New
Find
Notify
Tools

help me weatherproof my 458
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
As i just aquired a interarms 458 i would like to put some kind of finish on it to make it a little more weatherproof. What would you suggest. Parkerizing,hardchroming,teflon???

Posts: 201 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of KWard
posted Hide Post
Phil Shoemaker who is a guide up there and uses the same .458 and is on this site as well uses rustoleum flat black paint I believe and has had success with it. Certainly cheaper than any of the finishes mentioned and you can keep it up from home. maybe Phil will way in.

Posts: 319 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 31 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
try a product called rusty duck. it is quick, cheap , simple, temporary and works well in a maritime environment.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am getting in some duracoat and gonna airbrush my .338-06 and if I do an excellent job I have others, BPS 10, 30-338. I had a fella in Fbks do his Arctic kote on a .338 mag of mine and I really do not care for it-seems over priced. I used rustoleum paint with a primer one time - never worked the gun hard but it is holding up pretty good.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.sprinco.com and look for something called Plate Plus...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
For what it is worth. Rustoleum is cheap and easy to apply but nowhere near as tough as many newer finishes. <however the blueing under my paint is still nearly perfect after over twenty years of carrying my rifle in Alaska.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Griz,
I tried Armoloy and liked it. Painted a few rifles myself and liked it. I have a Hein 375 H&H on order and I am going with a Roguard black finish:
http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=4&tabindex=2

I havent talked to anyone who had any negative comments about it. Costs just under $300 and is supposed to be more rust resistant than stainless and it is self lubricating. Comes with a lifetime guarantee against corrosion and peeling.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6604 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
an epoxy impregnated stock would be impervious and tough as a billiard ball. as far as the metal goes...keep something on hand at the end of the day, a rifle in the elements should be cleaned but as far as a good coating...see above or truckbed liner spray Big Grin

http://www.rotdoctor.com/epoxy/woodrestoration.html

http://www.abatron.com/nl_1991_summer.html

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have spent many years bead blasting rust and paint off of both stainless and Chrom moly barrels. Many products out there defeat rust in the saltwater climate here in Alaska. I am super happy with teflon as not only is it a
paint but it also gets into the metal pores. If someone falls and scratches it is very quick and easy to mend. I have used many quarts and have never had any complaints.

Think of how long your teflon coated frying pan
lasts?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ncooper,
Tell us more about the teflon you are using. I too have had the Artic Kote done in Fairbanks and although it has worked for me it is not cheap. He is charging $250 for a bolt action rifle now.It was $200 a year ago.

Posts: 170 | Location: Interior Alaska | Registered: 08 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't remember the brand offhand. I get it straight from the factory where Brownell's gets theirs. Its called gun-Koat I believe. Its not worth $250. When I charge I usually get $125.
SOmetimes half of that when I put it in with my own stuff. Rush jobs which require me to crank the oven up for baking with only one gun get the $125. If there is ever a problem(never has)
I fix it to your satisfaction. Every color
you can imagine.
I might add that I am not actually doing this as a business. Pretty much got into it as a side because of the high costs and poor workmanship.
Note: Five years ago there was a handful of companies Like KG systems who made all the teflon coating for everyone. Brownell's and others just place their name on it. Fairbanks must be arctic coat. Kodiak is Bear coat?
Neal

Neal

One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
Sportsman's Warehouse in ANC carries Gun-Kote. That's what I used for mine. Easy to apply and the finish is durable. Just got to bake it in the oven to cure the finish when your wife ain't around. I think I only paid $20 for the can and it's enough for a couple of guns.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BusMaster007
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
For what it is worth. Rustoleum is cheap and easy to apply but nowhere near as tough as many newer finishes. <however the blueing under my paint is still nearly perfect after over twenty years of carrying my rifle in Alaska.

I used Rustoleum BBQ BLACK 1300-degree paint on my old L1A1.
Taped everything off that I didn't want to paint, hung it in the garage with coat hangers and just kept adding light coats ( no pun intended Razzer ) until the gun was covered.
I let it sit for a WEEK. Then it was dry.

I took that gun all over the place and shot it until it was smoking --- the paint never wore off!
I was AMAZED.
I sold the gun eventually, but the paint was still intact and unscathed.

The trick is to LEAVE IT ALONE FOR A WEEK.
Keep your grubby mitts off the gun and let the paint DRY.
It'll hold up beyond your expectations.

GOOD LUCK with whatever you choose to use!

NAHC Life Member
NRA Endowment/Life Member
Remington Society of America Member
Hunter in Training

Posts: 750 | Location: Upper Left Coast | Registered: 19 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 338 is also spray painted. last time I did it was about 5 years ago, its time to do it again. starting to look thin around the muzzle from going in and out of the gun case.

its ugly but it works, alot of good looking finishes out nowadays but paint does work.

my co-pilot is parkerized and holds up well.

I've found that rust blueing works pretty good up here. I had my 458Lott rust blued and I carried it in all manners of weather and it held up better than my parkerized 45-70.

My wifes interarms 30-06 is blued and holds up great of course she takes care of it in wet weather. Her stock was stripped down and has about 17 coats of linseed oil. I could dip it in a bbl of water and leave it and it wont soak up a drop.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote