New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black Bear kills young man running.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a predatory attack I guess the poor bear was just hungry.

Over the years I have encountered several bears while out running.

Never felt one was a threat enough to shoot but did have one sow in my sights as she stood there and popped her teeth at me.

She was about 30 yards away she slapped both of her cubs off the road then turned towards me.

I guess a 100lb lab and a person with a pistol in his hand yelling at her change her mind as she also ran off into the brush.

Posts: 19433 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Be interesting to know the sex of this bear. Males get extremely aggressive during their breeding season? I had one charge at me last month while I was driving a four wheeler by one of my feeding locations. I would guess that cubs were involved it is was a female. We had a lady get eaten by a black bear one county over last year. If the guy was running, he probably did not even realize what was happening until it was too late.

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We had a lady get eaten by a black bear one county over last year. If the guy was running, he probably did not even realize what was happening until it was too late.

Predatory attacks are more common then protective attacks with black bears.

Article said he had time to call his parents and tell them he was being followed.

Here is a little bit easier read version with out the Adds

http://gunwatch.blogspot.com/2...-it-should-have.html

Do you have any more info on the death done by you.

I am always interested in such.

Was it the one that the lady was feeding all the bears.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very sad and very tragic! Mad

One of Us
Picture of Capt. Purvis
posted Hide Post
Did he have a can of hornet or bear spray?

Captain Clark Purvis
www.roanokeriverwaterfowl.com/

Posts: 1141 | Location: Eastern NC Outer Banks | Registered: 21 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope only his cell phone

one of us
posted Hide Post
There were two deaths by black bear recently !Has there been a food shortage in Alaska ?

One of Us
Picture of cdparker
posted Hide Post
They don't know about the one near Delta from this AM. Apparently they got the one down from Anchorage. So far they are thinking that they were predatory attacks.

Posts: 58 | Location: Mat Valley, Alaska | Registered: 31 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So far they are thinking that they were predatory attacks.

Humans soft pink no claws or teeth don't run very fast.

Unless armed they are easy prey, armed they are most efficient predators in the world.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cdparker:
They don't know about the one near Delta from this AM. Apparently they got the one down from Anchorage. So far they are thinking that they were predatory attacks.

Yes, the bear by the POGO mine that killed one lady and injured another was a predatory black bear. It was shot and killed while protecting its food (the dead woman).

Here is the News Miner's article:
http://www.newsminer.com/news/...96-0eb3307161d2.html

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My reply in the AK forum.

From the article

As field work is resumed, Pogo Mine will use dedicated bear guards as a standard practice, she said.

.The bear retreated for a short time but returned, Murphy said. It came back more than once, he said.

Why were not these workers armed with firearms.

Pogo Mine left the decision of field safety to ABR, and the crew opted for bear spray, Murphy said.

A fatal decision.

My guess is that as modern women biologists they brought into that all wild animals are friendly furry forest creatures.

That spray is better than a firearm.

That Black bears are harmless a attack is so rare it well never happen to you.

That bears never really want to eat you.

When something is trying to kill you firearms are a better choice by far.

As proven by Phil even a smaller 9mm would have saved these women.

A needless death and mauling cause by political correctness and the Disney view of wildlife

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
The fact that the women were able to use bear spray proves they had time to use a firearm.

A problem with so many in the shooting world concerning bear attacks , They assume ALL dangerous bear encounters happen at 40 miles an hour from 20 feet away and a thousand pound brown bear. So they wrongly conclude ya need some Great Big Gun to keep from being chewed up.
Phil did a great service by documenting his 9mm bear situation so thoroughly!
If people would just study it and not make pre conceived assumptions. An LC9S would have kept them alive and healthy. And wouldn't be overly encumbering.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If people would just study it and not make pre conceived assumptions. An LC9S would have kept them alive and healthy. And wouldn't be overly encumbering.

The anti hunting, anti firearms, crowd and the bear spray manufactures have done a very good job of promoting bear spray.

It has proven to fail.

I have never seen a case where a firearm has been deployed in a non-hunting self defense bear situation that resulted in a fatality by the bear.

I could have missed it

If any one has documentation of one I would really like to see it.

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Some predatory animals such as cats and dogs are attracted to running creatures that appear to be fleeing the predator.
If this is true of bears that are predators, why would any unarmed person go jogging where bears and mountain lions live?

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple years ago while October archery hunting I had an honest 350# black climb up the tree I was sitting in. My first thought was he was just curious until he was six feet from me and still coming. I tried to hit him with my pack but he swatted out of my hand, I gave him a size 12 EEE on the snout an he backed down the tree but hung around for 10 minutes huffing and puffing.
I do not know what he was thinking but he was more than curious that I can assure you. Now I put my 10 mm on my belt when hunting where there are bears in the area.

Posts: 736 | Location: Quakertown, Pa. | Registered: 11 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If this is true of bears that are predators, why would any unarmed person go jogging where bears and mountain lions live?

Very true I have been a active runner for over 40 years. As soon as I legally could I carried some type of pistol with me.

I now carry Ti 41 mag loaded with 210gr hard cast.

In more civilized places I carry my Glock 23.