THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Recommend on bear spray/repellant..

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend on bear spray/repellant..
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Plan on motorcycle camping/fishing my way up to AK and back this summer on my R1100GS. Lots of backwoods riding and exploring into bike trail places. Since dragging a gun through Canada is a big nono, looking for advice on what seems to be the most effective spray out there.
I will have the small tent and it isn't big enough for two of us especailly if one is a bear.

thanks for the help

Posts: 624 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 07 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate to tell you this, but you also better rethink your bear spray aquisition. The Canadians are picky about anything that might be construed as an offensive weapon. Several brands of bear spray that are sold in the US have ingredients that aren't allowed in Canadian brands. So, to be safe and minimize your hassle at the border, pick up your bear spray in Canada.

Mostly, concentrate on keeping a clean camp and the bears will behave themselves . . . except for when they don't :-)

All skill is in vain when a demon pisses on your gunpowder.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly, concentrate on keeping a clean camp and the bears will behave themselves . . . except for when they don't :-)

In which case a *very* stern talking to might help. Maybe. Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Lawcop,
Used to live in Alaska, been around lots of bear, black, brown, white, grey, huge ones, small ones, etc. and always treated each and every one as a severe threat to me and gave them the greatest respect. Forget bear spray, stay away from the bears and would urge that you travel right on through Canada and on the "highway" use a motel, plenty of places to stay with a little planning, and as soon as you pass through Tok, frontier/U.S. border town, find you a suitable firearm for travelling in bear country. If you can borrow one, so much the better, but would not travel and camp without adequate protetion from bears. Black bears are most unpredictable and can be very lethal to say the least and give none of them an advanatage or invitation to do you harm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeeze, you'd think everyone is talking about man eating lions or something. Take normal and accepted precautions around the bears and you will "probably" be fine. You don't have to stay in a hotel to be safe, rubbish to say the least. I hike in bear country all the time-mostly unarmed, this is for both blacks and Grizzlies. The chances of running into real trouble is very slight-although we all know that it does happen. I've taken to carrying bear spray lately, because the wife feels better when I go out. I've heard conflicting results from people who actually use it, so don't rely on it to save your ass. Keep a clean camp instead. Don't pass "right on through Canada" it's a nice place!! Stay awhile and enjoy us and our country, you'll be well received. If you pass through Calgary and need a place to lay your head down for a night or two, you can stay here. Shoot me a pm We'll set ya up.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Calgarychef1,
Well, let's see now, you seem to be covering your ass with phrases like "probably, chances of running into real trouble very slight-although we know it happens, don't rely on it to save your ass, etc." and I would strongly urge you to take a strong look at the word rubbish. You described it to a "tee" with your remarks.
I hunted the bear a great deal while in Alaska and had the crap scared out of me frequently when by myself or with a fellow hunter and can tell you absolutely you might as well piss in the wind if you think bear spary is going to keep you from being eaten alive. Yes, alive, for they frequently do not kill the animal prior to devouring it. Aint a pretty sight.
No, I would not stay in Canada, but pass on through as quickly as possible in order to spend as little money as possible with you folks. You made a genrous offer for the fellow to visit with you and sure you are a fine person, but until Canada wakes up and realizes that their "neighbor" to the south is needed to survive in this world and decide to support us as a neighbor should, you are on your own. Perhaps the RCMP should have used bear spray on those Islamic idiots in Toronto yesterday. Three tons of ANFO (ammonium nitrate and fuel oil) found plus detonation devices, etc. That volume of gas at high velocity will do a great deal of damage and take out about any building in Toronto or elesewhere for that matter. Hopefully your new convservative leaders will turn Canada around, but from my experience, not likely. Forget the "spray" and get yourself a big gun and hope you do not have to use it, but can assure you it is the only thing that will save you from bear attack. There is no "political correctness" in the bush even while in Canada.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calgarychef1:
Jeeze, you'd think everyone is talking about man eating lions or something. Take normal and accepted precautions around the bears and you will "probably" be fine. You don't have to stay in a hotel to be safe, rubbish to say the least. I hike in bear country all the time-mostly unarmed, this is for both blacks and Grizzlies. The chances of running into real trouble is very slight-although we all know that it does happen. I've taken to carrying bear spray lately, because the wife feels better when I go out. I've heard conflicting results from people who actually use it, so don't rely on it to save your ass. Keep a clean camp instead. Don't pass "right on through Canada" it's a nice place!! Stay awhile and enjoy us and our country, you'll be well received. If you pass through Calgary and need a place to lay your head down for a night or two, you can stay here. Shoot me a pm We'll set ya up.

the chef

THANKS for the offer..

Just to give a little background, I spent all my formative mispent youth spending the summers in Northern Ontario... Chapleau being ground zero... seeing how lost I could get in a canoe or with a float plane. Used to float fly a lot out of New Liskard into the roadless NW areas. So, I have a little experience with black bears and have found them to be extremely willng to vacate the premises when they know you are around. I have spent a lot of time on the ground in a tent and the most dangerous thing has been the moose almost stepping on the tent more than bear being a problem. (that is what I got for being dropped into an unknown/untried lake for an outfitter I knew who said he would fly me free if I would try out the lake. Gotta believe the moose' human exposure had been lacking until he tripped on my tent tie down.) The only time I ever had an issue with a BB was a small(200-250#) one I came across while moose hunting and it was on a dead moose. Gave a sharp bluff charge but stopped before he crossed the magic line. I was carrying my .375H&H so I let him make his own decision about stopping distance. But basically all I ever see is the South end of Northbound bears if I see them at all.

I just don't want to share my small pack tent with one if I don't have to.

AND
I agree with you on the enjoy Canada issue. It is my favorite place to take bush vacations. I haveeven done most of them on the R1100GS. The only provinces I haven't made yet are the Yukon/NW Territory and whatever the new one is in that part of the world. But, Alaska on a cycle is one of those things I have always thought about doing and to coin a phrase.. I ain't gett'n any younger..

NEVER fear the night. Fear what hunts IN the night.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
laws are there to serve you not the other way round. damn the laws when you are weeks in the forests! if my life "might" be on the line i wont be so prissey with the laws. i have carried a glock in my fanny pack for mountain lions irregardless of law and i would do the same in canada. get a ruger alaskan in 454 cassul or 480 ruger and keep yer mouth shut. i wont tell no one and id rather be caught with a gun than be "caught" without one.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
LC, sounds like a good trip on a bike. You obviously will enjoy the ride. You know the odds of a attack and a bluff and just a curious approach with them bears. I would rather have a axe in my hands than some pepper spray but that is just me or maybe a big peice of oak. Beat him to death.Smiler Give us a holler when you make it thru.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey driver you obviously "know it all" but I guess I still have to point it out to you.
Yea I did cover my ass about the bear thing, most encounters are scary but end up well. There are few attacks compared to the number of man/bear encounters. So obviously the vast majority of encounters aren't to be worried about. I've been close enough to smell bears and not see them, yea that's damned scary. Some people would call that a life and death situation-I don't.

As far as your blather about terrorists in Canada. We caught the terrorists before something happened....too bad your guys didn't do the same before the Oklahoma thingy, or for that matter the Trade Center. I'm glad we did catch the bastards, and I'm saddened every time something bad happens anywhere in the world to innocent bystanders. Including in your country. It's sad how many Americans have your attitude when your country is no better than ours in these regards.

You sir are an absolute ass, end of discussion.

sheesh

the chef

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by driver:
No, I would not stay in Canada, but pass on through as quickly as possible in order to spend as little money as possible with you folks. You made a genrous offer for the fellow to visit with you and sure you are a fine person, but until Canada wakes up and realizes that their "neighbor" to the south is needed to survive in this world and decide to support us as a neighbor should, you are on your own. Perhaps the RCMP should have used bear spray on those Islamic idiots in Toronto yesterday. Three tons of ANFO (ammonium nitrate and fuel oil) found plus detonation devices, etc. That volume of gas at high velocity will do a great deal of damage and take out about any building in Toronto or elesewhere for that matter. Hopefully your new convservative leaders will turn Canada around, but from my experience, not likely. Forget the "spray" and get yourself a big gun and hope you do not have to use it, but can assure you it is the only thing that will save you from bear attack. There is no "political correctness" in the bush even while in Canada.

HAD NO intent of having this turn into a geopolitical argument,
BUT
if I may say something about out neighbors to the North, they could have said the same thing for several years of WWI and WWII about the US. In case you didn't notice, the English AND Canada were involved in both of those little incidents long before the United States got into them and both those countries were, are and clearly have been some of our staunchest friends at any time since the war of 1812 ended. Under your mindset we should have been in WWI long before we did and WWII looonnggg before Dec. 7, 1941.

I have CANADIAN friends who I have hunted with for years who are RCMPs, CNR employees, and just plain other folks who are some of the nicest people on the planet who have a strange view of their own govt also.
If the Candians don't want to patrol the street of Iraq, it certainly doesn't make them enemies, it doesn't make them bad, or anything else, except a country that doesn't want to play war for a while. To tell you the truth, I don't want only friends who agree with everything I do, there is no one to tell me I might be doing something dumb.

I can hardly wait until they become the 51st, 52nd, 53rd and 54th states.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
you could wear "bear bells" kinda like jingle bells to alert bears of your presence so it is not startled and attacks. it also could double as a dinner bell if it is just hungry or does not like your smell.

Posts: 27600 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
http://www.macecanada.com/canada/product/bearbells.htm

from the beb site

One of the biggest dangers when traveling in bear country is to unexpectedly have a close encounter with a bear that did not hear you approach and may attack if it feels threatened.

These bear bells quickly and easily fasten to your belt or backpack with velcro and make a constant jingling noise which will help alert big game to your approach. Each unit has one 1.5" bell for a distinct ring. (1) 1.5" bell with velcro attachment per order. Assorted Colors

One of Us
posted Hide Post
LOWCOP: do a Google search of "Bicycling Alaska," and get information only from Alaska sites. Ask questions such as clothing, bear safety and such. Sometimes the weather changes fast. For example, around Fairbanks it has been around 60-70 degrees lately, but tonight the temperature is supposed to leave a heavy frost on the ground.

Now, joggers get mauled quite often around Anchorage. I don't know the reason why, but be aware of that (maybe because they wear tights that look like Spin-N-Glow? JUST KIDDING!).

I personally prefer a firearm to bear repellent. At close range a .45-70, or even a short-barreled shotgun loaded with slugs may be much better than a revolver. If you are going to ride through National and some other "Parks," forget about guns. Keep in mind that bear repellents freeze when it gets cold, and that a strong wind against you will make you tastier to the bear Smiler

If you are going to ride the roads, then you may see quite a few people riding, not everywhere (this is a huge State), but every now and then. I see folks from all around the world on the road.

For information on bear/human confrontations in Alaska for the past 100 years, and also for bear safety, and finally bear repellent studies in Alaska, here is the place for you (scroll down the page to "Other Subjects of Interest"):
http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/brownbears/brownbears.htm

Please don't be too scared of bears, just cautious. And don't believe for a minute that a bear won't come to a clean campsite. Bears, just like other animals are unpredictable. Again, there are bicycling clubs as well as individual bicycling web sites in Alaska. Some are folks who do what you do, and can give you lots of free advise on what they do.

This one is not from Alaska, but it has some information you may want to know:
http://www.cyclingaroundtheworld.nl/alaska/ie_alaska.htm

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NOT BIcycling, but MOTORcycling.
So space is at a premium and as stated, dragging a suitable firearm through Canada just won't fly, so I am left looking to other options.

Quite honestly I have been fascinated by bears all my life and have probably 20 books on them in my outdoor library.
I live in Northern Michigan and there are bears all around the area and yet they are almost impossible to find on purpose without bait or dogs.
Haven't had much exposure to the bigger bears on my camp trips out West.
Just lookng to hedge my bets.
thanks for the web sites.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
you could wear "bear bells" kinda like jingle bells to alert bears of your presence so it is not startled and attacks. it also could double as a dinner bell if it is just hungry or does not like your smell.

I USED to room with a guy who was the City Managaer for Ft. Yukon AK. He said the Sierra Clubers used to "get filleted quite regularly" by the Park bears because it seems they figured out the bells meant people with packs and in the packs the bear would find food, since the thinking at the time was to leave the pack for the bear as you made your get away.
Those who didn't drop their packs got swatted.
He said another amazing thing was the lack of news reporting that didn't appear about the incidents since they figured out bear attacks were bad for tourism. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LAWCOP:
NOT BIcycling, but MOTORcycling.
So space is at a premium and as stated, dragging a suitable firearm through Canada just won't fly, so I am left looking to other options.

Quite honestly I have been fascinated by bears all my life and have probably 20 books on them in my outdoor library.
I live in Northern Michigan and there are bears all around the area and yet they are almost impossible to find on purpose without bait or dogs.
Haven't had much exposure to the bigger bears on my camp trips out West.
Just lookng to hedge my bets.
thanks for the web sites.

Sorry about the "bicycling thing." If your are using a motor bike, there are lots of web sites relating to that, since motor biking is very popular here, just a bicycling. In fact, I saw several web sites relating to motor-biking Alaska on the Internet. This year it should be more popular than it has even been, because of the high cost of fuel.

You will also need bug spray off the road when you stop riding, so have a can with you, and buy more locally as you need it.

Again, the information is available for you on the Internet.
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=mot...ka&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I'd say hit the first sporting good store when you cross the AK border and get a big can of whatever they sell. As mentioned, you won't be able to bring spray through Canada.

Not sure if there is a store in Tok that would have pepper spray, but there is a sporting good store in Glenallen that should.

I'd be much more concerned about some bonehead passing an RV on a blind turn occupying your road space then a bear encounter, but I understand your concern.

Be careful out there, our roads often leave something to be desired, as well as our drivers.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote