Find
Notify
Tools

Gaur Hunting [Bos frontalis]
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bulldog !!! I shall order one !!! beer

Posts: 1535 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of billrquimby
posted Hide Post
If you want to know more about hunting the world's wild oxen I suggest you try to find some of these books by my friend Capt. John Brandt:

"The Asian Hunter"
"Malaya: Hunting the Seladang"
"The Wild Cattle of the World"
"Hunting: Southeast Asia and Indo-China"

John wrote other books that may be of interest, too. As far as I know, no contemporary hunting author has written more extensively on southeast Asia and Indo-China than John.

All of his titles have been out of print for some time, but collectible hunting book dealers such as Trophy Room Books, Safari Press, etc. may be able to find copies for you. They're well worth the effort to search them out.

Bill Quimby

Posts: 2633 | Location: tucson and greer arizona | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Having posted some blackbuck photos on a Gaur thread, I will make amends by posting these gaur photos from January this year.

More gaur photos and Indian wildlife photos

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
feel free to post as the conversation needs, regardless of what species. I loved all of the pictures.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackbuck were never extinct in India - there have been preserves dedicaated to them all over the country including the Adyar Wildlife Sanctuary in my former hometown of Madras/Chennai, Point Calimere etc. Their numbers have dwindled as have numbers of all wildlife in India over the years. When forest cover is reduced from 40% to about 3% of a country's area in about 60 years, you cannot expect better...

Gaur were a common sight until the late 80s in several aprts of the country including the Palani and Shevaroy Hills. We used to own a property in Kodaikanal and I have seen them in the wild over there, at Top Slip, Thekkady etc. Their numbers were severely reduced by an outbreak of rinderpest some years ago and have never really recovered.

The one deer which was successfully reintroduced into Asia was in China - Pere David's deer from the Duke of Bedford's private zoo. There are also programs for the Arabian Oryx though others would know better about them as none of these affect India or countries in that region.

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote