Find
Notify
Tools

Free Range Red Stag in Patagonia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
My wife and I just returned from Patagonia where I hunted Red Stag free range. It was a very enjoyable hunt on a large unfenced ranch in Patagonia.

The report is quite long, so I divided it into two parts.

Part One - This part is the arrival and the first 3 hunting days

Part Two - This is the last 2 hunting days, photos of accommodations, food, dogs, and other stuff.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great report, thanks for sharing.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Wendell. I've been looking forward to the report. It sounds like there are a couple of excellent choices...Argentina or New Zealand. How about a buy 1 get 1 free deal? dancing And then there's Scotland to consider...

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and excellent photos. The country looks quite open. I assume the bottoms of the draws are brushier?

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
In areas that had springs, there was cover, grass trees, or brush, but it was mostly open on the hillsides and draws.

The rolling terrain allowed for stalks and the lack of cover made the spotting a bit easier.

When the wind picked up, we saw almost nothing, proving that they can hide in that type of country.

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Amazing how they maximize what cover is available.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
Nice trophies Wendell. Glad to hear you and the wife had a good time, regardless of the weather. I look forward to hearing about it. By the way; the Mouflon was outstanding! We grilled some tonight and it rivals the finest venison. Don't know what gives the animals on your ranch a great taste but you should find out and bottle it.
Cheers,
David

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
Great hunting. I was there just before you. Tell me more about where you were hunting.

Any game available on your pklacxes here this next month?

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great hunt and adventure in Argentina, Wendell! Nice fallow and stag for the tough hunting conditions you had... and great pictures to accompany the story. Well done.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7522 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wendell!! What a "hoss"!!

It looks like y'all had a great hunt all around!!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RobinOLocksley
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures and great animals.Looks so mythical that landscape.Thanks for sharing.

Best-
Locksley,R

"Early in the morning, at break of day, in all the freshness and dawn of one's strength, to read a book - I call that vicious!"- Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 784 | Location: Sherwood Forest | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Very nice report Wendell! Looks like ya'll had a good time!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good report and nice animal. As you stated, the Roar was over, Was this by choice or just making the hunt time fit you schedule?

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
A hunt during the roar is always a treat. I have Stag on my ranch and I never get tired of hearing them roar.

I made the decision to hunt with them after most roar spots were booked, and I wanted to use miles to sit in the big seat in the front of the plane. American Air would not cooperate, on the roar dates that werer available, so these were the dates we got. They were not bad dates.

The very unusual weather was the only handicap. They got more rain while I was there than they did all of last year. fishing

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billinthewild:
Great hunting. I was there just before you. Tell me more about where you were hunting.

I was in Patagonia, about 1000 miles south of Buenos Aires. Neuquen province. About 1 1/2 hour from San Carlos de Bariloche. You can see the Andes in most of the photos.

The elevation was only about 3000 ft.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a great time...wet, but great!

I notice that most folks borrow guns while there, is it possible to bring your own?

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ahmed Sultan
posted Hide Post
Very nice report and pics, it seems you had a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Ahmed Sultan

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McCray:
I notice that most folks borrow guns while there, is it possible to bring your own?

Yes, it is not difficult. A gun form that you downlaod off the net, and $100. You get the license when you get there.

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
Great report Wendell. Beautiful looking country.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Report and Nice Pics
What was the Waight of the Red Deer Skull ?!

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mboga biga bwana:
What was the Waight of the Red Deer Skull ?!
Seloushunter

I do not know. I think the only guys who weigh the skull are Europeans. I have never seen this method used anywhere else in the world.

It is a good and accurate way to judge what a deer has grown though, like the displacement method.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool man, looks like a helluva good time. Never seen those Pere David Deer before. I wonder if there is a mounted trophy in existance. Maybe in another hundred years they will be on the hunt list if the management is done right.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GVG, you can hunt pere david deer in the UK today, but only in fenced estates. I don't believe this species will ever roam wild again.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
They hunt them now and have been for a few years, not sure how many.

I know of a couple of ranches in Texas where they are hunted as well.

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted Hide Post
Really! Huh? I didn't even know about these until yesterday. It would be a shame to never be able to see these in the wild again though.

Is it wrong to imagine a world after the fall of man where all these animals thrive? Not that I want to leave this world mind you, but I do feel guilt for the losses we have already been responsible for. Maybe that's my inner native talking. Wink

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote