Find
Notify
Tools

Ethiopian Air
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted
Anyone ever travel Ethiopian Air? I see you can fly business LAX to JNB for $2,310. Wonder how it compares to other business class flights.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I was looking at them also since they are Star Alliance with United. But I was seeing round trip tickets near $4200. $1,900 on the way there and $2,300 on the way back.

I found some reviews online just googling:

http://onemileatatime.boarding...beijing-addis-ababa/

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I was looking at them also since they are Star Alliance with United. But I was seeing round trip tickets near $4200. $1,900 on the way there and $2,300 on the way back.

The $2,310 I saw was round trip.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLW:
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:

The $2,310 I saw was round trip.

Yep, I just found a round trip, LAX to Jo'berg for $2,488

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12578 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
Anybody ever flown with this airline? If so, how is it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have a couple of times, in Biz class. Basically their biz class is like 1st class on a regular domestic flight. A much bigger seat, more room - etc. Planes are old / but decent, everything was fine - and the room was worth it. Just don't expect this to be like flying international biz class on most other airlines!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miketaylor
posted Hide Post
My brother and I are planning on flying business class with Ethiopian next year, London Heathrow to Harare. We chose this as it's cheaper than the South African flight and only gets into Harare 15mins later, flight lands at 12:25. We are driving straight to camp and start hunting the following day.

Mike

With kind regards
Mike
Mike Taylor Sporting
Hunting, Fishing & Photographic Safaris Worldwide
+44 7930 524 097
mtaylorsporting@gmail.com
Instagram - miketaylorsporting

Posts: 688 | Location: England  | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just flew them from Washington Dulles to Addis Ababa business class. Very nice, good food, great service, easy peasy....

I like them, Emirates and Turkish the best for overseas travel.

Posts: 10260 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
we booked our tickets in aug of '15 through united points.

so dulles to addis, addis to jo'berg on Ethiopian air.

the plane was fine, it was late leaving dulles, so we missed our connection and spent 15 hours in the Addis airport. the airport sucks, and is somewhat of a cluster****, but we eventually made it to RSA.

other than the delay, the flights were just fine.

Posts: 779 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I am flying Ethiopian from Oslo to Harare on Sunday 16th of July. Back on 30th of July. Will give a report when back home Cool

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Hi,

I am flying Ethiopian from Oslo to Harare on Sunday 16th of July. Back on 30th of July. Will give a report when back home Cool

Morten

Look forward to hearing about it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WLW:
quote:
Originally posted by The Norwegian:
Hi,

Morten

Look forward to hearing about it.

Hi again,

Back from Zimbabwe and my tuskless hunt. Flew Ethiopian all the way from Oslo via Stockholm to Addis Abeba in Ethiopia on Business and then cattle class from Addis to Harare. You change plane in Addis Abeba and customs/security takes you down in basement for checking rifles along the luggage handlers are working.

Business class very friendly and quite ok. But even the Dreamliner looked a litte worn already ! Cattle class between Addis and Harare ok as it is just a 3,5 hour flight. Older aircrafts and more worn, but no problems at all and an uneventful travel.

Some comments on the side;

I lost my rifles for 4 days ( as of that 3 hunting days ) due to an error in Oslo as Ethiopian never loaded my guns on my flight. Be sure to check that when boarding. Then the Ethiopian representatives in Harare were not able to send the rifles in transit through Addis as security in Addis did not forward the rifles as no one was present to identify themselves as the owner in Addis. I was in Harare and I was the day after in camp in the bush. Thanks to Mr Myles with CMS we finalyy found a way to solve it.

The airport in Addis is caos. Especially if boarding cattle class with just 2 rows for security check. The airport is overcrowded. They are building a new one and it was said to be finished next year !!

All in all ok flight - the route is quite ok for us in Europe, but airport in Addis not very good and Ethiopian has a way to go in handling situations that occur like this not loading rifles where they are checked in.

Morten

Posts: 1138 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdwest
posted Hide Post
Ive flown from Dulles to Addis more than a dozen times on Ethiopian Air (I used to manage some work in the region and made quarterly trips for about 3 1/2 years).. and only had one bad experience..

When they first brought the 787 dreamliners into the fleet Ethiopian couldnt seem to keep them on schedule.. there were maintenance issues ALL THE TIME.. on one return trip to Dulles we sat and waited for 9 hours in the terminal while E.A. "updated" us every 30 minutes telling us to be prepared to board, we'd be leaving "very soon"..

Other than that, every experience with them has been extremely good. Food is decent on the flights, the seats are comfortable, flight attendants have always been friendly, etc..

I'd fly with them again, no problem...

I've had far more frequent and worse negative experiences with American, United, and Delta over the years..

Posts: 65 | Location: DFW | Registered: 01 August 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ethiopian has, after many emails back and forth, offered a compensation of USD 75,- for my loss of 3 hunting days - out of a delay of 4 days.

I have denied to accept the money as I find it insulting. Ethiopian put all blame on the security check in Addis Ababa which I find totally stupid as the rifles were not loaded by Ethiopia in Oslo as scheduled and that made the whole problem.

I am almost speechless reading all the nonsens from the Ethiopian Customer Service ! Ethiopian must be the less responsible airline company I ever have experienced.

Morten