Accurate Molds . Or maybe LBT.
The Rim Rock 220 gr boolit feeds 100% as is tho. Doesn't need aftermarket mag springs tho and it has a nice meplat also. I'll load some of these up and see how they feed and other particulars.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like that is a nice bullet but at 26.00 a 100 one can buy a Lee mold and pay for it easily with a couple of hundred.

Posts: 19599 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is about the max meplat and weight I have found that should work.
http://www.accuratemolds.com/b...bullet=40-215F-D.png.

I haven't found a Lee mold that is near this . Plus , he doesn't cast his own.