Tools

Wet Weather Rifle Prep.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zhurh:
I've picked up quite a few guns from the local Indians over the years; all were great shooters but had been beaten over relatives heads and hunted hard for many years. Just knowing this gun has killed hundreds of moose and probably close to a thousand caribou over it's lifetime is enough to give me pause; and grab that gun every time I'm heading out to beat around in the woods or on the river. Karma

CTF, where you located? We're up at the end of the Taylor. I hear the caribou are on their way as normal this time of the season.

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I'm in Glennallen . Last I heard they " caribou" haven't gotten to Meyer's Lake/ Paxson. . I need to drive up there to check things out.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Cold Trigger Finger, welcome to AR. That's a very nice caribou, taken with one hell of a cartridge. I've used the 9,3X62 in Africa, and the 64 is even "more better."

For the performance I like the 64 . For the ease of getting brass I prefer the 62. But, a 285 gr TSX @2650 fps is a nice load and the 250 gr TTSX @2750 is kindof a really versatile load. . Enough but not too much.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Trigger Finger:
Since the 9.3×64 Brenneke is about the rarest of the rare, pics of your rifle would be great!!

CTF,

Here is a link http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/4021035202 to the rifle without the scope. It well wear a Swarovski 3-9x36mm scope in Talley mounts.

Is that the NECG express rear base with the under barrel recoil lug. . My smith didn't put an under barrel lug on mine when he built it. Then when I split the stock I had him put one on and add extra cross bolts. It hasn't had a problem since. I built mine as an Alaskan working rifle. I'm planning on putting a 3-9×42 SWFA MQ scope on mine. The rifle has the capability for going to 600 yards but I need a scope I can rely on to stay sighted in .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I had used the wood in very wet weather I always had seemed to have more trouble with the wood than with the metal. I tried waxing on the stock , and of course resealing in the barrel channel and action areas ahead of time. I could keep up more with any rust than with the wood in the field.

For the metal there are lots of good oils, but one new one is the Break Free product called " Collector ". I was turned on to it by the guys from Sinclair and it really does work well on metal.

The Wilson dies and tools don't have any surface coating on them other than some storage grease and some of them even have some small rust even when delivered as new. They have to be bare 4140 steel. In any event, a little light coat of the Collector does a good job and no rust. And none on any guns that I put it on either for that matter. It is in a small 4 oz bottle so you might look at adding some to your kit.

I think I remember seeing pictures of your great rifle before.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It gets wet around here too, and I don't fuss about the rifles much. They are all tools, even the steel and walnut ones.
Never really had a problem with a steel/walnut rifle, you just have to wipe them dry, clean and oil them each evening, the bore with a oiled patch at night, and a clean one in the morning.
I used to put vaseline on the metal work under the stock, and spar varnish in the inletting, but I don't bother anymore.

Much more trouble to me has been seeing through water beaded scope lenses, but I have QD's now.

I never knew how delicate blued steel and walnut stocks were until the internet came along; but you shouldn't listen to me perhaps, to me an old worn campaigner is an honourable thing.

Posts: 304 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MHC_TX:
quote:
Since the 9.3×64 Brenneke is about the rarest of the rare, pics of your rifle would be great!!

CTF,

Here is a link http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/4021035202 to the rifle without the scope. It well wear a Swarovski 3-9x36mm scope in Talley mounts.

Is that the NECG express rear base with the under barrel recoil lug. . My smith didn't put an under barrel lug on mine when he built it. Then when I split the stock I had him put one on and add extra cross bolts. It hasn't had a problem since. I built mine as an Alaskan working rifle. I'm planning on putting a 3-9×42 SWFA MQ scope on mine. The rifle has the capability for going to 600 yards but I need a scope I can rely on to stay sighted in .

The rear sight is one that Duane Wiebe made for the gun. Has a similar rear sight to the Brno ZG-47 that is windage adjustable.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I did take the wood gun and it seemed to get the job done (i.e., dead moose). Phil ordered up some extra rain & wind, so we could get the true Alaska experience!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Nice bull, who was your guide? Which camp did you use?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Good job Mike, was it a tough pack out?

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a blued rifle that I took on a hunt on Adak Island. I took all the precautions. I used rem oil and cleaned the gun each night.

Upon flying back to Anchorage and getting home I pulled my gun out of its case only to find it covered in rust.

The damp air actually got into the foam of my case and tapped moisture.

Use an all weather gun with a synthetic stock! It is not worth destroying your nice gun.

Posts: 4 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 September 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Abob:
Good job Mike, was it a tough pack out?

They were able to fly the Super Cub in real close - two flights later and all the meat was out. Had to pack the cape and horns 1-1/2 miles back to spike camp. We shot the bull at 4:15pm, finished skinning and loading the cub by 9:25pm - made it back to camp at 11:25pm. Had moose steak and went to bed....living right!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great. And the rifle doesn't look any the worse for the hunting it was made to do.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Both Wiebe rifles were properly, and thoroughly baptized. So were all the hunters, guides and packers.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I will comment on the practice of putting a wet, even though wiped off, gun into a foam lined case and waiting two days. Shooting geese in Upstate NY, I took my gun home and cleaned it thoroughly and put it away in the foam lined Hard case. Checked it the next day and had spots of rust starting. I assume water came out of the wood stock, don't really know. Cleaned it again and left case open to house air to dry. My buddy; left his for two days and the Plastic case, lined with faux fur, and the rifle grew together with rust. Ruined a like new 1100. Probably that Acid Rain caused by global warming in NY. We needed some "Climate Justice" back in the 1970's I guess.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
People crack me up.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Take a tool. You'll thank yourself later.

Mark

Agree with Mark on this, and will add the following. Put the following is a Ziplock bag or something like that for the guns you are taking: BoreSnake, a small container with some synthetic oil (Rem. oil is good), a small cleaning rag or two, some mini-balloons (or electrical tape) to cover the muzzle, and a short-handle screw driver with several sizes common (flat) and Phillips tips.

AND if you are bringing one of "them metric-socket guns" to Alaska, don't forget your ammo at home because you won't find it here Smiler

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Alaska:
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Take a tool. You'll thank yourself later.

Mark

Agree with Mark on this, and will add the following. Put the following is a Ziplock bag or something like that for the guns you are taking: BoreSnake, a small container with some synthetic oil (Rem. oil is good), a small cleaning rag or two, some mini-balloons (or electrical tape) to cover the muzzle, and a short-handle screw driver with several sizes common (flat) and Phillips tips.

AND if you are bringing one of "them metric-socket guns" to Alaska, don't forget your ammo at home because you won't find it here Smiler

I have a silicone cloth,small rem oil, and a boresnake with me all the time. Between the silicone cloth that gets a light dose of oil as you go it seems to keep rifles from going over the edge before the end of the season.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Depends upon you're doing an African type gentleman's hunt or spikin out.....

Personally the only prep you need is a piece of tape over the muzzle and 3 wraps on the barrel with a synthetic stock.

I've had to use my rifle butt as a crutch to keep from sliding up/down a bank and as an anchor in the snow to keep from slipping down a hill. Skiff, gear and rifle have been swamped by the Pacific, rifle has taken both fresh and saltwater dunks.

I've been on hunts where it would have been a luxury to have either the time or for that matter the energy to have to wipe down a rifle....(actually the thought would never even cross my mind)....let alone endure the wrathful eyes of a guide who asks you would you rather pack more Mountain House or that bullshit to wipe down your pussy rifle.

Nope. the last thing I want to do is have to take care of a rifle. All of your gear should be durable and no brainers. You should be able to just chunk your rifle outside your tent, wipe off the snow in the morning, eat those horrible dehydrated eggs and go.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who were you hunting with?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been on hunts where it would have been a luxury to have either the time or for that matter the energy to have to wipe down a rifle....(actually the thought would never even cross my mind)....let alone endure the wrathful eyes of a guide who asks you would you rather pack more Mountain House or that bullshit to wipe down your pussy rifle.

in the morning, eat those horrible dehydrated eggs and go.

I personally I prefer stainless syt stock rifles on hard not back to warn house or cabin at night.

Only ate MT, house eggs once first and last time they were the worse dried food I ever had.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who were you hunting with?

Learned a little bit from many different outfitters- both in Alaska and BC.

All non lodge (even the horseback) hunts are weight (actually volume) fanatics.

Brian Peterson (thankfully) took out my one change of pants and shirts, left the one change of long johns and over half my socks in lieu of MH for a 10 day walkabout. (all you need is 2/3 pairs of socks- one to wear, the other 2 will dry out in your sleeping bag during rotation)

The funniest though (non weight related) was a German guy in BC (moose hunt) who was very quirky and "noise" sensitive. He absolutely hated plastic buckles. He'd turn around and glare at you if your gear made any noise while walking. To this day I only wear natural fiber clothing (mainly wool and cotton where appropriate) and avoid the whoosh whoosh of the synthetics.

On my next bear hunt I plan on dressing like a guide- loden wool pants and Carhart vest & hoodie. The only cammo will be my HH Impertechs. No "poser" Sitka/Kuiu bullshit with matching underwear......

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1433 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,t under estimate the effectiveness of matching underwear.. There was a red pair of briefs in the last 3 pack of shorts that I bought, I think I look rather suave when I wear the red pair over my jeans, to match a red t-shirt!

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'de probably be reminding some guides who was doing the paying for the hunt.