New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico ELK-Unit 13 Authorizations or Guided
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello-My name is Jim Welles. My business address is 10600 Eagle Rock Ave, Albuquerque, NM I am a licensed outfitter in the NM and have been since the mid 90's. The name of my company is JFW Ranch Consulting, LLC

I have 2 unit wide elk muzzleloader authorizations that I can sell outright or provide a guided hunt on. If you have a kid under 18, there is a hunt Oct 9 that is bar none one of the best in NM. There are only 25 public licenses offered during this timeframe. You can validate the tag for the youth, the first hunt Oct 16-20, the second hunt Oct 23-27, or the late hunt, Nov 20-24. I will sell the tags for $2,800 ea or we can customize a guided hunt based on your needs and budget.

Please give me a call at 505-294-7861 or send me a PM. I will respond immediately.

Posts: 846 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are these hunts/tags for residents only?

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sir-these can be purchased by anyone that wants to hunt the great bulls of NM. Unit 13 has recorded harvests of bulls breaking 400. This unit is also where the RMEF Tortensen Wildlife Center is located.I'd love to post a picture of a bull a buddy killed there a couple of years ago but I am not sure how to upload it.

If your wondering about my post on Monster Muleys regarding Non-Residents Stay Home, please understand that post was in total sarchasim to the residents wanting to shut down the NR's from coming into the state.

The license fee is on top of the cost to the Landowner Authorization. The cost for the youth hunt license is $562 + $9 in habitat stamps. The Oct 16-20 license is rated high demand so it costs $787 + 9 in habitat stamps. The other hunt codes are at $562 as well.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions for you. Thanks....Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that Unit Wide means you can hunt any public land that has legal access and all private ranches signed up unit wide within the Game Management Unit. We have some of the Unit Wide Ranches mapped out. Lots of country to hunt!

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Jim,

How close to the Acoma reservation is the area you have access to?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I'll vouch for the quality of bulls to be found in unit 13. I've only hunted there once, on a 'ranch only' muzzleloader tag and killed the best bull of my life, a 386' brute. I shot that bull in 2002, which was one of the very worst drought years on record, we believe that bull was a good 25' smaller than he'd have been on a wet year.

The Acoma Pueblo (famous for big bulls) is on the north end of unit 13. I hunted on the south end, which is right in some prime country. You should realize that this is semi-desert country, without a lot of natural water, so dont' expect to see lots of big pines when hunting. Where we hunted was mostly PJ habitat, and we saw some very nice bulls during our 5 day hunt.

I think this is a good tag, and a fair value. If I could go this fall, I'd be considering it myself.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DLS is correct and one of the spots we guide in actually adjoins the Acoma. However there are lots of areas in 13 that hold quality elk. As mentioned above, the RMEF ranch at the southern end really hold a bunch of animals as it has about 600 acres of irrigated land that bring them in on a string. There are public lands and unit wide ranches adjoining this ranch as well. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim

if I wasn't heading to Zim in Oct, I would have jumped all over this offer.. 13 is a great unit.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price reduced to $2,650 as of this AM.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
We just had a canellation in GMU 15 with our 2 best guides 15 guides. We can now offer these tags with a fully outfitted hunt @ 5,500 ea + NMGRT 1x1. This was a good deal that just got GREAT with these 2 guys as guides!!!

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Is it OK to say who the guides are? If not publicly, please PM me.

For those of you who want an excellent elk hunt, I can also recommend unit 15. While I've only hunted unit 13 once, I have hunted unit 15 five times. I love that unit for elk hunting. Beautiful country, lots of elk and some big bulls.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JFWRC:
We just had a canellation in GMU 15 with our 2 best guides 15 guides. We can now offer these tags with a fully outfitted hunt @ 5,500 ea + NMGRT 1x1. This was a good deal that just got GREAT with these 2 guys as guides!!!

I have an interest in hunting NM this fall.
I'll be in CO for their 2nd rifle season and would like to do back to back hunts.
I did this last year, hunted area 16E successfully.
Is this also a MZ hunt. What is NMGRT ?

Thanks
Phil

NRA Life Member since 1976
philny1@zoominternet.net
877 485-6270
Visa/MC accepted , plus 3%
We have to save the Earth, only planet with beer!!

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 665 | Location: Western NY- Steuben County | Registered: 02 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not the poster but live in New Mexico
I believe that is all Muzzleloader.
NMGRT
Is the New Mexico Gross Receipts Tax.
We have a tax on everything
Like a sales tax.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 88101. That is correct. NMGRT is New Mexico Gross Receipts tax and it is 7%. Thanks for asking to clarify. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another Point of Clarification-The tags are still available on their own or you can have a guided only or a fully outfitted hunt. We will customize to your needs not ours. PLEASE NOTE THE TAGS are NOT 15 but 13 and THAT IS WHERE THE HUNT IS TO BE HELD. THERE ARE 4 SEASONS TO CHOOSE FROM and YES IT IS MUZZY. Thanks Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
These tags have been sold. Thanks for your interest. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lucked out and found 2 more UW MUZZY TAGS, yeah. According to the Eastmans MRS Section Cibola and Socorro Counties have been the best producer of big P&Y and B&C Bulls over the last 10 years in NM. They have the Socorro County average size at 332 and Cibola County average size at 335 with 30% of the bulls in Socorro Co over 350 and 45% of the bulls in Cibola over 350. Well, Unit 13 is in both Counties. We have 2 more spots open. We will do a guided only with LO UW permit at $4K + tax ea. We will do a fully outfitted at $4.9K + tax ea both 1x1. THIS PRICE INCLUDES THE UW LO PERMIT. DOES NOT INCLUDE STATE LICENSE. Our guides want you to score on a big bull. Don't miss this awesome opportunity to go in this unit. There are 4 timeframes to choose from. The first is youth PRIMO. The second is Oct 16. The third is Oct 23....and the fourth and maybe the best is Nov 20-24 according to some guides in the know. Call us or e-mail us at 505-294-7861 or JFWRC@comcast.net. Let me send you a picture of me with a 400 bull taken in 13 a couple of years ago.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have 1 left......spent the morning with one of the top Double H guides. I asked him about the Nov 20 timeframe.....his response was that if he had the hunt, that was bar none the one he'd be looking for his bull on. Tell me how to post a photo, I will post a pics of the elk seen yesterday and this AM. Jim

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
can you use archery gear and more specifically a crossbow or are they muzzle loader only? also what would be the price all in for a non resident fully guided hunt in mid Oct.? thanks. Jerry

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13169 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry-Can use bow, can't use crossbow......yet. There was a vote on the elk rule for the upcoming 4 years and for some reason I thought I reads something about using crossbows on elk hunts being added. There are a few unit now that allow crossbow, but his is not one of them yet.....Jim

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
all in price for a fully guided hunt in mid Oct. for 5-6 days?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13169 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$4,900 + NMGRT @ 7% fully outfitted 1x1 for a total of $5243, Oct 16-20. You may in fact have 2 guides working for you. What do we call that 1x2? Smiler

If you are a member of Huntin Fool, go look at the cover and cover article of this February. That is a 13 bull.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention if anyone wants the Eastman's MRS section that describes the western states rankings, let me know....I can forward it to you.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry-my apologies.....I neglected to mention that the price did not include the cost of the state license. The cost for the Oct 16 hunt is $787. The cost of license for the Oct 23 hunt is $562 and the cost of the license on the Nov 20 hunt is $563. By the way, the Nov hunt is very good. The first time it was opened was last fall and locals were all very impressed. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still have one hunt left. There are a total of 4 hunt dates available. Again, this hunt can be done by purchasing the LO permit only for:
1)$2250 + Tax and License or 2) guided only $2250 + Tax and License for the LO permit + $350/day + tax (2 day minimum) or 3)fully outfitted $2250 + license, guide at $350/day and camp for 5 days for a total of $4,900 + tax. If you have a son or daughter, grandson, granddaughter, this hunt is AWESOME!! for them under the youth date. Can send info on bull quality.