Find
Notify
Tools

New Mexico Desert Bighorn Sheep Hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello:

My name is Jim Welles. I own and operate JFW Ranch Consulting, LLC, 10600 Eagle Rock Ave, Albuquerque, NM 87122. My phone number is 505.294.7861. I have been a registered outfitter in NM for 17+ years.

JFWRC and Jesse Novak, our Bighorn Sheep expert, have teamed up to provide you with an awesome Desert Sheep hunt. Jesse's passion is Bighorn Sheep. His knowledge of the locations of the big rams is unsurpassed as he devotes his time to finding and filming the sheep in their haunts. His new 2012 "Hit List" DVD is free for the asking. Shoot us an e-mail or give us a call (505-294-7861) to get yours now. You have to apply in the public draw and deadline for online applications is March 28th........you can't win unless you apply. Call Jesse to get his advice on hunt codes. His number is 505-795-8259. Visit our website at www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com

The cost of this hunt is $6,500, if drawn. The location of the hunts will either the Pelencillos, the Hachets, or the Caballos. He'll have the rams locations and pics to you before you startSmiler

A few of his pics of rams will follow. Call us for the DVD.

Posts: 846 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 18 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that the $6,500 + NM tax is fully outfitted for 7 days. Jim

One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
Jim,

What's the story on the second ram? Do they tag a lot of the free range ones or is he behind a fence?

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Sir-Rams are tagged in all areas for study. Game and Fish really has done a good job following them from birth to death. They estimate the total herd size at 600+/- and were recently delisted. There is only 15 public tags a couple of auction/raffle tags, and a couple of LO permits in 2012. This will be an exciting year for hunting deserts in NM. Jesse can fill you in with mega details. Feel free to give him a ring. Thanks for the post. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim,
Are their preference points given if unsuccessful?

Posts: 10263 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat-I am sorry, NM does not have a point system. It was tried years ago, but folks realized that it was going to take years for folks to go the way they set it up. They stopped it by allowing all that had poinst take all those tags in those unit for a couple of seasons. With 15 tags for deserts, no telling how point creep would work.

There is a $20 NON REFUNDABLE app fee, a $65 REFUNDABLE game license fee and you must pay the REFUNDABLE NR license fee up front of $3,180. Yes expensive no doubt. The legislature is working on another Governors tag and there is a raffle tag that will be offered in a couple of months by the NM Chapter of the WSF. Thanks for the question. Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple to do a weighted lottery. You apply one year and get a point each year you don't draw. Your odds would be better than a first time applicant. They just don't want to spend the time and effort.

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuckmaxman:
Pretty simple to do a weighted lottery. You apply one year and get a point each year you don't draw. Your odds would be better than a first time applicant. They just don't want to spend the time and effort.

Lol... No, they just don't want to do. Spend some time building preference or bonus points in the west and you would soon figure out why.

Posts: 2646 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$3100 would be pretty steep for what most know would only be a point.
I sort of like the expensive draw with open odds.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
REFUNDABLE NR license fee up front of $3,180.

Totally refundable. Not a historically unheard of situation for Desert Sheep draws across the West.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The mass is awesome on this guy.

One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Incredible ram. Think you can tie him up until I draw that tag?

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get that tag and we'll even skin it for ya pilgrimSmiler Jim

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I'd love to get one of these tags. A few years ago I hunted desert mulies down in their range. Saw just three deer, but over 35 desert bighorns, with 4-5 of those in the definite shooter category. It's a hell of a note when you have to plan your deer stalk around a herd of bighorns...

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nilly I wanna go after him, that's a great ram!

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We still have lots of videos. These rams and more are on the "free" DVD. Its a tough draw but you can't win unless you play. Jesse knows where these rams hang. He going down to the areas to get updated pictures all the time.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been putting in for 20+ years for one of these tags. Good luck guys it's tough odds to say the least but somebody has got to hit it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a dream for all of us, but you cannot win a draw if you do not apply.

I have been applying in every western state for several years - no luck yet but hope springs eternal!!!

I did draw an oryx tag in New Mexico a few years ago, so I am hooked on putting into the various lotteries.

Posts: 115 | Location: Sparta (where else?) | Registered: 05 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been applying for this hunt and don't worry about anything until I see the tag in the mail. I did draw the Gila bighorn license years ago and got a nice ram and watched the hippies at the hot springs. Also drew the Wyoming goat tag twice. Getting close to unit 201 in Colorado elk with 22 points. The hard to draw hunts offer good hunting once the tag is drawn. Put in for 14 and most of the time draw none. By the way, isn't there any free ranging ibex outside of the Florida's to hunt?

Posts: 69 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
isn't there any free ranging ibex outside of the Florida's to hunt?

Yes there are but they are sparse and tough to find.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will definitely put in for one of these critters!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
More eye candySmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I were to draw and shoot that ram I'd want the tracking collar as part of the deal. The next time my waterfowl buddy pulls out his call lanyard with all those leg tags on it. I'd be forced to pull out my "sheep call" lanyard with that collar attached.

Beat that B'yotch! Big Grin

(Just kidding I know you've got to return the collar to mother DOW but it's fun to dream.)

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video Jim. The still photos shown here do not do justice to the size of these rams. You really need to see the video.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4780 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesse is down filming again today.....has some great new footage of a monster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I have been putting in for 20+ years for one of these tags. Good luck guys it's tough odds to say the least but somebody has got to hit it!

Amen brother.
Although I only have 8 $3k deposits going in.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys - One thing to be aware of. New this year in 2012 is NM is now offering 16 Desert Sheep tags, with several new areas open.

Odds will always be long, and NM license fees are high, but they have added a bunch of permits to the mix.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RichP470
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. Some stud rams out there! Keep in touch on the drawing and auction.

Posts: 72 | Location: Saratoga, CA | Registered: 16 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More Eye Candy------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
April Eye Candy. Just 29 days to the results of the draw!

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know where some of these guys are, and you can bet your ass my fingers are crossed hoping I get one of those tags. I didn't win the power ball though, and my odds are about the same. Big Grin

Posts: 3295 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saturday Picture

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the DVD. I'm in the draw.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you got the good news on that Desert Tag, we've got the sheep guide for you. He's got new DVD's to provide those wanting to see the newest of the new on the rams running southern NM. Jimbo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No tag for me this year. Try again next year.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the DVD! In the draw now...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote