New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wet Weather Rifle Prep.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 10 day moose hunt booked for September in Alaska, which can be one of the wetter months. I want to take and use a rust blued & walnut 9.3x64 on this hunt. However, a little voice says leave it at home and take a "tool", which would be a fiberglass stocked rifle with NP3 finish on the metal in 375 Ruger.

Question RE: Gun Prep.

What is the best way to protect the metal on the rust blued gun? Currently considering either CorrosionX or car wax. Is there something better to use?

Or, should I listen to the little voice and slap a piece of tape over the end of the barrel of the synthetic gun and use it.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to use my rifle as a walking stick thru many creeks during my hunt in Alaska. I can't imagine putting a walnut stock thru that. I'd listen to the little voice.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I live and hunt in similar weather to what you'll experience and don't generally take nice firearms outside.

True, I don't own any.

My Rem .375 is blued as is my Ruger redlabel and Rem -06. All have sustained normal Dillingham wear and tear, i.e., weather damage.

I prefer to go hunt moose and prioritize the hunting of moose. Doing so with a particular firearm possibly ill suited to the moose hunt could be a detraction. Will you be spending more time worrying about the finish of the rifle or where the moose are?

This year I think I'll be using a 9.3 x62 on a stainless Ruger action with a wood laminate stock. I'll care for the rifle, but not too much, I'll be concentrating on looking for big bulls.

Posts: 9212 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with blued rifles and walnut stocks. I spray the stock with a layer of Campdry silicone spray. I use Barricade cloth and then I tape the barrel and even much of the action with electrical tape. Finally I use camo cloth tape on the wood stock. This works in even the most brutal conditions.
This year I am taking a Nosler TGR in 338 Win with Leupold scope so I am not taking my Cooper model 52 or my JOC Winchester Tribute. However, I would think twice about bringing your best girl to the show. You shoot better with something that you are accustomed to.

Best luck,

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a great write up on Alaska Outdoor Directory, shooting forum, "Results of gun care product evaluation", by Rancid Crabtree.

Posts: 282 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a tool. You'll thank yourself later.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Mark said...
He has been there and lived there....

This is not a "pretty gun" hunt.

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:

This is not a "pretty gun" hunt.

Maybe in the beginning but rarely at the end.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Senator
posted Hide Post
Listen to your voice. Take the most rugged gun you can. Mark is right on this one. I have been there and done that.

Life Member NRA
Life Member CA Rifle & Pistol Assoc.
DOJ Certified Handgun Instructor
Rocky Mt. Elk Foundation
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Posts: 535 | Location: Lincoln, CA 95648 | Registered: 19 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I took a blue and walnut gun. I took it out of the stock applied paste wax everywhere before I did my final sight in before I left. When I was there, I ran an oiled bore snake thru the bbl each night. No problems.

You built that 9,3 to hunt with...take it hunting

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10094 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My recommendation, for what it's worth, is to bring the rifle YOU want to hunt with and thereafter call your "Alaskan Moose rifle". I am pretty sure your outfitter will probably have enough Corrosion X so that you can wipe down your rifle each evening if it becomes necessary.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say bring the rifle you want just make sure to wipe it down every evening with a good oil.

On a interior AK hunt I used my blued syt stocked 338 no trouble but had real mild weather with out rain.

If I was to hunt in the rainy areas I have syt stock stainless rifles.

For my some day brown bear hunt I have a stainless syt stock 416 Taylor.

Just for a test a I hunted 4 days of rain put that rifle away wet in a case every night for 3 nights. It was wet for 4 days at the end of 4 days there was no change in the rifle.

No rust no finish damage on the stock nothing.

Try that with a blued wood stock rifle you well be very sorry.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
That blued, walnut 9.3x64 sounds like it's just too much trouble to even own. Send it my way for proper disposal. You'll sleep better at night. Smiler

I really want a 9.3x64 someday that can be a "tool" and look nice at the same time, with heavy emphasis on the tool aspect.

It's either than or get a Ruger Hawkeye African, seal the crap out of the wood, cerakote the metal and enjoy beating the crap out of it.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whichever one you take use Eezox on it liberally both inside and out. It will really help prevent rust and water damage.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
There is a great write up on Alaska Outdoor Directory, shooting forum, "Results of gun care product evaluation", by Rancid Crabtree.

Very interesting results. Here is a direct link to the test http://forums.outdoorsdirector...e-product-evaluation

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Little Voice is never wrong........ take the 'tool'. Mine is a stainless 700 synthetic in .308 Winchester. Been in the mud, snow and rain for about 30 years with little character marks and no rust.

Posts: 5707 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) electrical tape on the metal
2) black duct tape on the wood
3) bore snake for the barrel
4) Go hunt

Posts: 120 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 08 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:

Very interesting results. Here is a direct link to the test http://forums.outdoorsdirector...e-product-evaluation

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't seen that test. Now I know what to do with all my Hornady One Shot as I quit using it due to all the primer mis-fires I was getting with it.

But my final advice to MHC is that if worrying about the condition of your rifle is likely to hamper your overall enjoyment of the trip then by all means you should bring your weather proof/synthetic rifle.
But if hunting with your classic custom rifle will add to your experience, knowing that the rifle might gain a few "beauty marks" in the process, than bring it. I am sure the builder would approve.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
FWIW,

I say take the blued gun. My personal rust cure is Thompson/Center Natural Lube:
https://secure.tcarms.com/stor...ube-cat-no-7309.html

It acts like a paste wax and is quite durable. Warm up your gun and rub the lube on all the metal surfaces. Normal gun oil in the bore and electrical tape the muzzle. Keep spare tape wrapped around the barrel.

I started using the T/C Natural Lube on my muzzle loader years ago. Those old muzzle loader barrels rust just by looking at them. Once I started using the lube, it has never rusted since. It won't discolor the bluing or affect the wood finish.

Make sure the wood is sealed in the inletting.

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've hunted many times in the islands of the southeast (Sitka, et al) and have therefore also incurred the issue of salt water. I've taken wood, laminate, and various composite stocks, finishes, blue, stainless, etc. None received any permanent damage but most were a bit weathered after the hunts. I took a .458 win mag bolt, blued, up the streams for seven straight days with rains lasting five to six hours straight and nightly drying and oil kept everything functional and preserved the rifle. Again, no permanent damage. Obviously, months of this treatment is different, but for one hunt, I wouldn't worry about it. Just oil and lube daily. I would not take a double rifle in this environment, however. As stated, it is no place for fine rifles.

Kelly

Posts: 97 | Location: Texas | Registered: 21 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
a wood stock really presents no problem on a hunt for an animal as large as a moose unless you plan on shooting 400 + yards.
Doug Turnbull hunted with me and I think it rained heavy virtually every day and by the end the forend of his 1886 Win literally felt like rubber but it dried out and with a new coat of oil is still going as far as I know. He plans on taking it on a Dall sheep hunt next month.

The metal is most likely to suffer the most lasting effects but my 458, that I have carried now for over 30 years, is blued steel and running a patch down the barrel with Corrosion X before the hunt and covering the muzzle with tape has kept it clean and rust free. After I have to shoot it I will clean it but by then the animal is in the salt.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jeez just buy a new stock for your rifle and use it.
did you buy it for hunting, or for looking at?, you can't do both.

my two most custom rifles are hunting rifles they got dings and scuffs and scratches.
[mostly from riding in the truck lol]
I have never heard a deer, bear ,antelope, elk, or moose laugh at my scuffed up rifle.
maybe my hearing is just bad.

Posts: 4987 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
jeez
did you buy it for hunting, or for looking at?, you can't do both.

YOU CAN'T !?!?!?
I think hunting with a fine looking custom rifle is a real pleasure and on days when the critters don't cooperate you can at least admire your rifle Big Grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
YOU CAN'T !?!?!?
I think hunting with a fine looking custom rifle is a real pleasure and on days when the critters don't cooperate you can at least admire your rifle

Yep! So true.

I tend to use more than enough gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

MHC-TX, the expensive more permanent route, would be to have your rifle treated with Cerakote!
The possible down side to this product is, you "may" need to have your rifle epoxy bedded again, after having this finish applied?

The inexpensive temporary route, would be Lanolin grease. This is the product that Sheep produce, to help keep their wool and themselves dry in wet weather! I use this on firearms with a conventional blued finish that I'm taking bush and will be exposed to shitty weather conditions! You need to warm the barreled action and Lanolin up and then "rub a thin layer" (Please read those last words again), on all of the metal work (With a cotton rag), prior to re-installing the barreled action, back in it's stock.
In cold conditions, the Lanolin sets like wax and helps to protect the metal from rain and salt water spray!
Remember, this wont protect the firearms bore and chamber etc, and you will need to remove the barreled action from the stock asap after you have returned from the hunt, and give it a good dry out (both stock and metal)and oil it or another Lanolin treatment!

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Homer, I tried the lanolin trick you described but the sheep wouldn't cooperate.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G'Day Fella's,

ForrestB, I'm really sorry to hear about that!
Thats really Baaaahaaaad!!!

Sorry Forrest, I couldn't help myself, I'm always doing that to New Zealanders, so it's almost second nature to me!

Regards
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!

Posts: 459 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 21 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHC-TX

If the wood gets wet it will dry out.
Metal just wipe it down every night or as needed.
Carry a walking stick for those creek crossings.
Enjoy your hunt as any marks on your gun are the character marks you will look at an instantly remember the hunt and moments of the trip. I have them on my custom engraved, stocked, 475 Turnbull 1886 that will be going up the hill on my Dall Sheep hunt in 23 days. Yep water, rain, snow, dust, the marks will always remind me of the great trips I will be and was on. Then I get to look at the past animals on the wall and photos of each one as well as the marks on my gun as I set on the hill or blind on the current hunt recalling all the fun times, great experiences that rifle lead me on!!

Take it and enjoy your trip!!

As they say, Life's to short to hunt with an ugly gun!! Any marks added will be YOUR marks and YOUR memory marks to remind you of your life experiences!

Doug

I tend to use more than enough gun.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This weekend I loaded up some 9.3x64mm with 286gr Nosler Partitions and ordered some Frog Lube Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Posts: 282 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:

Thanks for the info.

I hadn't seen that test. Now I know what to do with all my Hornady One Shot as I quit using it due to all the primer mis-fires I was getting with it.

But my final advice to MHC is that if worrying about the condition of your rifle is likely to hamper your overall enjoyment of the trip then by all means you should bring your weather proof/synthetic rifle.
But if hunting with your classic custom rifle will add to your experience, knowing that the rifle might gain a few "beauty marks" in the process, than bring it. I am sure the builder would approve.

Phil, I do believe that that one shot in the test is not the case lubricant. It is a separate gun care product.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I missed that the first time too. Its another One Shot product.
I have the Frog Lube here for my own test.
Rancid Crabtree really jumps right in when he puts his mind to something.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

Phil, I do believe that that one shot in the test is not the case lubricant. It is a separate gun care product.

I am aware of that but thought I'd give it a try anyway. At least if I spray it on my barrels it shouldn't ruin my primers. And it might work just fine. My brass has never rusted Big Grin

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
Since the 9.3×64 Brenneke is about the rarest of the rare, pics of your rifle would be great!!
I got bit by the 64 B bug several years ago. Its a great round but I don't shoot mine as much as I would like because of the rarity of brass.
Mine has killed every animal I've shot at with it with 1 shot tho. It is a great killer and very easy to shoot for a rifle in that power class.
Good luck on your hunt.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have the level of experience Phil has but have been on a fair number of Alaska foul weather hunts. I've carried walnut and blued steel for most of them and treated them with a generous coating of Johnson's paste wax on all the surfaces prior to the trips. I carry a small cleaning kit with an Otis cable and some patches along with some light gun oil. I tape the muzzle to keep the elements out until the shot and then run a lightly oiled patch through it and retape it. I've never had one rust up on me. Take the rifle you want. That's what their made for.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Cold Trigger Finger, welcome to AR. That's a very nice caribou, taken with one hell of a cartridge. I've used the 9,3X62 in Africa, and the 64 is even "more better."

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Since the 9.3×64 Brenneke is about the rarest of the rare, pics of your rifle would be great!!

CTF,

Here is a link http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/4021035202 to the rifle without the scope. It well wear a Swarovski 3-9x36mm scope in Talley mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've picked up quite a few guns from the local Indians over the years; all were great shooters but had been beaten over relatives heads and hunted hard for many years. Just knowing this gun has killed hundreds of moose and probably close to a thousand caribou over it's lifetime is enough to give me pause; and grab that gun every time I'm heading out to beat around in the woods or on the river. Karma

CTF, where you located? We're up at the end of the Taylor. I hear the caribou are on their way as normal this time of the season.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:

I am aware of that but thought I'd give it a try anyway. At least if I spray it on my barrels it shouldn't ruin my primers. And it might work just fine. My brass has never rusted Big Grin

Laughing.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote