THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Two bears shot in selfdfense handguns do work
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two bears shot in selfdfense handguns do work
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
In all likely hood I would aim center mass. It will all happen so fast that taking the time to try to shoot the bouncing head would be difficult. When a bear charges it usually has its head down so center mass would be more or less where the head would be. I had an old guy tell me once that aiming at the tip of the bears nose was where to aim, that way if you miss high you might get vertebrate or shoulder, left or right would probalby by shoulder, low would be chest. Aiming center mass is the most natural way to aim in a tactical situation and would be as effective on bears as it is on two legged attackers.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thebear_78:
I guess there is a lot of truth to the fact that there are a lot of idiots in alaska too. I just get sick of them sometimes. You can't go five minutes in a sporting goods store, gunshop, or even this forum without seeing or hearing something about adequate bear protection. It really gets on my nerves, from how much discussion there is on the topic you would think somebody was getting nabbed by a bear every day. What we ought to be talking about is adequate caliber for mosquitos!!!I garantee that there is more blood spent by mosquitoes in a given year than there is by bears.

I guess attack of the killer mosquitoes doesn't have near the "dramatic effect" as a bear attack story.

the bear78 animal

you are funnier than seinfeld...or shall i say the tourists are animal

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We are no longer teaching just center mass shots in the lawforcement areas I instruct in. We are going to all high centered chest and head shots.

What we found is that with center mass shots to many officer shooting low and not getting rounds in the vitals.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
whatever works for you pdog, my dad still teaches center mass and it has worked for a lot of years. Sadly I have seen a lot of the police officers shoot that go thru acadamy and wouldn't trust a one of them to go for head shots. Even a shot to the guts will have a dramatic effect on someone. In a world were ever single bullet needs to be accounted for I would go with the largest possible margin of error, center mass.

Ever seen a police shootout before. Its amazing, officers can unload whole clips at a suspect and hit nothing but air.

One of the things that they are teaching more and more in my area is point shooting. THey tape the sights off your duty gun and make you shoot center mass at ever increasing ranges. ONce you get the hang of it its actually quite easy.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actual it hasn't worked for a lot of years. What you end up with is a lot of officers shooting at the whole target causing missing and shots to other non vital areas.

What we are doing is getting them to place their shots into a smaller vital area hopefully getting more of their shots onto the target and into a area that well have more effect instead of just shooting at the body.

Or just spraying and praying.

Every officer being taught in the Wisconsin now is being taught to shoot for the upper CNS and 100% accountiblty.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote