THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    How close would you have allowed before Ka-Boom
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How close would you have allowed before Ka-Boom
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
check this brown bear hunt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsJLISMIPjg

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Randall's got it right.. my personal range is about 20"-30' depending. The bigger the gun the closer the bear is the usual rule of thumb!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makes bow hunting bear look like a stunt. That bear showed no real reaction to be hit twice.

Posts: 1288 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Makes bow hunting bear look like a stunt. That bear showed no real reaction to be hit twice.

That bear was going to go down real soon after that second shot. But you are correct in that if there had not been a back up gun there some people would have got hurt real bad...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get audio, but no video.

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
What a rush that would be!
Almost looked like first arrow missed low?
Second arrow was a killer (in time).
Anybody know what the backup rifle was?
Real exciting footage and what a huge Bear.
I think the guide handled it like a true pro hats off to him. If he would have dumped the Bear before the charge the client would have felt shortchanged instead he got to stick it and get charged by a huge Bear, real exciting, makes me wish I were there.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Most likely Luke was shooting his 375 and he showed what a real pro he is. He attempted to scare the bear and finally let it get as close as possible before putting it down.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if I would have let the bear that close depending only on a single shot since it was a bolt action and looking at the video that bear had evil intent and was fairly close when the shot rang off. Now considering the4 bear weighed over 1400 pounds I would have wanted a SXS rifle
When I did my Brown Bear hunt I used my own reloads, I weighed each loaded cartridge to ensure all was good and I cycled each round through my gun to ensure everything would work but there is always that uncertainty especially with Alaska weather, rain cold etc where I have read of firing pins freezing and the like
You really place a lot of trust on your equipment. There is no doubt the guide wanted not to interfere with the bow hunters dream but he surely did not have any choice. To me it looked like the first arrow went under the bear but the video shows an exit wound that may have been from the first shot since the 2nd shot was high in the chest

I am sure the guide as proven in this video has nerves of stone and knows what it takes to stop 1400 lbs of intent

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
I think if I was was back-up with the rifle I sure would not have a range finder in hand after the first shot was take with the bow. I would have both hands on the rifle.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700xcr:
I think if I was was back-up with the rifle I sure would not have a range finder in hand after the first shot was take with the bow. I would have both hands on the rifle.

I think he was doing what a good guide does and he was intent on getting his client another well aimed shot.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:

I think he was doing what a good guide does and he was intent on getting his client another well aimed shot.

Amen.....

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Just gotta love AR and the armchair quarterbacking likely from those that never have been that close to a Brownie.

This was well done, start to finish.

I have friends that live here that have dumped Brown/Grizzly with a bow and no rifle back up.

Smart!! Maybe not. But if that bow hunter had just hunkered down after the second shot that bear may not have homed in and it would have bled out, as the shot looked good.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I shot a lion years ago, and suddenly a lioness charged us.

My PH and me both had our rifles on her, and he was shouting DON'T SHOOT, DON'T SHOOT!

I kept her in my scope, and decided as soon as her head fills the scope, I will fire!

She stopped a few yards before us, and went and stood by the dead lion.

And as we had a lioness on quota, my PH suggested I shoot her too.

Another shot and that was the end of it.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67408 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
quote:

I am not saying that the guide was not good at all! just giving my if I was opinion.

Posts: 191 | Location: Kennewick,Wa. | Registered: 20 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
PhilR,
Sometimes on Popup Video you need to go "full screen" to get the video to appear. It is a setting on your device etc. but this usually works.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That's what grizzly hunting is all about IMHO. Being close up and personal ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After finishing off a couple wounded 400 to 500lb black bears at 5 to 6 feet. A couple at muzzle touching distance.

I would have ditched the range finder after the first bow shot.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
After finishing off a couple wounded 400 to 500 black bears at 5 to 6 feet. A couple at muzzle touching distance.

Absolutely, But it's a thrill you won't soon forget.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4737 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
that was perfectly done in ever respect.....as noted the bruin after the 2nd arrow got up on that ridge left of them and took scent of them and turned. Chances are if the wind was favorable and blowing behind the hunters we would have witnessed the animals demise by the pointy stick. Nice work.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 700xcr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
After finishing off a couple wounded 400 to 500 black bears at 5 to 6 feet. A couple at muzzle touching distance.

Like I said earlier in my post but got accused of being an arm chair quarterback.

Absolutely, But it's a thrill you won't soon forget.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A perfect example of how it is done right. Unless you have been there with a DG charge 5yds or under you can't appreciate the moment, it's a surreal moment for some, a moment of terror for others.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
A perfect example of how it is done right. Unless you have been there with a DG charge 5yds or under you can't appreciate the moment, it's a surreal moment for some, a moment of terror for others.

Ups the pucker factor for sure my son and I were working into the hounds as they were going at in in some very thick brush. Visibility less then 10 feet most of the time.

As we near the hounds I handed him my rifle drew my 7.5 inch 44mag His eyes got big and said you not going in after that bear with that. I told him If I can't shoot and kill a bear at 10 to 5 feet with my pistol. All those many 10s of thousands of rounds of practice were for nothing.

When I finely got close enough to see the first hound about 6 feet away I knew they did not have a bear bayed. At about 4 feet I saw they had a coon.

My son told me after wards he needs more pistol practice I said yep.

Adrenalin rush for sure being up close to something big and hairy that is mad gets the old ticker going.

That time is was only a coon other times it has been big and black.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice video. Looked like the guide did all he could do to not use his rifle. Great bear. Too bad the bear figured out where they were and charged. Gotta say I'd hunt with that guide in a heartbeat. Bruce

Posts: 376 | Location: Gillette, Wy USA | Registered: 11 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Me too!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of swenative
posted Hide Post
wow, that´s Close! Nice video

Posts: 49 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 14 May 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The guide did a great job. He protected those guys from becoming steaming bear shit.

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by waterrat:
Randall's got it right.. my personal range is about 20"-30' depending. The bigger the gun the closer the bear is the usual rule of thumb!

Yup. ×2 .
But I find that the older I get the more I prefer 50' to 20'

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something else to consider is that when a bear is shot in "self-defense" or the defense of a client, the Fish & Game essentially conducts a coroner-type investigation and as I understand it, it is very thorough.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:

Some of them are surreal, some are terrifying. Just like car crashes, falling off a ladder or topping a tree up about cloud level.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
Something else to consider is that when a bear is shot in "self-defense" or the defense of a client, the Fish & Game essentially conducts a coroner-type investigation and as I understand it, it is very thorough.

This particular bear was taken on the hunters tag. So ADF+G needn't concern themselves.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Does anyone else see the humor in the fact that there are all sorts of armchair experts willing to both criticize Alaskan guide for being too quick on the trigger and then critiquing them for not shooting quick enough on a charging bear.

A wounded bear that gets away into the pucker brush is likely to become a charging bear, only from a very close and unpredictable direction.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn! That's close.

I cannot even pretend to know how I'd react or how I would perform under those circumstances.

Cool video, thanks.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow great video. Getting me excited for my bear hunt. Someone said that was a .375? Good that's what I am taking. Looked effective

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn fine guide! Great shooting under pressure!

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Most likely Luke was shooting his 375 and he showed what a real pro he is. He attempted to scare the bear and finally let it get as close as possible before putting it down.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Does anyone else see the humor in the fact that there are all sorts of armchair experts willing to both criticize Alaskan guide for being too quick on the trigger and then critiquing them for not shooting quick enough on a charging bear.

A wounded bear that gets away into the pucker brush is likely to become a charging bear, only from a very close and unpredictable direction.

Phil you don't necessarily have to be a Bear guide or from Alaska to see the humor in the comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Played...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's the thing I really noticed.....that range finder would have been on the ground if it had been me....

Guess the guide is experienced in this sort of thing and has a much higher tolerance level for close proximity of a dangerous animal.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Apparently so.......

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2852 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You would expect a bear guide to know how close to let it get and to be able to deal with it. Now me.....

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Excellent performance from the guide. Having been in that situation on 2 different hunts I can say it takes alot to keep your wits about you. Beautiful bruin for sure.

Every year I hear stories about brownie sows being shot under DLP during a "preceived" charge at 15+ yards and just as many stories of where experience saved numerous bears that were bluff charging.