Find
Notify
Tools

Please define "military calibers"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted
This is more out of curiosity than anything else brought about by reading the thread on the International Rifle

In the countries that forbid the use of military calibers; are obsolete military calibers banned or just those commonly in use today?

Ex of obsolete military calibers:
6.5 Carcano, 6.5 Swede , 7x57, 8x57, .45-70, .30-40 Krag, .30-06.

ex of currently used military calibers:
5.56x45(.223 Rem), 7.62x51 (.308 Win.), 7.62x39, 7.62x54R

Or more simplistically; is a caliber forbidden if a cartridge was ever chambered in a military arm?

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
If it was officially adopted by some military.
Not if it was ever chambered in a military arm.
example: US Army marksmen team chambers rifle for 300 Win mag not for war time use, but for long range targets. The 300 win mag is not banned.
But you might wonder on how far back they will go on their list.
45-70? 50-70? To make sure, you would have to contact the country that you might want to visit and ask for an inclusive list if they have one.
This is probably one of those laws that only affect law abiding citizens.
I hate stupid politicians. Always making rules that mess with the people who don't need to be messed with.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I will have to check to be certain but I believe in France it has to do with before and after a certain date (which I think is 1873). For instance, the 45-70 is legal to hunt with but the 30 Krag is not. It is not really a question of obsolete under French legislation but whether it was used by a military organization after that date. Basically it means that it would have to have been a military cartridge which survived the transition to smokeless powder for it to be legal to hunt with today. Anything invented or adopted since 1873 by an army or a police will be a controlled caliber and illegal to hunt with.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read about "bans on military calibers" in Central and South America, they seem to focus on banning ammunition used by militaries or paramilitaries in that region. Like 9mm Luger and 45 Auto are banned, but 45 Colt is not, even though it was conceived as a martial cartridge elsewhere and long ago.

sputster

Posts: 759 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no universal rule of thumb, but bear in mind that Adolf Hitler's father was a minor customs official. I'd rather breeze through the airport with a 7x64 than lose precious field time arguing fine points of firearm law in a foreign language.

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard