THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM OUTFITTERS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Outfitters - Offered and Discounted Hunts    Bowfishing for Sharks in California!! Pics (Updated Pics at the end)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bowfishing for Sharks in California!! Pics (Updated Pics at the end)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nope. The winners here are maybe a few goofy, half-witted blue sharks.

Now there's something you might look into: gaffing monster makos. If one of your sports can do it solo, flying gaff or standard, on a mako over 5 bills, their trip is free. Hell, get that on camera and I'll pay the sport's ride.

I'm holding my breath, so do hurry please!

Wink

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Wow, issues..............
But nothing some couch time, meds and a rubber room couldn't take care of LOL.
We should start a fund "please donate to the Gari cause" all proceeds will be directly used to hunt down and punish the people who have mentally scared Gari for life in the hunting and fishing industry. sofa

One of Us
Picture of Hunting For Adventure
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsm2003:
Wow, issues..............
But nothing some couch time, meds and a rubber room couldn't take care of LOL.
We should start a fund "please donate to the Gari cause" all proceeds will be directly used to hunt down and punish the people who have mentally scared Gari for life in the hunting and fishing industry. sofa

HA!!!! lol clap

Posts: 1161 | Location: Kansas City, Missouri | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Must admit this is not dissimilar to the Young Lion thread. I know Jeff and he is a good bugger and I cannot doubt his character but what is interesting is that aging and conservation is also of concern in our seas.

KG does have a point which is if you are advertising the take off of big mature sharks then why post pictures of little ones?

Like I said there is a parallel with the lion issue?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fairgame:

...aging and conservation is also of concern in our seas.

You're damned right it is. A big part of being a true sportsman is being a good steward of our wonderful resources. Killing the young before they reach sexual maturity, particularly with a species that has seen dramatic downswings in its population, is just plain stupid.

I have seen several local fisheries go from bust to boon in a few short years, due to mandatory closures. I have zero problems with killing fish, and killing lots of them, if the population numbers support it.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Basically not a bad idea but poorly presented?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9870 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
I have been following this thread for a while and just couldn't stand the BS THAT IS BEING SPOUTED ANY LONGER. Ca. makos don't get as large as their east cost counterparts. I lived in San Diego for 15 years(1982 to 1997) and during that time fished in 3-4 big money shark tournaments from my own boat every year. only makos and threshers counted as catch and without exception if you landed a 250 plus lb. fish, you could be assured of finishing in the money(first through third place). admittedly an occasional 400 plus pounder would be taken but it was VERY RARE. BEAR IN MIND THESE WERE 35-50 BOAT TOURNAMENTS WITH EXPERIENCED SKIPPERS VYING FOR A LOT OF MONEY. no way in hell would someone consider a 200 lb. fish a pup or pass on baiting him. GARI DOESN'T HAVE A CLUE ABOUT MAKOS OFF CA. -I HAVE BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT AND HE IS ABSOLUTELY full of --it. i know that the Atlantic makos are larger and maybe a 200 lb fish is a pup-BUT NOT OUT HERE! as far as blue sharks go, they are a dime a dozen and considered pests that eat your chum and baits with nothing to show for it. Gari get off your high horse and post about a subject that you know something about- it sure as hell isn't Ca. shark fishing!!! as an aside, there is no finer game fish in the ocean than a nice(200 plus lb) mako on medium tackle. jumps higher than a marlin but turns cartwheels while in the air instead of tail walking, with the speed of a wahoo on the first few runs- before he settles down to a tuna-like sluggfest. God help you if he comes to the boat too green- expect a skyrocket leap at boat side that may well land him in the cockpit. been there , done that, and it ain't a pretty sight- guys jumping OUT of the boat to escape. slashing jaws and tail! Gari, you sir know NOTHING ABOUT WHAT THIS HUNT/ FISHING OFFERING IS ALL ABOUT- BUT YOU CONTINUE TO DISPLAY YOUR IGNORANCE FOR ALL TO SEE.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
When's your trip booked for?

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
admittedly an occasional 400 plus pounder would be taken but it was VERY RARE. .

Is that right? Hmm. Well, now I'm a bit confused, because your buddy states, :

"Smaller Boat $2500 a day BIG boat- $2750 a day
Monster Mako Trip- 12 hour trip. This gets you the same as listed above, except you will be using MASSIVE amounts of Chum, which has a better chance of pulling up the Giants! There is a Trophy fee of $1 per pound on any shark over 300lbs."

"Also I would recommend 2 days just so everyone gets some action, whether it is on the rod, or the bow."

"Many 700 Plus pounders have been taken on this boat."

"If you would like to see pics of the 700 pounders, I will be happy to get them for you. I have not been on the boat when one was taken, so I dont have the pictures on me."

"Congrats on your big mako. Hopefully I will be able to get one as big as yours this year. I know the boat will take quite a few that big, and probably a few bigger than that."

Hmmm. lol. Yeah, you boys team up and keep digging.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
So, let's see if I got this right: you're a hardcore tournament fisherman, and you've fished with the elite, the very best shark slayers, targeting makos, that money can buy, employing all they've got to boat that elusive, very rare 400 lb. fish (but most were 200s), because the Pacific SFM is much smaller than the Atlantic one, yes? Yet, our OP has stated repeatedly that his outfit has slain many, many monsters. Coming from the guy with no interest in the sale, and who isn't a dedicated fisherman.I may be being generous. How many times you been out to challenge the mako and ferocious blue dog with your trusty bow? Like once? Twice? Hmm.

It's amazing to me that pointing out that some of the 'deals' here that are not a whole lot more than a joke, really, is seen as some sort of evil deed. If they're so rare, where is the justification for the 'monster mako trip' BS sales pitch? They sure as hell make it sound easy to find the MONSTERS. Funny that 35-50 experienced outfits rigged for big game VERY rarely took one over 4 bills, but your boy there, between two boats, is covered up filthy with the big 'uns. A sucker is born every minute. Fish 'em up, boys. I'm done.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
P.S. JDollar, thanks for the input on how fierce a mako can be. Fun, ain't it? And not for nothing, but if you intentionally bring a mako in green, you're doing it wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leighhton:

Are those pictures of the shark that the taxidermist hosed you on?

Gentlemen, I am not going to argue. However, i will say that I spent a lot of time fishing in my twisted youth. We caught and killed a lot of sharks no matter the species or size. I view this differently a lot of years later. The shark population has dropped dramatically in many areas. There is not an infinite population of these magnificent creatures. I have no idea about the population in the area advertised. However, one should think about this.

Posts: 11974 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Leighhton:

Are those pictures of the shark that the taxidermist hosed you on?

Larry, yes, those are pics of the fish that they *tried* hosing me on taxidermy on (tried to blackmail me for $4500 or thereabouts). I ended up getting a full-size mount done in CT (as opposed to being skewered by the crooked SOBs in FL) for about a third or that, and am very happy with it. The wife, not so much...

Wink

And I agree fully on your sentiment on indiscriminately killing everydamnthing I haul to the boat from the sea. They deserve better, and are much more valuable as a resource alive than dead. Turn the little ones loose.

posted Hide Post
Nice pics ! and much "nicer posts in a more gentleman manner".

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
So, let's see if I got this right: you're a hardcore tournament fishermen, and you've fished with the elite, the very best shark slayers, targeting makos, that money can buy, employing all they've got to boat that elusive, very rare 400 lb. fish (but most were 200s), because the Pacific SFM is much smaller than the Atlantic one, yes? Yet, our OP has stated repeatedly that his outfit has slain many, many monsters. Coming from the guy with no interest in the sale, and who isn't a dedicated fisherman.I may be being generous. How many times you been out to challenge the mako and ferocious blue dog with your trusty bow? Like once? Twice? Hmm.

It's amazing to me that pointing out that some of the 'deals' here that are not a whole lot more than a joke, really, is seen as some sort of evil deed. If they're so rare, where is the justification for the 'monster mako trip' BS sales pitch? They sure as hell make it sound easy to find the MONSTERS. Funny that 35-50 experienced outfits rigged for big game VERY rarely took one over 4 bills, but your boy there, between two boats, is covered up filthy with the big 'uns. A sucker is born every minute. Fish 'em up, boys. I'm done.

listen closely moron and I will keep it really simple so maybe you can comprehend it. i am not and was not at the time a professional fishing guide- just a guy with a boat who love to shark fish. i didn't spend more than a total of 3 weeks on the water in a whole season- much different from a professional charter boat skipper. therefore my results were not indicative of what was caught by guys sharking every weekend for a living- i didn't say i was a pro, only that i fished in the same tournaments. the basic fact remains that very large makos ( greater than 600-700 lbs ) are there but not in huge numbers and becomes a matter of luck- the more time you spend on the water, the better your chances of catching a large fish. as far as bringing a green mako to the boat too quickly, how exactly do you propose to stop him when he decides that's the direction he wants to swim? you generally want to keep a reasonably tight line but not pressure him at boatside- beyond that, it's up to the shark. FYI I have never bowfished for sharks but sounds like fun. as far as you being done and out of here, i truly hope so as you are one of the biggest assholes to post here in quite a while- and that is saying a lot! this guy is just trying to offer a different hunting/fishing opportunity and you have appointed yourself as the guardian of correctness/ethics. I REPEAT- YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SHARK FISHING OFF CALIFORNIA- YES THERE ARE 500 PLUS POUND FISH TO BE HAD BUT THEY DON'T GROW ON TREES AND AND YOU SIR, SHOULD GET BACK UP IN YOURS AND STF!. END OF RANT - KNOW IT ALLS JUST BUG ME.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13160 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
You proved exactly two things with your post: that you're a boor, and 'bugging' schmucks like yourself when trying to save a few guys from being gypped pleases me no end.

Edited to add: if you knew the first damned thing about fishing, you'd know the answer to your question is that the man at the helm moves the boat. Or is that a trick question? What a true googan you are. Roll Eyes

If there are so few large makos out there, WTF are you idiots doing killing the shorts for then? Keep digging, you donk.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bowfishing for Sharks in California
Well guys, I just got back a few days ago from another California bowfishing trip. It was awesome again to say the least. The first day we went out, and had the pleasure of having a 15 ft. Great White come to the boat! This fish was absolutely massive. Matt guessed him at around 1500-1800lbs! To say the least, no Makos were brave enough to show up with him hanging around. On the 2nd Day, we went out about 60-70 miles and had a really good drift with a great chum slick. We knew something good was going to happen. Then around 2pm, I look up and all of the seagulls were gone! I looked out and a BIG Mako flew right up to the boat. Game on! We got everyone ready, and put my friend Wade on the bow. The first toss of the bait, and we had him right at the swim step of the boat! Wade made a good shot, and the fight was on. An hour and a half later we managed to boat this 424 lb. Mako! To our knowledge, this is the 2nd largest Mako with bowfishing equipment.

On the third day, we were pretty worn out, and the water was ROUGH, so we decided to stay fairly close to the shore(25-30 miles). We were all about 3 boat rocks away from being sea sick, when the birds all tore butt out of the slick again! We knew we had a Mako coming in. This is a moment on the boat when you go from napping and making sandwiches to an all out adrenaline rush! This shark was trying to chew on the chum bucket before we even lured him in, but Scott did a good job holding off for the camera. When the bait hit the water, he was on it hard! Scott shot him right in the spine, and took the fight right out of him. He wasnt a monster, but a nice fish in anybodys book! (Except Gari)

This really is a bowfishing trip of a lifetime. You just never know what is going to show up at the boat!

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Thomason:

Mustard or tartar sauce?