New
Find
Notify
Tools

2020 alaska grizzly bear hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My grizzly hunts are booked until 2020 and I’m letting folks know who are planning ahead that booking now will secure 2017 rates. ($14,000 1x1, $10,000 2x1) High chance prices will go up by 2020.
I do all my own guiding and offer several different style hunts. I have base camp hunts and back packing hunts. Spot and stalk hunts as well as baited hunts. Spring as well as summer and fall hunts.
Bears average between 7’-8’ and are classified as brown bear by Boone and cricket but inland grizzly by SCI.
My hunts are non smoking and non drinking hunts, base camp hunts are honestyle meals, (with actual home made bread and buns new for 2018 and on!) my hunts have been running around 70% success or better for spot and stalk hunts, baited hunts are 7 for 9. First two guys did not kill bears, both saw bears away from the baits that were inaccessible. I have changed techniques and moved baiting areas and the last seven guys have shot bears.
Check out
www.blackriverhunting.com

for photos and information about my hunts.
Here’s a thread in another forum about this past season.
http://forums.outdoorsdirector...3-BRWNBR-2017-season

There’s hunt reports in the alaska forum here as well as the hunt reports forum. Check me out, ask me questions. Maybe I’m not the outfitter for you but I’m more than happy to help out if I can!
Jake Jefferson
Alaska master guide 212
Wasilla alaska
907-414-9471 text is best I have six kids!
Brhc1911@yahoo.com
Www.blackriverhunting.com

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Jake's the real deal folks. If you want grizzly check him out. I killed a beautiful grizzly with Jake this past June.

Jake please post a photo for me, Thx Bob

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does this go for Kodiak as well and what do you need for deposit to secure space that far in advance?

Posts: 574 | Location: Utah | Registered: 30 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven’t got the new photo thing figured out for AR yet now that photobucket went rouge.

For hunts that far out I do a 25% deposit to secure the spot.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
What cost of hunt? 25% of what?

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good call. Sorry I forgot prices
$14,000 1x1
$10,000 2x1

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First time in my hunting life i see a ban on smoking and drinking.
What is the reason of this imposition?
I can understand drinking but why on earth to forbiden smoking ?
Obviously i smoke and i would never be able to jump on this hunt even if good as it seems to be.
Just curious!

Posts: 208 | Location: PortugaL | Registered: 10 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
First time in my hunting life i see a ban on smoking and drinking.
What is the reason of this imposition?
I can understand drinking but why on earth to forbiden smoking ?
Obviously i smoke and i would never be able to jump on this hunt even if good as it seems to be.
Just curious!

I guess it's the guide's prerogative as to who he wants to hunt with. But my hunts are also my vacations. If I want to have a drink or two by the campfire at night, I'm going to. I wouldn't want to put Jake in an uncomfortable spot, so I wouldn't book a hunt with him (although he seems to do a nice job).

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do all my own guiding. One client at a time. And if someone is a non smoker and they stay in a tent on a hunt after a smoker it can give you headaches. I don’t want any of my gear to smell like smoke,
I’d have to have smoking gear and non smoking gear. Then build a shed to store the smoking gear in to keep the rest of my gear from smelling. Also don’t want to load that same smoke smelling gear into my Pilots clean airplanes.
For a non smoker, you cannot get away from the smoke smell. So I decided why mess with it?
I’m completely aware that this excludes some folks from doing a hunt with me, but so does price, physical limitations, schedules etc. I’ve taken smokers who just didnt smoke on their hunt.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fourtyonesix:
I do all my own guiding. One client at a time. And if someone is a non smoker and they stay in a tent on a hunt after a smoker it can give you headaches. I don’t want any of my gear to smell like smoke,
I’d have to have smoking gear and non smoking gear. Then build a shed to store the smoking gear in to keep the rest of my gear from smelling. Also don’t want to load that same smoke smelling gear into my Pilots clean airplanes.
For a non smoker, you cannot get away from the smoke smell. So I decided why mess with it?
I’m completely aware that this excludes some folks from doing a hunt with me, but so does price, physical limitations, schedules etc. I’ve taken smokers who just didnt smoke on their hunt.

I have a drink every night (mostly) but when I hunt in a spike camp, I leave it at home. I also puff on a cigar sometimes but the only reason I would ever light up hunting bears is because I concluded my trophy room was too full and I really didn't want to shoot one. Seriously, why do anything that hampers your chances?

Jake is spot on with this call...

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

I have a drink every night (mostly) but when I hunt in a spike camp, I leave it at home. I also puff on a cigar sometimes but the only reason I would ever light up hunting bears is because I concluded my trophy room was too full and I really didn't want to shoot one. Seriously, why do anything that hampers your chances?

Jake is spot on with this call...

If I wanted to feel like I was at work, I'd stay at work and make money instead of spending it.

It's the hunter's hunt, but I absolutely agree that Jake should hunt with whomever he wants.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most people have criteria for their guides. Why can’t a guide have criteria for his clients? There comes a point where personalities melding comes into play and if someone’s smoking is messing up the hunting I would be the one to get blamed for their lack of success as well. (Not that one could ever say it was the smoke. But I don’t run campfires either for that same reason)
I’ve almost even asked for client references before!! I don’t want a headache at work and I sure don’t want to listen to someone else tell me about theirs when I could have prevented it.
If someone’s got an issue with my issues I know plenty of outfitters who’d be more than happy to cash your checks and let you drink and smoke as much as you’d like.
I hunt hard, we have a riot doing it, Haven’t need alchohol and Tobacco to
Improve that. Yet. Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy refreshing to have a camp that would be booze and smoke free.
If Jake wants it that way and you know before you book DONT BOOK FIND SOMEONE ELSE.
I believe all Jakes camps are very close quarters and drinking and smoking could be very annoying.
Look at Jakes success rate on game I guess his hunter requirements must pay off.
Way to go

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of respect for you Jake! Cigarette smoke is rough on me...nice to know your camps are and will be smoke free. A cigar...another story.

Respect! As hunters, we should respect your (guides’) request.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LittleJoe
posted Hide Post
Awesome to see a guide put it in writing and stand up for himself. Great job Jake. I would hunt with you based on that alone.

There are thousands of options. Jake is being upfront and honest to make sure and not waste your time or his. Good for him.

Posts: 1355 | Registered: 04 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Ahrenberg
posted Hide Post
Good Morning 461.

Me, personally, I don't smoke. I don't drink. I also stay physically fit.

Thats said, I'm a bit perplexed that you would have these policies. Even if you do, I surely wouldn't advertise them.

Your results speak to themselves as does your bookings.

Being in the people business, I would think you would have a bit more tolerance of some peoples issues.

Smoking, I hate the smell and agree it fouls your gear. But the drinking?

Good luck and good hunting.

Steve

Formerly "Nganga"

Posts: 3388 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: 26 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever guided a drunk client for brown bear? Ever broke up fights after a great dinner or repaired walls that people have fallen thru on remote cabins or patched bullet holes in floors after, ever been embarrassed to sit by someone running their mouth under the influence? I’ve done all these things in a hunting camp. Seen master guides/employees/clients all acting unsafe or treating other people in ways that’s uncalled for.
Now It’s just me and a client. How alchohol effects everyone is different. One beer for me is different than one beer for you. I’m not gonna walk in front of someone the next day and just hope for the best. I’ve got six kids counting on me to make decisions that will provide for them and get me home safe. Hanging out with a stranger with guns in a environment where most are pranoid about bears is not where I want to find out how well you can hold your liquor. There’s no need for it. Plenty of time to drink after the hunt.
Now if your talking one nightcap at the end of the day, I’ve made exceptions. For people I know.
I am in the people business. And I do everything I can to set them up for success and me for great trip. Cut the unneeded risks.

As for advertising them. I’m gonna be open and honest. Plenty outfitters who aren’t. I’m not one of them

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
Drinking around the campfire in Africa seems to be part and parcel in Africa (but I think I had drank 3 nights on my last 14 day hunt due to blind sitting), but seriously, if you can't put down the alcohol for a week, it isn't Jake's problem, it is yours - you have a drinking problem.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ever guided a drunk client for brown bear? Ever broke up fights after a great dinner or repaired walls that people have fallen thru on remote cabins or patched bullet holes in floors after, ever been embarrassed to sit by someone running their mouth under the influence? I’ve done all these things in a hunting camp. Seen master guides/employees/clients all acting unsafe or treating other people in ways that’s uncalled for.
Now It’s just me and a client. How alchohol effects everyone is different. One beer for me is different than one beer for you. I’m not gonna walk in front of someone the next day and just hope for the best. I’ve got six kids counting on me to make decisions that will provide for them and get me home safe. Hanging out with a stranger with guns in a environment where most are pranoid about bears is not where I want to find out how well you can hold your liquor. There’s no need for it. Plenty of time to drink after the hunt.
Now if your talking one nightcap at the end of the day, I’ve made exceptions. For people I know.
I am in the people business. And I do everything I can to set them up for success and me for great trip. Cut the unneeded risks.

As for advertising them. I’m gonna be open and honest. Plenty outfitters who aren’t. I’m not one of them

I've done only two guided hunts in my life. One with Jake and the other years ago in Saskatchewan. The Canadian smoked like a chimney and was an alcoholic. It was miserable.

Jake is a great guy, hilarious, and you won't miss the booze. Smokers, oh well. Besides, leaving the booze behind means you won't have to leave the tent in the middle of the night to whiz and wonder what that noise was in the dark.

Just sent you a PM, Jake.

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know many lower 48 Whitetail hunters that have a his major ritual about scent on their clothes because of the keen nose of the deer.
Well a bear is 10times more sensitive of smell. So why risk a high dollar hunt over a few cigarettes or cigars. Don’t make sense.
$5 cigarette pack or $15,000 hunt, gee let me guess what I will do. And booze the same.
Just my opinion Booze, smoke and drug free hunt gets my vote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Grizz is a serious proposition. Personally for me there is nothing worse than a drunk in hunting camp. I think Jakes policies will help his business more than hurt it. Obviously he is booked until 2020.
I would hate to be a guide having to babysit a slob hunter and being responsible for them. If it were my business, I would be highly selective of who I took with me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I understand, i believe and i agree that hunting and alchool are not good friends, i like to drink my glass of wine with a good meal but if the outfitter is not willing to allow so be it , i can easily not drink one glass of a good red wine while i am on a hunt.
I hunted Iran many times and no alchool at all and that is not a problem for me .
But to “ forbiden “me to smoke outside my tent or cabin in a hunt ??? That i really dont understand .
You may not allow someone to smoke in your house , in your car , even 20 meters from you , during the stalk , but completely forbiden when in your area while we are not harming anyone but ourselves is absolutely a fundamentalist atittude and i hate all kinds of fundamentalism.
And to connect the success of a hunt to smoking is also hilarious !
Anyway it seems that you are booked almost till 2020 which means there are a lot of clients that dont smoke ya good for them and for you .
you don't respect me as a smoker but as i respect your outfit i wish you the best of luck .
All the best

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I think it's great Jake. One of the things I worry about when booking a trip with somebody I don't know is if they are an excessive drinker or smoker. I have asthma and smoke irritates it so for me this is a no-go, so this I always ask. But asking somebody if they are a "heavy drinker" is a bit more invasive. I don't drink, and I am always surprised at how this seems to bother those around me who do. Just easier to avoid it if possible.

I appreciate and respect your candid and upfront approach, and the professional way that you simply describe your service ("My hunts are non smoking and non drinking hunts")...certainly not intending to offend nor judge anybody. Homestyle meals sound good too!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skip Nantz:
Lots of respect for you Jake! Cigarette smoke is rough on me...nice to know your camps are and will be smoke free. A cigar...another story.

Respect! As hunters, we should respect your (guides’) request.

I could have sworn cigars and cigarettes were both made from tobacco and both created smoke. Live and learn....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13145 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Dollar that's funny. Skip has been a client of mine and God bless him if he likes a cigar on occasion but I too do not get it. If a guy on safari chain smokes 3-4 cigarettes during cocktails before dinner that's offensive but a cigar that's equivalent to a half pack of cigarettes is OK. What am I missing? I'm an ex 60 cigs a day guy. If I started on cigars I'd be sucking them right down to my toenails and loving every cancer filled moment. Carcinogens are carcinogens are they not?

To the topic of Jake wanting a smoke and alcohol free camp that's fine. He's right up front on that matter and I'd be happy to pass that on to clients if he and I were working together. Personally shit faced clients in any hunting camp are not great. A little dinner drink or two in my book is fine and a bottle for a few sips to take the edge off a tent bound day is almost a necessity.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are way too many people who think of hunting camp as one big excuse to party. Whether it's deer or elk camp in the lower 48 or a bunch of old farts in Africa. Not only is it stupid and dangerous, but it is disrespectful to hunting and the animals we pursue. Hunters under the influence tend to make bad choices and do stupid things. These behaviors jeopardize the future of hunting.

If you need to get hammered, stay on the golf course or at the conventions. If what I'm saying is offensive to you, it is not nearly as offensive as to those of us who have put up with these behaviors.

KEEP HUNTING PURE!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indi,
I believe I explained why no smoking. Because it smells up all my gear. Smoke a mile away and sleep in my tent and my tent smells like smoke. The next client who does not smoke will not enjoy that tent anymore.

I believe by me being up front and not waiting till we are in the field and then “forbidding” you to smoke is being respectful of you. I’m not disrespecting anyone. Merely being up front and honest about my camp policies.

Every time this comes up there are a handful of smokers and drinkers that just can’t figure this one out.

Master guide #212

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jake this past June. It was a baited hunt for grizzly. We sat the bait from 7PM to 7AM. Then back to camp for breakfast, sleep, dinner then back to the bait. Repeat this for the entire hunt. No time for any sitting around a campfire with a beer. Jake hunts hard & does what it takes to get you on a bear.

There was time after the hunt for some halibut fishing and watching the Stanley Cup with pizza & cold beer.

When I go to Texas on a hog hunt, there is the place for a campfire, sipping whiskey and smoking a cigar. Not in AK going after my dream---An AK Grizzly. Bob

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Anyone interested in maybe a 2x1 bait hunt in 2020?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey bob I’ve got a guy looking for a bait partner for a 2x1

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good call don. I did have the first two hunts we didn’t kill bears on that I had forgotten about! I hadn’t thought of that much as a baited hunt since we spent more time glassing. I’ll change my stats! The guy after you we sat bait all the time. But I no longer bait in that area.
Blanked that one, you’d think I was drinking on my hunts now. Lol

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good call don. I did have the first two hunts we didn’t kill bears on that I had forgotten about! I hadn’t thought of that much as a baited hunt since we spent more time glassing. I’ll change my stats! The guy after you we sat bait all the time. But I no longer bait in that area.
Blanked that one, you’d think I was drinking on my hunts now. Lol

Stats have been adjusted.

Master guide #212

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:
There are way too many people who think of hunting camp as one big excuse to party. Whether it's deer or elk camp in the lower 48 or a bunch of old farts in Africa. Not only is it stupid and dangerous, but it is disrespectful to hunting and the animals we pursue. Hunters under the influence tend to make bad choices and do stupid things. These behaviors jeopardize the future of hunting.

If you need to get hammered, stay on the golf course or at the conventions. If what I'm saying is offensive to you, it is not nearly as offensive as to those of us who have put up with these behaviors.

KEEP HUNTING PURE!

Keep hunting pure? Pure what? I didn’t realize that most of us who hunt Africa are old farts- although I guess I am. I don’t think the dead animal gives a shot about the hunter’s behavior, offensive or otherwise. And there is a huge difference between a couple of drinks and a cigar at night and being under the influence while in the field. Please don’t make stupid generalizations and paint with such a broad brush.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13145 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
quote:
Originally posted by deadibob:

KEEP HUNTING PURE!

Keep hunting pure? Pure what? I didn’t realize that most of us who hunt Africa are old farts- although I guess I am. I don’t think the dead animal gives a shot about the hunter’s behavior, offensive or otherwise. And there is a huge difference between a couple of drinks and a cigar at night and being under the influence while in the field. Please don’t make stupid generalizations and paint with such a broad brush.

+1

Good grief.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s ok guys. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion. We don’t all live together so we don’t all have to agree or see eye to eye on everything.

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indi,
I believe I explained why no smoking. Because it smells up all my gear. Smoke a mile away and sleep in my tent and my tent smells like smoke. The next client who does not smoke will not enjoy that tent anymore.

I believe by me being up front and not waiting till we are in the field and then “forbidding” you to smoke is being respectful of you. I’m not disrespecting anyone. Merely being up front and honest about my camp policies.

Every time this comes up there are a handful of smokers and drinkers that just can’t figure this one out.

Why don’t you say to your possible clients that they can only smoke with the wind coming from their back

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Indi,

And you are not being respectful to me by not allowing me to smoke in the nature but honest to inform clients prior to the hunt which is a different thing. In fact you cannot forbidden no one to smoke outside your camps I believe there is no law even in the US that rules such a situation.
And the people that compares a drinker with a drunker and a smoker to a drug dealer I simply advise them to go imeddiatly to a psico cause your thoughts are really stupid.

I understand you don’t need clients like me a light smoker but if you would need maybe your fundamentalism
would be different

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Indi:
quote:
Indi,

Why don’t you say to your possible clients that they can only smoke with the wind coming from their back

We hunt 360 degrees, the wind changes constantly and because of the reasons I’ve stated twice already about my tents stinking....

Master guide #212

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Indi
Problems solved
DONT BOOK A HUNT WITH JAKE.
Oh by the way in the USA almost all restaurants, public buildings and many public areas prohibit smoking. Just think of Jakes camp as an airplane ride! Can’t smoke on a plane .
God how ridiculous this thread over how Jake runs his camp is. Bitch about something worthwhile.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This has been whipped to death, but what the hell, no press is bad press.

On the hunt I did with Jake this year, I never once thought a nice glass of wine or craft beer would be awesome with this Mountain House Mac-n-cheese. Mountain House and fine booze, of any sort, are kind of matter and anti-matter IMO.

Smoking any form of tobacco is what it is. Stinky. Can't hide from that. It does get into everything. It doesn't matter if it scares the game or not, it damages Jake's stuff. Yes, smoke damages things. Ask a used car salesman trying to sell a smoker's car mid-summer.

Would you light up in a non-smoking friends house, car or truck? How is this different?

It's simple mutual respect. He is informing you so that you can make a decision. It would be disrespectful to not be up front about it. That's all there is to it. He even offered to make suggestions of reputable outfits if his camp rules are not acceptable.

Guiding the public is difficult. I've seen what happens when a guide and client are poorly paired. Neither enjoys the hunt.

Make your decision, and be done with it. His stance is not completely unheard of. Try going deep sea fishing with a banana in your lunch box. They find out and you will swim home. Very superstitious bunch, marlin guides.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote