Find
Notify
Tools

Ibex Hunt In Mongolia
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Has anyone hunte with Juulchin in Mongolia for the combo Altai and Gobi Ibex hunts? Looks very reasonable, $8200 including hotels and airfare plus two days in Bejing. The guy in the Juulchin booth at the FNAWS show in San Antonio said success is 100% if you can shoot to 250 meters. Should be an interesting hunt, but what about accomodations, food, weather etc.?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't hunted with a guide in Mongolia but have lived, worked and travelled on my own there.

It's a great country, great scenery, the Mongolians are very smart people and really interested in foreigners and foreign countries, especially those in rural areas. A map to show where you live (prob less an issue if your from the US) and some postcards or similar from home are useful for the kids.

Ulaan Baatur is good fun, lots of good restaurants - German, indian, Chinese, Korean, St American and worth staying a couple of days - the Bayaongol Hotel is of very good standard, much cheaper than the Ghegis Kahn and much better standard than the Ulaan Baatur. If you are not travelling with your family the bayangol bar is worth a visit after 10pm, just for the experience.

Outside the capital, the food is truly appalling, think boiled goat, mutton or horse with virtually no veg. Your outfitter may have this side of thing well catered for - I carried some US Army MRE's and really enjoyed them on countryside trips, which shows how bad the food is.

I hunted a bit (unofficially) with guys who guide for maral stags. These guys simply could not understand why American hunters would pass up a stag to look for a bigger one - there is no tradition of trophy hunting - game is just seen as food. Again, your outfitter will have this under control, I'm sure.

Mongolians enjoy a drink, or two, or three... On my walks I often saw cars pulled off the road with the drivers door open and the driver lying on the ground in an alcoholic coma. And they drink from dawn to bed time - usually not a problem but something to be aware of - employed drivers don't drink.

Khovd is quite a remote area and the roads are all dirt and the condition is poor - I travelled 3,000km by road around Mongolia and the average speed on the GPS was 20mph. The vehicles are probably going to be "Russian Jeeps" and have a ride like a 1960's Landrover or Jeep, not like a modern SUV. I wouldn't even consider doing a 14hr drive in one day - you can camp anywhere so why not get the outfitter to make it a two day trip.

Think about some fishing - fish everywhere, grayling, some unidentified local fish of 1-2lb that take dry flies with enormous enthusiasm and tamien, the largest salmonid. I fought a few tamien for 30min to an hour on light gear but didn't land any - saw the mouths and heads and guess they would have gone around 20+lbs but they can go much bigger.

Mogolia is a great place, you can have lots of fun, it's safe and the people are great. If you can take a bit of time you add a great holiday at a very low cost.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Juulchin in 1999 - had a great time. One of the best hunts I have ever been on. Passed on the gazelle, as they chase them by jeep and then want you to shoot. No thanks.

I did shoot a 45 inch ibex that looks great. Don't shoot the first one you see.

Alf, why are you going in July? I went in October and thought that was the perfect time. July could be hot as hell

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with them in September 2002. Very good operation. I have friends who have hunted with them numerous times.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just watch them there Mongolians ! they wrote the book ''The Art of War '' Not, Sun Tzu !!! i was there three years ago an found that out the hard way !!! BE Careful !!!they know how to manipulate ''Dumb westerners '' to their benefit, NOT YOURS !!! okay !!! especially the women, who really know how to use western men ,no matter how innocent ,humble honest or sweet, they might seem to be ,they are only ''OUT for Themselves ''you have been warned !!!! i wish i had been !!!!!!!!!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a damn interesting story.....especially the cheeky women bit!

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,

We are going in September for the Altai hunt and I'm sure Juulchin is the people we will be hunting with there. We booked the hunt with Bob Kern because he has so much experience in Asia. I think Julchin has the vast majority of the hunting under their control. I spoke with a chap who booked directly with Juulchin and he said they tried to add a bunch of extras to the price after they got there. This is just hear say and I don't have any proof.

Hawkeye47

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thanks for all of your replies. Please post your experiences when you get back. I hear the hunting is great but the food and travel have to be endured...look forward to what you find!
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7533 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the food was superb; better than Africa actually.

Just don't eat the yak cheese or drink the homemdade vodka. YUCK

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Juulchin does not have nearly as much of the hunting locked up as in the past, there are more opportunities out there.

AZ Writer - I thought the yak cheese & the home made "yak jack" was one of the culinary highlights!! Certainly better than the boiled donkey, but we ate the boiled donkey by choice not because it was all that was offered.

I am booking hunts for Destination Mongolia Shikar - we have dates still available for 2005 & are booking dates in 2006 at 2005 prices.

Mike

"Too lazy to work and too nervous to steal"

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkeye47:
bwanamrm,

We are going in September for the Altai hunt and I'm sure Juulchin is the people we will be hunting with there. We booked the hunt with Bob Kern because he has so much experience in Asia. I think Julchin has the vast majority of the hunting under their control. I spoke with a chap who booked directly with Juulchin and he said they tried to add a bunch of extras to the price after they got there. This is just hear say and I don't have any proof.

Hawkeye47

Hawkeye47,
You mention Bob Kern. Take a look at;

www.huntingreport.com/temp_tipping_extortion.cfm

Any thoughts or comments on that? Anyone else experience this while there?
Thanks.
Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tipping/bribes/extortion are just aprt of every day life in Asia and all parts of the former Soviet Union. That does not mean it is good or bad-it is just different. I see it as a psoitive, as it exposes we Americans to other cultures and ways of life. Unless we live in New Jersey, the typical American does not have to put up with this every day.

Anyway, having hunted in Asia and done busienss in parts of the former Soviet Union, my best advice is just be prepared for it and see it as part of theadventure. If you are the type who must ahve everything laid out and planned and known down to the nth degree, then Asia is not the place for you. Life is just not like that over there.

You may be stopped for the wildest of reasons and a freindly handshoke (with bill tucked between your fingers) will suddenly cure the problem. The good thing is that the "incentive payemtns" are very small. $20 is a large bribe. $5 will often do it, adn $10 cures most problems. Remeebr, that is just the way things are over there. It is not right or wrong, only different. These folks survive and thrive in circumstances that would crumble many Americans. Give them a friendly cash handshake and be on your way. They will be happy and you will have another story to tell when you get back home

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
marc,
i think you are pretty much right on the nose, similar to africa, asia moves at its own rate of speed & with its own rules. It may not be right but it is so.
Since I am an ibex hunter, not currently a sheep hunter, I personally have not been "held up" for the big tip in either kazak or kyrg. But the $20 handshake has been needed to help the eye sight of a customs agent(Bishkek) who was having trouble reading the serial number of my rifle.
I personally do not think it is very prevelant in mongolia though, certainly not with the outfitter I am booking for (if it was I wouldn't be). But I wouldn't be doing my job if these circumsyances weren't adressed with clients prior to leaving. JMO

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
tipping/bribes/extortion are just aprt of every day life in Asia and all parts of the former Soviet Union. That does not mean it is good or bad-it is just different. I see it as a psoitive, as it exposes we Americans to other cultures and ways of life. Unless we live in New Jersey, the typical American does not have to put up with this every day.

Anyway, having hunted in Asia and done busienss in parts of the former Soviet Union, my best advice is just be prepared for it and see it as part of theadventure. If you are the type who must ahve everything laid out and planned and known down to the nth degree, then Asia is not the place for you. Life is just not like that over there.

You may be stopped for the wildest of reasons and a freindly handshoke (with bill tucked between your fingers) will suddenly cure the problem. The good thing is that the "incentive payemtns" are very small. $20 is a large bribe. $5 will often do it, adn $10 cures most problems. Remeebr, that is just the way things are over there. It is not right or wrong, only different. These folks survive and thrive in circumstances that would crumble many Americans. Give them a friendly cash handshake and be on your way. They will be happy and you will have another story to tell when you get back home

The reason I posted that link with its info is those guys are talking "thousands of $" not piss ant 5's, 10's and 20's. Also, I'm sure most here know that Juulin is the "Carnival Tours" of this general area? Hunting, etc. is only a very small part of who they are and what they do.

No aspersions to anyone or group or discouragement intended in my post. Just info only.

Dungbeetle

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am grateful to be put on notice on what to expect in "greater" Mongolia.TO me these are scary news.From time to time I hear how these extortionist tactics not only soure the hunt but possible endanger ones health and maybe life.Heard the same story for Desert sheep in mexico.That is why I research an african hunt carefully and go with an outfitter that knows how to navigate what you cannot know.
It is frightening to be in central Mongolia and be abandoned by locals.One doesnt speak the language and has no mule left Smiler
Probably one hears extremes but the thought of this to happen certainly dissuades me from entrusting myself onto that outfitter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunter:
I am grateful to be put on notice on what to expect in "greater" Mongolia.TO me these are scary news.From time to time I hear how these extortionist tactics not only soure the hunt but possible endanger ones health and maybe life.Heard the same story for Desert sheep in mexico.That is why I research an african hunt carefully and go with an outfitter that knows how to navigate what you cannot know.
It is frightening to be in central Mongolia and be abandoned by locals.One doesnt speak the language and has no mule left Smiler
Probably one hears extremes but the thought of this to happen certainly dissuades me from entrusting myself onto that outfitter

___________--

Sheephunter,
I wouldn't let that stop me from going, at all. I'd just want to know up front what to expect, the magnitude of it and how best to handle it. Then make a judgement. As Mark well says - When in Rome.......... That's the purpose of this forum and it's a good one.

Folks, I may be in error on this but I "think" one of the terms and conditions of posting a negative type report on the Hunting Reports link I provided is that the receiver of any negativity is 1st allowed to be aware and rebut the post before it is entered. That way no one is blindsided by cheap shots, competitors, etc. I think we've all seen some of this here on AR in a few of the forums.
Dungbeetle

one of us
posted Hide Post
When doing business, the sums have gotten pretty large, but hunting did not get me too much trouble. Now i did have to pay several people $100-200 for a questionable amount of service. But the typical person is what I was talking about-porters, cops, person working in some office. I have not been shaken down for thousands, but one of my hutning friends was in Tajikistan. SHe was not prepared for it and it really turned her off (i would not have been prepared for over thousands either!).

When I was getting on the plane in UB to leave Mongoila, this government guy stopped me for the thrid time and said i could not board the plane. I just opened my wallet and said how much do you want? HE pulled all of the money out and then handed me back a $10 bill so I was not broke. Luckily, I had been bled dry by that time and he did not get all that much. And it sure is funny when I tell the story, so it was worht it!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Using my guide as sounding board, I tipped the guide about 150 bucks, the guy who caped my animal 20 bucks, the camp staff maybe 10 bucks each, and that was about it.

I had no trouble there at all.

Sheep Hunter: Just go. You won't be abandoned. Look at how many people you trust your life to every day: pilots, doctors, etc.

I think it is a total rush being in places that desolate. Mongolia certainly takes the cake for the best wilderness I have ever been in. Makes Alaska look like New Jersey.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I come from a society where bribes are unethical and criminal to accept or offer.Consequently for better or worse I am totally unskilled in its fine art.I realize that other societies work differently.Without wanting to put a label onto them or judging them,I simply state that it makes me very uncomfortable to be held at bay for money.Having no recourse but to pay,not what it costs but what I have or can ask from relatives back home( Mexico,S America).This often from almighty government officials.
Not saying this is customary,just the fact that it happens occasionaly - without defense from the victim.So a story that any person had no or minor problems navigating a net of corruptive people adds little.
We are talking about a hunting trip for enjoyment,not life or death.Do I want to get into positions where I can be raped and abused?

The viable option is for the outfitter to greet me when I arrive at the port of entry till I step on the plane back home.This done by a local who knows the custom,its cost and knows what to do and at what cost soothes my conscience Smiler.I appreciate the fact that my Tanzanian PH pays such a person to deal with the local corruption and keeps me out.
I dont regard this 'challenge' as colourful or adventurous.
Corrupt societies typically suffer economically-probably because people go elsewhere to do commerce

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this hunt a better deal than the one in Cabelas for Ibex in Mongolia? We are booked for Argentina stag as our next hunt, but the Mongolia trip was looking very good for summer 07.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hunting buddy,

not trying to horn in on anything here, but if you are interested drop me a PM & I will give you the information on the hunts we offer.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
ibexebi,

What is the easiest way to judge an Ibex? Is there any one thing that assures you are looking at a good trophy,ie the curl, the mass,
the width or a combination of all?

Hawkeye47

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye47,
Generally (remember I said generally)on the central asian ibex species, one can tell by the arch of the horns & the "hook" on the end.Although mass at the base is not to be discounted, nothing says "big" like a high arch. Smaller ibex are much straighter when seen from the side.
When they are being judged from behind & running away (which happens with frequency as they very seldom do not see you) it is best to have already identified the one you are interested in!! I have seen "big into little" mistakes happen that way. Razzer

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recomend Outfitter Z.Byambakhishig jtour@magicnet.mn very nice men with good reputation for Ibex,Maral(Closed),Argali
r.
seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas