Notify
Tools

Just Got A Nice Muntjac.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted
Hi all,

We just got back from the AR European hunt and I managed to take my rifle out a couple of times over the weekend.

Got this nice buck one morning. He's just shy of medal quality but stll a wonderfull trophy that I'm thrilled with. The team turned down at least two other bucks of similar quality over the weekend, so it was good to see the trophy quality go up this year.

Rgds,
Kiri

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stunning,

does he still have both tusks?

/Chris

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Very cool K- congrats...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Cheers guys,

Yes he has both tusks.

I will do a euro mount with him so it will be interesting to see how the tusks mount out.

Tim, I shot him just across the road from where you shot yours. (Just where the "guinea fowl chickens" were...) We got about 65 deer in two days including 10 trophy bucks. I think we turned down another 10-15 trophy bucks through the weekend by guys that weren't interested in accruing more trophy fees.

K

One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
Cool animal!
Congratulations tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats quite a nice buck indeed
Congrratulations!

Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrates mate thats a rippa tu2

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Excellent! I'd love to hunt for these critters someday.

~Ann

Posts: 19173 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Nice! It brings back old memories - from 1982 to 84, when I shot a few of these in the Tea Plantations. My best was 4.5 inches. They were very challenging to hunt in the Indian bush. We mostly shot them by chance when looking for Grey Jungle Fowl. Rarely we would see one from the next hill and stalk them. Always great fun, particularly to snap shoot one on the run with 12 bore no2s.

Very nice indeed. Congratulations

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11007 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Some of the estates we use to hunt these on here have such a high density that it is verging on the ridiculous, hence why I organise the doe cull each year for the AR members. However it is fun to try and find a good one though in amongst them.

I can't remember what I measured him at but I think it was about 9cm.

Rgds,
K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fallow Buck:
Some of the estates we use to hunt these on here have such a high density that it is verging on the ridiculous, hence why I organise the doe cull each year for the AR members. However it is fun to try and find a good one though in amongst them.

Was this doe cull part of a structured deer management plan?

Of the 65 animals shoot during your AR european 2012 hunt weekend how many were does?

Give the constant reproductive cycle of muntjac in the UK, how many of those does were heavily pregnent as recommended by the best practice guides published by the likes of the BDS and DI?

Other than gender and/or antler size. What other criteria were used in the decision making process to determine whether an animal was a suitable cull animal.

Or was it a "its brown and I have the cash" decision making process for those involved?

Posts: 618 | Location: UK | Registered: 17 March 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Of the 65 animals shoot during your AR european 2012 hunt weekend how many were does?

Give the constant reproductive cycle of muntjac in the UK, how many of those does were heavily pregnent as recommended by the best practice guides published by the likes of the BDS and DI?

Other than gender and/or antler size. What other criteria were used in the decision making process to determine whether an animal was a suitable cull animal.

Or was it a "its brown and I have the cash" decision making process for those involved?

Seriously?

I'm sure that other than gender and antler size, cull criteria included personality, wit and charm. Each animal was interviewed and a short meeting scheduled to determine its fate. The next day, the lucky hunter went back and found that one muntjac in the wood full of muntjac and culled it, in front of an independent UN observer and in accordance with UK Best Practice guidelines. A post mortem examination was conducted under clinical conditions in each case.

Posts: 2359 | Location: London | Registered: 31 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boghossian:
quote:

Seriously?

I'm sure that other than gender and antler size, cull criteria included personality, wit and charm. Each animal was interviewed and a short meeting scheduled to determine its fate. The next day, the lucky hunter went back and found that one muntjac in the wood full of muntjac and culled it, in front of an independent UN observer and in accordance with UK Best Practice guidelines. A post mortem examination was conducted under clinical conditions in each case.

yuck

Yes, seriously.

Good management plans should contain other selection criteria. They should not just be about whether its a doe/buck, how big antlers are/aren't and be administered by those capable of making the correct choices.

For instance. How many of those involved were capable of determining whether a doe was in the late stages of pregnency. Or whether a good buck was worth keeping in the gene pool.

Sticking a group of mixed experience guys in highseats over a weekend and telling them to shoot what ever shows and their bank accounts allows. Doesn't appear to be a good management policy. But I could be wrong.

Would you recommend that policy for any other species?

One of Us
Picture of gbax
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is. Its only just. Looks a bit shy on length and girth. Brow tines are a little short too.

one of us
Picture of DJM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jools:
quote:

jools I have shot 100's of muntjac each year for a long time and I have yet to find anyone who can reliably tell in a muntjac doe is heavily pregnant or not.

The stalkers that tell you they can are like the ones who never miss or wound animals.

I.E LIARS

Deer Management Training, Mentoring & DSC 2 Witnessing

Please PM or deermanagementservices@gmail.com for details

Dama International: The Fallow Deer Project

Posts: 585 | Location: Lincolnshire, England | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

I agree.No one can be 100% certain 100% of the time But there are some who wouldn't know where to start or don't even bother trying.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
quote:
quote:

jools I have shot 100's of muntjac each year for a long time and I have yet to find anyone who can reliably tell in a muntjac doe is heavily pregnant or not.

The stalkers that tell you they can are like the ones who never miss or wound animals.

I.E LIARS

Nice buck Kiri. beer

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DJM:
quote:
quote:

I.E LIARS

Dave

I agree.No one can be 100% certain 100% of the time But there are some who wouldn't know where to start or don't even bother trying.

Questionable motivations or ignorances posibly being the prime reasons behind such acts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From an Estate Management perspective (not necessarily deer quality management) what is wrong with a shoot all muntjac bucks and any does where you won't be leaving behind dependent young policy?

Posts: 261 | Location: Invercargill | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The late Ronnie Rose answered that qustion admittedly in regards to roe But I think his conclusions are valid and might/can/should be adapted for muntjac.

But I guess the first question must be what do you consider to be the over arching objectives of a particular "estate management" policy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In East Anglia I would say protection of crops and forestry. Encouragement from the F.C. to cull 1 deer/Ha/Annum, means that many will shoot all muntjac on sight.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are real cool looking critters. Thanks for the pics

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sws:
In East Anglia I would say protection of crops and forestry. Encouragement from the F.C. to cull 1 deer/Ha/Annum, means that many will shoot all muntjac on sight.

The F.C. has never had any other policy than shot on sight. For them the object of the excersise is control rather than management. From first to last they are foresters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sws:

I forgot to ask. Do many in your are achieve or better the FC target of 1 deer/ha/Annum?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anyone gets close.
If you want to get the payments under the woodland management grants which paid pretty well, thats the level of culling they were suggesting.
I don't think the FC get anywhere close to it either!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was a rather facetious question on my part. I apologise.

I would be rather suspicious if any one claimed that they had bettered it.

I don't think the FC bother, they simply assess the amount of damage and react accordingly.As and when they deem that the level of damage is unacceptable they simply slaughter everything that they can pull the trigger on. Finesse is not their strongest game.