New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caribou drop camp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A buddy and me had a great time on a caribou drop camp in the Brooks.
We sure didn't see many in the area we were dropped off at, but we hunted hard for 6 days and it paid off.

My daughter put this video together for us.

Brooks Range Caribou

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Great bulls! I wanted one pretty bad last year on the drop moose hunt but just didn't see any worth shooting.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Fox
posted Hide Post
Dog Man,
Nice bou, and really good video that your daughter put together. My son and I did a hunt along the Middle Fork of the Forty Mile River, 2 years ago. He wrote a book about the adventure, plus did a video. Our next trip is in the works for 2014. We are looking at going to the North Slope, as my son teaches and coaches football, so the earlier season for caribou in the northern units will be the best for him. What unit did you hunt, and transporter did you use? Good, bad, or ugly about your trip you could share. You can send me a PM if you would rather not post the info here. Again, nice job, and Alaska hunting really gets in a guys blood. Knute

Posts: 38 | Location: Council Grove, KS | Registered: 02 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
David,
We used Greg Jennen of  grizzinator.com  as our flying service, the same outfit I used on my sheep hunt in the same basic area last year. 
It worked out great but we saw very few caribou, less than a 100. We considered ourselves lucky to get those two bulls. 
To me,   Prudhoe Bay/Deadhorse is a neat experience. I read a couple books on the Trans Alaskan Pipeline history and it just adds to the trip. 

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well done, nice caribous.

A few years ago I killed 2 caribou in AK with my 450/400 3 1/4" double rifle. One of them was in velvet, and I managed to get it back to Texas, and mounted still in velvet.

It is one of my most favorite trophies.

And it was a great hunt as well.

Also the caribou meat was very good to eat, very nice flavor.

I was told it tasted good because it was pre rut...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote