Find
Notify
Tools

Likely the way I'd get mauled.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My daily carry pistol must be concealed by law.

In more states than not having to conceal is not the law. As open carry has become a lot more common I open carry or conceal carry mainly depending on the weather.

If I need a jacket the pistol is often concealed if I don't it is out in the open.

I have went away from small handguns the smallest I carry now and for the past 15 years is Glock 23. I carry every day.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
I would like to hear some comments about the following loads for Brown Bear protection.

Buffalo Bore .357 Magnum 180 Gr.

Buffalo Bore .45 ACP 255 Gr.

Buffalo Bore 9MM +P 147 Gr.

As I stated above I am in the process of doing that exact thing but when I ran it past the new powers to be at Wolfe Pub I was told there was no interest is such things .

Those of us who actually live with bears on a daily basis care, and obviously from the number of forums on the subject so do a lot of others.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I'm not around many bears anymore since I'm in Vegas but I'd be interested in an article about smaller handguns for bear protection. If I had thought when I lived in AK that a smaller handgun would have worked as bear protection I surely would have carried one more often. A Super Blackhawk, S&W 629 or my last handgun a 454 Casull are just not fun to carry around.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good penetrating bullet is what is needed.

Most people make the mistake of using bullets designed for two legged predators most of them are designed for 12 to 18 inches of penetration.

A hard cast heavy for caliber bullet well easily do 30 inches. I have seen a 315gr hard Cast WFN out of a 44 mag at 1300 fps go through 4 feet of black bear. Shot in the chest exited out the rear ham.

I have had no trouble driving a hard cast 215gr SWC at 1100 fps out of my 41mag through the heads of several bears including one over 500lbs

Buffalo bore ammo is good stuff if I didn't cast and reload I most likely buy theirs for bears.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Ive looked at those 45 ACP Buffalo bore rounds, how do they shoot? I have a Springfield Long Slide I shoot 45 Supers out of so they should be lower pressure for sure.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never shot them my hand loads of a 255gr swc at 875fps out of an 4 inch 45 shoot very well.