Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bears Arn,t Elephants
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gumboot,

When you make that video, let me know and I will fly up to Juneau and help you out with it. I'll bring up my sprinfield 1911. It's guaranteed to jam once every clip or so Big Grin
Seriously though, I know what you mean about the 1911's being finicky. I have owned several of various makes and the only ones that I have not had problems stovepiping were kimbers. Think it had something to do with the feedramp. BTW, I have never seen a glock jam either. stir

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I,m going to do a music video someday . It will be called the Jam ..It will feature every 1911 that I can borrow......I probably won,t have to use very many to get enough footage for a 10 min. They are grossly over priced and generaly un reliable ....How many grand have you dumped into one ??

I own a GLock, and a Springfield 1911. I've had the same number of malfunctions with both of them....0. I've had the same number of stovepipes with both....0, however, my Glock has had several fail to feed while the Springfield eats whatever is in the magazine. Most malfunctions in 1911 are from the magazines, not the firearms.

You're still full of shit, and by the way, the FBI HRT does use Springfield 1911 as their weapon of choice.

MG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does the 1911 have to do with elephants ..And what does a dance queen know about Brown bears ??

if there were sasquaches , some miner would have a recipe for them

Posts: 40 | Location: sheltered from the north wind | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while were on the subject, does anybody torture test 1911's ? I mean like the ptooma productions; complete glock reference guide torture tests. 15 minutes in a cement mixer full of gravel, rinse it off, fire 100rds no malfunctions, no replaced parts. not their only test either.
and failure to feed sounds like a 40 cal. turnicated cone bullets cause problems in general. next time buy a 9mm
and if you want a really good bear gun get a 416rem with 22 or shorter bbl. the recoil is about like a 375 but they hit a lot harder. when you shoot deer with them leaves a hole about size of a coffee cup strait thru but dosnt bloodshot much meat, the deer will sometimes run about 30 yds, but the bears Ive shot were dead when they hit the ground

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Madgoat

quote:
Most malfunctions in 1911 are from the magazines, not the firearms.

I guess I will have to replace my wilson combat mags and see if that cures the problem Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molar1:
Originally posted by Madgoat

quote:
Most malfunctions in 1911 are from the magazines, not the firearms.

I guess I will have to replace my wilson combat mags and see if that cures the problem Roll Eyes

You had better at least change the springs at regular intervals. I use Wilson mags, and have had no problems but I change my springs every 2500 rounds.

quote:
And what does a dance queen know about Brown bears ??

More than you probably do...

MG

one of us
posted Hide Post
"what does a dance queen know about bears: more than you probably do"

nice come back!! thumb

I'm holding out for "I know you are but what am I" and "nana nana boo boo"

I'm sure those are sure to come.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
So dance queen ,,, what do you know about brown bears.........How many years experience do you have in close proximity with the worlds largest meat eaters...and who are your refrences...........And thank you for illuminateing my point about 1911 pistols...Put LOTS of money into them and IF thats a big if you are luck they won,t fail.....I never replaced any thing on my glock 19 execpt the front sight........

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
So dance queen ,,, what do you know about brown bears.........How many years experience do you have in close proximity with the worlds largest meat eaters...and who are your refrences...........And thank you for illuminateing my point about 1911 pistols...Put LOTS of money into them and IF thats a big if you are luck they won,t fail.....I never replaced any thing on my glock 19 execpt the front sight........

I know I used to trap them for the IGBST...been in this country my whole life. We don't have the "brown bear" variety, but our grizzlys are just the same. When did you decide to move to ALaska from Arkansas?

Good luck with your 19...I've got a 22C. Great gun, but I prefer a 1911. Pretty tough talk from someone who shoots a 9mm.... banana

MG

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
D.q. what is the IGBST ???????????? There was a news thing on yahoo I think it was,, about a woman,s brassier strap stopping a 45 ACP slug... animal Eeker..I,m sure she was thank ful the miscreant used a 45 ACP.............I watched a doctor pull a black talon 45 ACP slug from a guys head .on a real time E R Trauma tv show... wave The bullet had entered near his eye and had stopped in side ... It must have been tired .....................The man sat there talking the whole time and as I remember was very mad at the guy who shot him ....I would venture a guess that the 9 mm para has killed twice as many people as has a 45 ACP .. My wife prefers the 9 and so do I...........Statistically the 357 sig or 40 s&w would be better ,but I,m quite happy with the 9........ clap But this thread isn,t about shooting people .It is about illuminating peoples minds to the difference between shooting Brown bear in a trophy hunting setting and shooting a Pacaderm....And trying to show the unlearned masses ,, or at least any one who would read it....That the lesser recoiling light for caliber 40 cal. and up super premium expanding bullets, kill brown bear as fast or faster than a standard weight bullet travelling at a slower velocity...................... Roll Eyes[ Example] Almost everyone would agree that a 458 win mag recoils ,to the detriment of accurate shooting , more than a 375 H&H..... However If you load a Barnes 300 gr .458 dia X FB bullet to around 2700 fps which it will easily do... It recoils the same ... However when you wack a bear just under the chin with that bullet... it is still a 458 dia bullet ....with all the inhanced shocking ability of a 458 dia bullet...It doesn,t recoil too much ,and it is a perfact load for a 200 yrd zero which will put about 2 1/2 " high at 100 yrds and about 1 foot low at 300 yrds. Where as a 500 gr round nose bullet is about 20 " low.at 300 yrds...The 411-423 diameter bullets have an even flatter trajectory and more retained energy due to their better BC... And yet the 300 gr 458 bullet @ high speed has exited all the bears I shot with it and the wound channel is about the size of my fist..................That is the long awaited for explanation of my statement Brown Bears arn,t Elephants..........

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But this thread isn,t about shooting people .It is about illuminating peoples minds to the difference between shooting Brown bear in a trophy hunting setting and shooting a Pacaderm....And trying to show the unlearned masses ,, or at least any one who would read it....

So how many elephants have you blasted gum? Care to enlighten the "unlearned masses" animal Are you refering to yourself on this one?

As far as your dumb question is concerned, you've obviously got yahoo...don't you know how to use it? Confused

MG

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I know nothing about hunting brown bears or elephants. But this thread reminded me of an old Dave Embry hunting video I watched about 12-15 years ago. I'll never forget it.

He was in Alaska hunting brown bears with a 416 (I think Rem. Mag.) I just remember him saying 416 several times.

There were 2 browns on a sand bar about 50 yards across the water from him which didn't appear deep at all. He had all the time in the world as he and his guide were tucked behind the ground in a small ditch. He steadied the rifle, and punched the bear square in the shoulder and it fell like a crane fell on it. No movement whatsoever.....the second bear smelled it and walked off quickly.

Mr. Embry proceeded to turn his back to the bear and face the camera and began to talk. After about 25 seconds, the bear stood up and looked in their direction as it could hear them.

The cameraman and guide said, "He's up! He's up! Shoot him again!!!"

The bear was starting to move and Embry shot it again, and the guide did too. It fell again and this time it was dead.

50 yards, 416 caliber, perfect shot placement (the viewers later saw that all 3 bullets exited).

Made me wonder if the 416 was enough gun at the time.

This is my take: if I brown bear hunt, I'm taking the largest cal rifle I can shoot over and over. If I shoot one, I'm going to keep shooting it as long as I have opportunity, then I'm going to reload.

Brown bear hunting is something I'm very interested in doing but I would most likely purchase a 338RUM or larger and practice for a year or so before I booked the hunt.

What is the opinion on the 375RUM? Anyone? How does it compare to the 375H&H?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the 338 Win with 250 Partitions, X's, Swifts, North Forks or Kodiaks is well nigh the perfect rifle for a Brown bear hunter. there is no substitute for hitting them correctly and, like any dangerous game, quickly putting in a second insurance round.
The 35's, 9.3's and 375's are also great.
In my experience- virtualy everyone I have seen using the bigger, faster magnums do not do as well as those using more moderate - sensable rounds.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
This year when I was decideing which long action caliber to build on a cz 550 saf mag action .The choices I ended up with were 375 RUM or 416 Rem Mag...I went with the 416 , for 2 main reasons...1, prior experience and execelent reputation ...2, The ability to make brass that would work from just about anything long and belted.................The 416 also beats the RUM out at close range velocity but looses out slightly at around 200 yrds....the trajectory difference at 400 yrds is around 1 " Plus I get the velocity from a 22 " barrel with book loads...., Some day I will probably have a 375 RUM built because it is such an execellent round........The 338 RUM is great and more genral purpose than the larger calibers,..... According to most peoples way of thinking......I had one ,did alot of loading for it,, shot some deer with it .. In the Rem 700 stainless synth. rifle it is an, easy do it all well rifle that is also Great at long range... The factory Rem 250 gr Swift bullet ammo chronographs as fast as it says on the box and shot around an inch in my rifle ..............Being a rifle looney I no longer have it as some other project caught my eye.......... And anyone that doesn,t shoot a bear at least twice ..IMO has brown stinky stuff instead of brains .. Ya don,t want to fool around being all cool for the camera with a bear .. brown , black or white.....

One of Us
Picture of medium
posted Hide Post
I know I used to trap them for the IGBST...been in this country my whole life. We don't have the "brown bear" variety, but our grizzlys are just the same. MG[/QUOTE]

MG,

I'm not trying to split hairs here but, I would have to disagree with your statement that Montana Grizzlies are just the same as an Alaskan Coastal Brown bear. There is a significant difference in size.

medium

NRA Life Member

Posts: 136 | Location: Seward, Alaska | Registered: 11 April 2004Reply With Quote