Thursday, May 19, 2016

 Alaska Dispatch News

© 2016 Alaska Dispatch News

Alaska News

Juneau man says he's grateful to be alive after brown bear mauling

 Author: Jerzy Shedlock, Chris Klint
 Updated: 35 minutes ago
 Published 9 hours ago

Kenneth Steck doesn't know why a large brown bear that charged and mauled him in the thick brush near the Southeast Alaska town of Yakutat stopped its attack. Steck came to believe he may die in those brief moments, and he told God he accepted that outcome.

"I remember thinking 'My wife is losing her husband,' and then I thought 'God, if you're calling me home, I'm willing,' " said Steck Wednesday during an interview in a family member's East Anchorage home, where he is recovering after being hospitalized at Providence Alaska Medical Center for four days.

Originally from a Chicago suburb, Steck came to the state four years ago after enrolling in the outdoor studies program at Alaska Pacific University. His courses, including lessons about bear safety, have carried over into his exploration of his new home.

Kenneth and his wife, Hannah Steck, were visiting friends and family in Yakutat last week from their home in Juneau. Eight of them headed for Disenchantment Bay on May 12; the Stecks wanted to explore somewhere they'd never been. The group traveled using a 22-foot aluminum skiff and set up camp on a gravel bar on the east side of Calahonda Creek.

After a bear mauled him last Friday, Hannah Steck helps her husband Kenny Steck on May 18, 2016. (Scott Jensen / Alaska Dispatch News)

After a bear mauled him last Friday, Hannah Steck helps her husband Kenny Steck on May 18, 2016. (Scott Jensen / Alaska Dispatch News)

The next morning was hot and sunny. Kenneth Steck decided around 10:30 a.m. to fill up water jugs at a snowmelt waterfall flowing nearby. He informed some of the other campers of his plans and set off, leaving behind the rifles that'd been brought along for the trip. He said he also didn't have bear mace.

He filled the water jugs and started back, he said. On the trek back to camp, Kenneth Steck heard loud snapping and cracking of branches.

"I turned around immediately after hearing that commotion and there's a brown bear in a full charge toward me," Kenneth Steck said, sitting on a coach, his right leg propped up on a stool and his right arm in a sling hidden beneath a plaid button-up. "Immediately I yelled 'Hey bear, hey bear' to identify myself as a person and hopefully he will take off the other way or bluff charge."

But the brown bear was on Kenneth Steck within seconds. Kenneth said he could hear the bear breathing as it was running toward him. At the same time Kenneth walked slowly backward and ended up falling on his back. He screamed as loud as he could.

"That's when I heard him," Hannah said.

Kenneth instinctively put his right foot up to try and distance himself from the bear, but it swiped and ripped his boot and leg "clean open." The bear moved toward Kenneth's upper body.

"I remember like feeling the bear was swallowing me. I remember feeling like I was in the bear's mouth or throat. It was very wet … In those moments, it felt like an eternity, but I'm sure it was just a few seconds," he said.

The thoughts of dying passed through Kenneth Steck's mind. Too many thoughts one would think were possible in that amount of time, he said. He believes God intervened to help him.

The bear took off.

Steck suffered numerous injuries to his scalp, chest and calf. Hannah Steck said the bear just missed Kenneth's femoral artery. The bear also wounded Kenneth's right shoulder.

Despite large gashes in his leg, the bloodied and muddied camper stood up and decided to head for help, toward his friends. Adrenaline was in full gear, he said. Soon after, Hanna Steck and Clint Ivers, the boat captain, were at his side.

After a bear mauling on Friday, May 13, 2016, Kenny Steck recieved treatment for his injuries at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage. (Photo courtesy: Hannah Steck)

After a bear mauling on Friday, May 13, 2016, Kenny Steck recieved treatment for his injuries at Providence Alaska Medical Center in Anchorage. (Photo courtesy: Hannah Steck)

Hannah, a registered nurse of about four years, checked on her husband. He was aware and talking but it was apparent they needed to get out of the remote Alaska wilderness.

Kenneth was loaded onto a boat with four others — Hannah as well as her brother and sister-in-law Isaiah and Heidi Carlson, all three of whom are nurses. Ivers piloted the boat.

Yakutat police officer Jeff Lee said the U.S. Coast Guard was informed by radio of the attack shortly after noon on Friday. Hannah said the group boated for about 20 minutes before their marine radio got a good signal.

Lee said police monitoring the call learned that a group was still about an hour away. It was decided responders in Yakutat would intercept the boat, he said.

Kenneth arrived at Providence at 4 p.m. on Friday; doctors discharged him Monday afternoon. Family, friends and former church members from when the Stecks lived in Anchorage came to visit and wish him well in the hospital, he said.

According to Lee, the area's bears outside Yakutat proper are "a different breed," because they're not acclimatized to humans.

"These bears just don't run," Lee said. "I've had them where you're taking a photo, and they see you and they actually start coming at you."

According to Lee, nobody at the Yakutat Police Department could recall a bear mauling in the immediate vicinity — but that if a mauling was going to occur, it was most likely to happen in Disenchantment Bay.

"We have a lot of bear incidents, but we don't have a lot of bears actually getting a hold of somebody," Lee said. "It's not surprising that someone got mauled by one, given the amount of bear traffic in that area."

Ken Marsh, an Anchorage-based spokesman with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, said in an email that staff had decided not to seek out and kill the bear, because a biologist who investigated the mauling found signs that the attack wasn't predatory in nature.

"The biologist was able to interview the mauling survivor at the hospital and determined that the attack was likely the result of the man (who was walking through dense brush) surprising the bear at close quarters," Marsh wrote. "The attack lasted only seconds — just long enough for the surprised bear to neutralize a perceived threat."

Marsh said that the mauling is the third reported to Fish and Game so far this year, following April attacks that injured two other men. Glenn Bohn, 77, was mauled by a grizzly bear while hunting off Mile 77 of the Denali Highway; his hunting partner shot and killed the bear involved. Later that month, University of Alaska Southeast mountaineering professor Forest Wagner was critically injured by a brown bear while leading a UAS class group on a trip near Haines.

Once things calmed down, Kenneth Steck said he spent time thinking about the mauling and how it could have gone differently. He could have brought a gun or bear spray, but he doesn't believe he had enough time to fire a steady shot with either.

He also thinks injuring the bear may have only aggravated it, potentially making the attack worse. The incident has changed him physically and mentally for the rest of his life, he said, but he's glad he was mauled and not his loved ones. He thanked everyone who helped him survive.

"I will cherish and appreciate life a little more every day from now on," he said.

Kenneth also refuses to shy away from the outdoors. He was set to start a Bureau of Land Management job next week in Glenallen, but those plans have been put on hold. For now, the focus is recovery.

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lucky man.
But, always best to have a long gun, pistol or at least bear spray, or all the above while in bear territory.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
You bring bear spray and a rifle and don't carry them. Not the brightest bulb in the box!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
You bring bear spray and a rifle and don't carry them. Not the brightest bulb in the box!

You get complacent, you get lazy. After the first couple days the handgun on your belt gets obnoxious, the rifle superfluous. Broad daylight, you're just going for water,........

Posts: 9215 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
You get complacent, you get lazy. After the first couple days the handgun on your belt gets obnoxious, the rifle superfluous. Broad daylight, you're just going for water,........

Amen to that Scott, I find myself always doing camp duties, short scouting trips marching through alder thickets WITHOUT protection most of the time, there is always an excuse not to pick up the iron pig 06 or 375 because your hands are full of stuff to carry, then you hear a story like this which makes me think I need to adhere to my Boy Scott motto I took decades ago, "Be prepared".

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
there is always an excuse not to pick up the iron pig 06 or 375 because your hands are full of stuff to carry,

That's what they make light weight magnum handguns for.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I carried a 458 most of the time when I lived in AK but I must admit it was not always handy and therefore it was useless. Handguns as Scott said are obnoxious and pull your pants down.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Handguns as Scott said are obnoxious and pull your pants down. Mark

I carry a pistol everywhere, every day. My pants don't come down unless I want them to Roll Eyes ! You just need some guidance on selection of a proper belt, holster (chest models?) and sidearm. There are so many options these days that there is no excuse to go anywhere unarmed.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 44 magnum is heavy as hell. I do not want to carry it. What light weight big bore pistol do you all recommend.

I have a concealed weapons permit and carry daily . However, carrying in the bush in Alaska is a totally different thing.

Posts: 12019 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
My 44 magnum is heavy as hell. I do not want to carry it. What light weight big bore pistol do you all recommend.

I have a concealed weapons permit and carry daily . However, carrying in the bush in Alaska is a totally different thing.

I like the airlite model revolvers.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
quote:

I carry a pistol everywhere, every day. My pants don't come down unless I want them to Roll Eyes ! You just need some guidance on selection of a proper belt, holster (chest models?) and sidearm. There are so many options these days that there is no excuse to go anywhere unarmed.

Run around Alaska for a season and get back to us on being armed every day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Run around Alaska for a season and get back to us on being armed every day

Really and what is the difference then wearing a firearm in the field any where else.

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. It is a heavy bastard, even with a chest holster. A lot of guys are buying the new Glock 10mm. Not a bad option. A buddy has the S&W 329 Scandium framed 44. I like to shoot and that thing would be painful. It is super light however.

There is a bit of the "cool factor" in having a big revolver, but every season that goes by, I'm thinking about getting the Glock 10mm. You can even keep the weight down further by not loading the magazine fully.

Larry, if you're headed to the Brooks Range for sheep, I wouldn't worry about bringing a pistol.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have a 10mm Glock.

Out of curiosity , why do you say not to worry about it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I already have a 10mm Glock.

Out of curiosity , why do you say not to worry about it?

You have a rifle the guide well have a rifle. if you want bring a handgun go ahead I most likely bring my TI 41 mag s I carry a handgun all the time down here I don't think I would change up there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only reason that I would even think about this is for the tent at night. I am not looking to carry one more thing than I have to.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Larry, Im guessing your guide would advise you to not bother with the handgun and Id think that advise would carry some weight, with you and with out friends here on AR.

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only reason that I would even think about this is for the tent at night. I am not looking to carry one more thing than I have to.

I wouldn't worry about it Larry. BTW, this is my neighbor's yard yesterday.

sofa

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7611 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know Jim. If I have to carry that much extra weight , I would probably rather have my little roll up cot from Barney's.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This comment makes even less sense than your first one. Maybe you could explain the differences in handgun weight when hunting in Alaska versus the Mountains of Montana.

P. S. Larry I always carry a Smith & Wesson 329 airweight 44 or my Glock 20 in 10 millimeter.

"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Look, I'd rather not get cross with you, but you obviously have no experience trying to get around Aaska armed all day every day in the summer or really anytime of year.
Waders and handguns don't work well together, nor do handguns and rains suit s, getting g in and out of boats, parkas, life jackets, bug suits, snowmachines, and on.
Seriously now, every single person I have ever taken out up here has either not carried around a pistol from the start or after the first come of days leaves it in the tent. Mark and I have a couple decades a piece experience in this, and the two of us as well as our guests have survived unscathed. I'm not sharing my thoughts with you based on my personal preferences it's experience. I don't travel to recreate in bear country, I live in it. We have so many bears here I am allowed two per year. Get that? Two brown bears per year, no tag required. I am outside in bear country as I type this and no, I am not armed and yes I think I'll survive the morning.
Hope that makes sense.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I also happen to live in pretty close proximity to a few bears and will say that situational awareness is of much, much more importance than always being armed.

And now that our spring bears season is over I am planning on doing some penetration tests of an assortment of handgun ammunition for lightweight pistols; including 30 Tokarev, 9mm and 357 .
They may not equal the large 44's or 475's but I am guessing that some of the new Buffalo Bore loads might be give plenty of penetration for folks who simply want some reliable level of protection in the more common handguns.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I had absolutely no intention of poking a hornets nest here, I was simply trying to point out that not all handguns "are obnoxious and pull your pants down" and that there are many comfortable and lighter weight carry options for those who choose to do so. I live in the far No. West corner of Montana and can not see or hear another soul from my property. Like you, I spend EVERY day in the woods and routinely wear waders, rain suits, heavy parkas and even snowmobile suits while running my trap line. I also wear a PFD when in one of my boats. Sadly even though we have a lot of grizzlies we can not hunt them (but that's a political ruling not based on biology). I personally could care less what steps other people take regarding their personal security because that is their business. In 29yrs I have never felt the need to shoot at a griz but I also realize that could all change when I go out to get firewood tonight. To each his own..........Packin' in Montana!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad he came out ok in the mauling. I am sure his thinking on what to have for safety equipment and when to carry , will change for ever. I much prefer to learn from other people's mistakes rather than through mine.
I don't live in grizzly country, but hunt in it. even in black bear or lion country, I treat it the same. We all have different comfort levels.

When entering their domain. I visualize entering a caged fighting ring with an apex predator opponent. You can't with certainty expect a bluff charge. Nor can you rely on anyone ALL the time for help. On your own, no human has a chance. The bear has 20 claws and jaws 24/7, always armed, muscled and with the will to commit mayhem and partake of your body at his whim. To them we are entering their arena under their terms.
That is not a way to enter a fight till death. Begging for mercy by trying to calmly call Hey bear while you stain your droars doesn't sit well with me or ease me from a cardiac arrest.

The only thing that can even the odds is our mental ability to think, pre plan by using tools , with honed skills and willingness to kill.

Personally I always have my S&W 329 4" with XS big dot sight in a Diamond D leather chest holster. Yes, even in the pup tent in the sleeping bag, I sleep with it on. I don't have to fish for it in the dark, when everything is being turned inside out. I can access it either hand 24/7. If weight is an issue. Leave the beers and sodas at home. Find a way to always have it. You owe yourself and your family at least that. Yes a rifle is much better, but access is not always guaranteed. I don't want to play footsie with murphy.

Scott I know you don't live near bears but in the lion's den. Float hunting the Alagnak out of King Salmon was something to behold.
I wish all of you safe journeys in all your wilderness ventures.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mlfguns:
I am glad he came out ok in the mauling. I am sure his thinking on what to have for safety equipment and when to carry , will change for ever. I much prefer to learn from other people's mistakes rather than through mine.
I don't live in grizzly country, but hunt in it. even in black bear or lion country, I treat it the same. We all have different comfort levels.

When entering their domain. I visualize entering a caged fighting ring with an apex predator opponent. You can't with certainty expect a bluff charge. Nor can you rely on anyone ALL the time for help. On your own, no human has a chance. The bear has 20 claws and jaws 24/7, always armed, muscled and with the will to commit mayhem and partake of your body at his whim. To them we are entering their arena under their terms.
That is not a way to enter a fight till death. Begging for mercy by trying to calmly call Hey bear while you stain your droars doesn't sit well with me or ease me from a cardiac arrest.

The only thing that can even the odds is our mental ability to think, pre plan by using tools , with honed skills and willingness to kill.

Personally I always have my S&W 329 4" with XS big dot sight in a Diamond D leather chest holster. Yes, even in the pup tent in the sleeping bag, I sleep with it on. I don't have to fish for it in the dark, when everything is being turned inside out. I can access it either hand 24/7. If weight is an issue. Leave the beers and sodas at home. Find a way to always have it. You owe yourself and your family at least that. Yes a rifle is much better, but access is not always guaranteed. I don't want to play footsie with murphy.

Scott I know you don't live near bears but in the lion's den. Float hunting the Alagnak out of King Salmon was something to behold.
I wish all of you safe journeys in all your wilderness ventures.

I sorry to say Im generally troubled by your post and disagree with it on several points. Foremost, this not a lions den. I suspect my peers above would agree with me when I say we have bears like we got sea gulls, willow bushes, robins and fireweed. Bears are just here, theyre part of the landscape and are to be interacted with using the same common sense that one would with the willows or gulls.

The sleeping with the gun strapped on troubles me for a couple reasons at least. One, as a guide or host, I would be genuinely worried to have a guest in camp that felt the need or fear to not let that gun off their person. I am known occasionally to be up in the dark of night to whiz, as is my dog, the occasional moose, porkipine, beaver and bear.It would worry me to no end to know that a guest in my camp displaying that kind of distrust could with a ill thought pull of the trigger seriously goof up or end a trip outdoors. Two, sleeping with a strapped on firearm to me begs for an accidental discharge. Un intentionally shooting your fanny or weiner off while asleep would certainly be a concern, me taking your bullet while you snore and twitch a bigger concern. Three, leave the beer home?!?!?!

Honestly fellas, these kinds of topics engage me solely because I am a frequent host to traveling sportsmen and the fear generated by these in experienced, misinformed posts create un necessary problems and issues for me.

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, even in the pup tent in the sleeping bag, I sleep with it on.

Eeker Eeker Eeker

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott with due respect, you misinterpreted my post.
When posting about the lion's den. I meant you did not have to go far to maybe see the animal. But actually live in their terrain and concur they are apart of the landscape and life. You have adapted and know what works for YOU and gave credance to your earlier post.

My reference to beer, is I have seen the haviland beaver float plane being loaded with beer and or sodas which are heavy and a wiser choice is to have the pistol, for ME. I don't drink and especially in that type of terrain where you need all your faculties operating and never with firearms period. Nor do I condone it.

I am not in a cabin, or my house observing the back yard, boat or structure near civilization of any size. But in a pup tent. Sleeping on the ground, noise is transmitted better through conduction than through air. I can usually hear footsteps and have heard bears right outside, no problems, I was prepared and in the worst case scenario, I was not going to be an easy target. If I was scared, I would not be there.

I don't sleep on my stomach, only on my side and back. with the chest holster, it does not interfere period. With the quality Double D holster and retainer. The gun is not going to go off on it's own and shoot the python. I don't sleep walk nor do I play with guns when asleep. If it ever becomes unholstered, it will be for my defense or my partner. If a person is unsure with their gun handling ability, they have no buss. being in the woods, especially in that environment. I have seen hunters and guides and not all are gifted with wisdom or skill. Many are.

I fear one thing on this earth "God", but I Respect many things. Especially mother nature, predatory animals, four legged and two legged kind.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:

I've stayed off the Alaska forum for a good long while mainly because of these (bear threads).
But I can't let this comment slip by .
How in the world is edc any different than "packing in the Alaskan bush " ???????
The G20 SF that lives in my iwb holster is where it lives inside the belt with the muzzle tucked in my back pocket . Currently as in as I type this sitting in my camper in Chicken waiting to go out to the gold mine I'll be working at this season.
It is loaded with Buffalo Bore 220 gr TC hard cast . It chronographs at 1200 fps from the OEM length LW button rifled barrel. We were in Anchorage a few weeks ago. Same pistol, same holster in the same place different mag loaded with 155gr XTP's loaded to 1450 fps. . This is my "live on me " gun. Wether I'm wandering thru the brush , working under my pickup , grabbing a burger at McDonald's ect. .
Any gun is better than No gun. And this one tho kinda minimum is far from inadequate. Mr Shoemaker has stated more than once how he has tested hard cast bullets from a 357 revolver on Big bear skulls and got great penetration. . Heck O Billy, what more do you need . . I just find it amazing that lots of us that actually live in the bush have proven what works . Or at least that it has worked for us . And experienced people on here still don't think it will.
If a pistol pulls her trousers down , Get a pair of suspenders. My goodness . Come on guy's (#$%&-! Man up .
Do I prefer my pistol to my 458 or 9.3 in a bear fight? No , of course not. What I've done is found something that will give me the best service possible on multiple rolls and made it my constant companion.
With a little thot a guy can do things like pack water and have his hands free to carry a rifle . They invented these things called packs , a few thousand years ago that I can attest from personal experience can be used to put many gallons of water in in sealed containers . Leaving the hands free to hold what ever firearm u choose. . In the history of mankind there has never been a time when so many different and amazing handguns were available and at affordable price. . Maybe we should have a Timothy Treadwell award for those members who know better but don't. .
Jimminy Crickets . Some of the bone headed things some of u guys say just brings out the Logger in me.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've been running around Alaska for going on 40 consecutive years wearing a pistol . And I be even used them dozens of times to discourage bears from creating a massive problem for me . Even had to shoot 1 once . Is that enough experience to get back with you.

Sorry, not ment as a personal attack . Just stating that totin a Rosco is far from a difficult or complex problem.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look, I'd rather not get cross with you, but you obviously have no experience trying to get around Aaska armed all day every day in the summer or really anytime of year.
Waders and handguns don't work well together, nor do handguns and rains suit s, getting g in and out of boats, parkas, life jackets, bug suits, snowmachines, and on.
Seriously now, every single person I have ever taken out up here has either not carried around a pistol from the start or after the first come of days leaves it in the tent. Mark and I have a couple decades a piece experience in this, and the two of us as well as our guests have survived unscathed. I'm not sharing my thoughts with you based on my personal preferences it's experience. I don't travel to recreate in bear country, I live in it. We have so many bears here I am allowed two per year. Get that? Two brown bears per year, no tag required. I am outside in bear country as I type this and no, I am not armed and yes I think I'll survive the morning.
Hope that makes sense.

. So, I have about as much as you and Mark combined . Been in every one of those situations . And still had a pistol on me . Unless I had a screaming chain saw in my hands . And I've burned many hundreds of gallons of saw gas , With a pistol on . If u don't pack a pistol , then don't, but please don't speak for all Alaskans when u say that if u live in the bush u won't pack. I do , and I do. And there are lots and lots of us that do.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
quote:

I've stayed off the Alaska forum for a good long while mainly because of these (bear threads).
How in the world is edc any different than "packing in the Alaskan bush " ???????

Since my comment apparently set you off, let me respond. Walking 100 yards from the parking garage to my office wearing my suit with a 380 in my pocket is a far cry from carrying a big heavy 44 mag for 10 days in the bush. My daily carry pistol must be concealed by law. If I took my 44 mag to AK ( which i won't), it does not have to be concealed . The 44 is obviously much heavier and bulkier to carry . Hell, not a chance I could keep my 44 mag concealed. I do not have to worry about weather here in Orlando. I do have to worry about the weather and the impact on the gun in AK. My 380 is plenty to take out the garden variety thug or drugged up homeless person. I wouldn't think about using a 380 for grizzly protection.

Other than that, I can see why these could be confused.

I have no plans to take a pistol when I go in August. I did ask some questions and paid attention to the discussion for learning purposes. Sorry I set you off.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

My guide had a 44 mag snubbie for in the tent during my brown bear hunt on Upper Togiak Lake in 2011. I didn't bring a handgun. With the heart meds I was taking, the bear would've been half through eating me before I woke up anyway. We had bears outside of our tent every night, I mean close. we could hear them fishing 30 feet from our tent. But the lake was packed with salmon and they weren't too interested in us or afraid of us either. No way I would have camped there in the spring when food is scarcer and they're a lot more ornery.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And yes , situational awareness if paramount. But that only accounts for some of the situations . In others like some of the dozens of times I've been stalked or trailed by a bear. Either black or brown . Having a gun on me was part of the deciding factor in wether I was able to maintain life as I know it or be a mauling statistic. I personally know 6 people in just Hoonah alone that have been under a bear or thrown by a bear. . Tho some would claim that walking around "in town" was as safe as being in church . 3 people that I know that were mailed right in Hoonah would school ya on that. And , no we can't kill lots of bears. The tourists want to take pictures of them . Tho Southeast is over run with bears , we can't kill many of them . Far too many people involved in the tourist industry.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
quote:

Since my comment apparently set you off, let me respond. Walking 100 yards from the parking garage to my office wearing my suit with a 380 in my pocket is a far cry from carrying a big heavy 44 mag for 10 days in the bush. My daily carry pistol must be concealed by law. If I took my 44 mag to AK ( which i won't), it does not have to be concealed . The 44 is obviously much heavier and bulkier to carry . Hell, not a chance I could keep my 44 mag concealed. I do not have to worry about weather here in Orlando. I do have to worry about the weather and the impact on the gun in AK. My 380 is plenty to take out the garden variety thug or drugged up homeless person. I wouldn't think about using a 380 for grizzly protection.

Other than that, I can see why these could be confused.

I have no plans to take a pistol when I go in August. I did ask some questions and paid attention to the discussion for learning purposes. Sorry I set you off.

My actual point is that it doesn't need to be a Great Big handgun , to work. I have a friend that takes clients fishing on criks and rivers that always wears his 500 Smith 4" and has shot for his life with it and that of his toddler son. He doesn't find it Too heavy or an inconvenience. He used to pack a 629 Mountain Lite . But he stepped up to the 500 . His dad packs a 5" 460 XVR. His wife now packs the Mountain Lite 44.
But something like a hammerless 357 loaded with Lehigh Penetrators would sure beat feeding a bear your foot or arm . And it's not too heavy a burden. The new 9mm Lehigh Penetrators 115 gr ammo has shown awesome penetration in gelatin. As soon as I can get some I'm going to try them on bear and moose bones. Having run off a couple aggressive bears with a warning shot from a 9 and a bunch of attitude. I can state that a9 is better than nothing . Same with a 40.
I apologize if I was offensive , but , ya don't have to pack a huge hog leg to have bear protection on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, I'm here in Chicken waiting t go out to a mine , I was talking to a guy at another mine a few miles away. I noticed on his belt he had an auto loader. I asked him what it was , he said a 10mm .:-) . So we got to talking . I showed him mine, he showed me his . :-) . 4 days ago he had to use his on a black bear that came roaring out of the brush. 220 gr Buffalo Bore. He didn't get bit or clawed. The thot of him Not packin his pistol all the time is a slapably foolish notion to him.
I remember one time Jim Harrower and I were looking at some work he wanted me to do down by the runway at his Stony River Lodge . He was talking about some grizzly that had been hangin around and asked me if I had my pistol on me. I said no , didn't know I would need it . He looked at me with his steely eyed, concentrated look that generally scared the hell out of at least me. And said , you should Always pack your pistol. . I took his advice. My Hannibal 500 A-Sq. Back at the bunkhouse would have been totally useless if I had a problem , 200 yards away from it.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Odd to me that these tales of marauding bears and ordinary citizens needing to be armed to the teeth, bandoleers of ammo, mucho magnum cartridges and all dont seem to match real life experience.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to hear some comments about the following loads for Brown Bear protection.

Buffalo Bore .357 Magnum 180 Gr.

Buffalo Bore .45 ACP 255 Gr.

Buffalo Bore 9MM +P 147 Gr.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I carry my Sprinfield Pro in 45 ACP with me when I venture out into the mountains. Its' not a big gun, but I shoot it well and the 230g bonded Golden Sabres are deadly accurate in it.

Better to lose a couple of pounds and wear a gun than not and lose more than a couple of pounds...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Odd to me that these tales of marauding bears and ordinary citizens needing to be armed to the teeth, bandoleers of ammo, mucho magnum cartridges and all dont seem to match real life experience.

Now yer just talking trash. Totally bs . . But, like you said in the title. Likely the way YOU would get mauled. ! I wouldn't lots on here wouldn't. Because we are totin a pistol.