Find
Notify
Tools

Buying a Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I hope to make it to the Palmer gun show this weekend, but I am not clear if I will need an Alaska drivers license or will my police ID work?
I haven't had time to trade in my CA license yet. Perhaps I will be heading to DMV this week. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not sure but a guy here got in a bunch of administrative with the atf agent here (who is a prize azzhole) he was an x cop that sold guns mainly out of his basement to friend cops. he was told that the police id was no good that they wanted a dl

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks! There is always the private party sale. Lou

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I believe dealers will require a state id, private sale shouldn't require id.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, if you're looking to buy a long gun, you don't have to be a resident of the state. Now, to buy a handgun you do. If you have an Alaska drivers license, you'll have no problem at all with with either. We usually have a table against the west wall next to the Cowboy shooters. Stop by and say hey, I'm the tall, dark and handsome one Wink. Greg

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for great info. I am just looking for long guns, preferably Sakos. If I make it (my going is dependent on a prisoner transport to Anchorage) I will be bringing a couple nice Sakos to trade.

Tall, dark and handsome. Got it! Big Grin Lou

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
The prisoner transport fell through but I'll be there anyway. Didn't come all the way to Alaska to miss a gun show.

When and where are the other big shows in Alaska?

Lou

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have no idea, how you are working as a cop in Alaska without a current Alaska drivers liscense. When I got hired in Barrow it was the the very first thing they made me do.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Department policy? We have a DMV office in the police station. Gal said I had 90 days, but I am sure that's for non cops. I would have had it by now, but she was off for a couple weeks. Now that she's back, I will get this week. Lou

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
State law as far as I can remember.

Now that I am active duty military again, my AK lisence has been expired since 2007 but it doesn't really expire until 3 months after I retire in 2014. Crazy huh?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Department policy? We have a DMV office in the police station. Gal said I had 90 days, but I am sure that's for non cops. I would have had it by now, but she was off for a couple weeks. Now that she's back, I will get this week. Lou

That Driver's license issue date is also what Fish & Game use for residency purposes as far license and tags.

Don't know if you ended up in Dillingham or not but there used to be a brown shirt there that looked at DMV records and compared them to hunting liceses to check for "non-residents" (less than one year) trying to pass as residents

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, I had no problem buying a Winchester M-70 in 375 H+H from Great Northern Guns in Anchorage, with my Connecticut drivers Lic. Its Alaska, not NYC or KYC.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Buying long guns out of state, requires a few things.

1. That your state will let you. IE California, New York and Florida.

2. That you have your actual physical address is on your drivers lisence.

3. That you can answer all the questions

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
That Driver's license issue date is also what Fish & Game use for residency purposes as far license and tags.

Don't know if you ended up in Dillingham or not but there used to be a brown shirt there that looked at DMV records and compared them to hunting liceses to check for "non-residents" (less than one year) trying to pass as residents

Airline tickets, Rent or utility reciepts are also proof of when your one year wait started. Been there done that!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
It's all a mute point now. I am the proud owner of an AL CDL, and just in time because I have two rifles coming in this week.

As far as residency, I actually came here in January to check things out, sign an employment agreement and open my PO Box, etc. I started work in Feb. It's all good now.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Ah , the resident rasilin match .. This is the year I join the Pioneers of Alaska ......... I know how much anticipation there is getting in that first year in.... No doubt you will Doc , but I hope everyone who reads this who doesn,t have the real resident time in doesn,t try to save a very few bucks and there by cost themselves many many times more ........... I know of several goons who got a resident license and brown bear tag , got a bear ,and ended up loosing their bear hide and head after it got back from the tannery or taxidermist and their rifle . and thousands of dollars in fines and attorney fees......

If you are that keen to hunt one of the expensive animals and don,t have the time in , go hunting with a resident who is ..... Bear , goat and sheep are all awesome animals to hunt ,, Just because you don,t pull the trigger , doesn,t mean alot ..... With Brown bear you can use the extra experience anyway .......There are loads of residents who would love to have someone to go hunting with ...... All too often it,s hard to find someone to hunt with .......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Gumboot, I fully agree. Trying to BS a resident license isn't worth it; moreover, as a peace officer I would never consider it. A nonresident license isn't that expensive and I can hunt a bunch of stuff without a guide, and, like you said, I can tag a long with my buddies when they are hunting the big stuff, i.e., bear, moose, caribou, etc. Also, there are plenty of other things to do in the great outdoors of Alaska. I am enjoying buying guns without all the BS I had to deal with in CA, even as a police chief! It's all good!

Lou

one of us
Picture of ironbender
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am the proud owner of an AL CDL,

Unless you mean Alabama, Alaska is "AK".

Just FYI. Wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.

Posts: 113 | Location: In the shadow of the Kenai mountains. | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote