Notify
Tools

Red Stag Camp 2012
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Hi everyone,

As some of you know ever year I spent around 10 or 12 days hunting red stags in la Pampa area in Argentina.

This year the roar is pretty tricky, much scarce that previous years. Less femals around, maybe the good rains they have had, have spread them around because of better pastures.

The quality of the trophies was not so good as last year but the stalks as always where amazing. The big ones are there, but sometimes one just can not connect them. One of the chaps at camp shot a really good one, an old "12", long and thick !!

Nothing more enjoyable that following a red stag by the roaring in thick thornbush.

I took my 30-06 and the double in 9,3x74, I missed a good "16" with the double on day one and put it back in the box for the rest of the hunt....nothing like my trusted ol'30-06 for serious deer hunting !!!

The dinning tent

A wild boar sow I hunted for dinner..

The gun tent

A good "11"

An old "forever 10"

A nice "13"

Nothing like a deer camp fire at night. A nice moment to meet new people, share stories and talk about guns.

Not the fancy facilities of the international hunting properties but more than enough for spending some days at the bush. Toilet and shower...

The last sunset....something to remember till next year camp !!

Sorry about the poor report, english is not my native language so it's a little difficult for me to explain with details the emotions of every stalk !!!

I used Hornady Custom ammo with 180 grains interlock bullets. The rifle is my custom mauser obendorf in 30-06 with a S&B Zenith scope 3-12x50 with flash dot illuminated reticle.

So I ended shooting three stags, the 11, the 10 and the 13, and a pig sow for the parrilla.

I will post some more pictures later.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent....looks highly enjoyable.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice stags congratulations.

Posts: 2540 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Great hunt Lorenzo! Those photos bring back many fond memories.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice pics and report.....

Posts: 444 | Location: Hudson Valley | Registered: 07 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you had a great time.

DRSS

Posts: 625 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo
I waiting every year for your Argentine hunting Report. I really love you reports. You got some nice stags. One day i will fly over there...Thanks for shareing

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Nice Stags
looks like a good time

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the report, looks like a great time.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo - Very cool! Reminds me of deer camp when I was a kid, congrats.

Now's it Colorado this fall, and a big Rocky Mtn. bull elk.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, don't sweat the language thing, the photos are doing a lot of talking to me.

Excellent!!! tu2

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Yeah!!! Now it's time to start dreamimg with that elk hunt !!! The african DVD's finally arrived.
Thanks !!!!!

John,

Thanks, but posting side by side with Greg Brownlee it's a little embarassing for me Big Grin

The quality of his reports, pictures and trophies are outstanding !! His moose hunt report must be the best report I have ever read in the Forum !!

Regards
Lorenzo

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very Nice as usual!! Congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Nice report, looks like a great time was had.

~Ann

Posts: 19172 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My great amigo ... bravo !!! Once again you have had a fabulous time in wonderful Argentina. You once told me that I should spend, every year, two months in Namibia, one month in Argentina,and a weekend in Uruguay (but phone ahead !).. Ha! Ha! I reckon that Margaret and I will be doing the weekend a bit later this year. It has been too long !!! Cheers !

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
That looks like a ton of fun! Gotta do that one day.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dukxdog
posted Hide Post
Looks like a fun camp!

GOA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member
Life Member Dallas Safari Club
Westley Richards 450 NE 3 1/4"

Posts: 864 | Location: Idaho/Wyoming/South Dakota | Registered: 08 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Well done Lorenzo!!!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well done, Lorenzo? Those are really nice stags!!!! Hope you have had wonderful hunting days in La Pampa!

Best regards,
Carlos

Regards,
Bharal76

Posts: 136 | Location: Madrid - Spain | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo, looks like a fantastic time! Thanks for sharing the hunt report

Drummond

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo...fine hunt... clap I did not get a stag on my hunt, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Hunting them free range through the thick bush while they roar is exciting. Next year!! Some times it seemed the stag was only abut 10-15 meters away but could not even see a piece of hide.

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505 gibbs
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
I have been hoping to see another report since the one you posted last year. You always shoot some awesome stags,congrats.

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
shockerCongratulations Lorenzo !!!, tu2 where You will hide those antlers from Your wife's view? lol Me and "the Gringo" hilbily were not so lucky CRYBABY but my son toke a nice simetric 6x6 first day, that bring Us the biggest joy....Guille

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great report and great pictures. Congratulations.
You captured everything with the camera that needed to be said.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Maximus Brutus
posted Hide Post
Fabulous. Nice stags, especially the 13 Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmann's Heil Lorenzo! Qué tal está dando tu perillo de sangre?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Great! Some nice bulls! Watching Danubio/Wanderers futbol right now. It's 62 degrees F in Montevideo and everyone is wearing jackets and hats. Here in Montana at 62F we wear shorts and t-shirts!

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote