THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Airline employess and gun travel

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airline employess and gun travel
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone work for an airline and figure out how best to travel to hunt with guns on the cheap ie non-rev? I just bought tickets the first time but for 2 to Moz plus charter it was pricey

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2849 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a non rev, your bags don't get on until you get on. That said, if I could afford to go somewhere to hunt, there is no way
I would travel non rev with guns UNLESS I KNEW without out a doubt I would get on. And these days with load factors like they are, forget it. International? No way would I try...enough worry with a ticket worrying if the guns got on...just sayin...only did it for 33 years.....

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's about what I expected. The best option I have come up with is leave the gun over in Africa with you buddy PH

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you non rev to Africa with guns?
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
As a non rev, your bags don't get on until you get on. That said, if I could afford to go somewhere to hunt, there is no way
I would travel non rev with guns UNLESS I KNEW without out a doubt I would get on. And these days with load factors like they are, forget it. International? No way would I try...enough worry with a ticket worrying if the guns got on...just sayin...only did it for 33 years.....

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. Paid for ticket and checked guns in Pelican 1750 with my initials in bright dayglo orange....so I could look out the window and watch it being loaded....or not...got there just fine. Gate agent did allow that some non revs would get on...I just would not take the chance of getting a last minute seat and not have my guns make the flight. For all the Delta bashing going on here, they went out of their way to make sure my bags were loaded...and told me how to check on the iphone app. That worked like a charm.

You might want to really really look at the legalities for both of you regarding leaving a gun over there.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flew non-rev once with guns. Never again. No luggage arrived with us. Paid to have the luggage couriered to camp from Jo'burg to Lydenburg. Courier service refused to bring guns, the other bag arrived the day before we left. PH/buddy loaned me his rifles and had his wife pick up my guns from saps as she was in Jo'burg for prenatal check ups. Couldn't get a flight out non-rev so I I took the fastest flight back which was Emirates so I had to leave my guns as there was no time to get the right paperwork. Upside is I won't have to take guns next time. My friend who went with me flies non-rev all the time but his wife is a delta employee and they havent non revved out side conus. Employees and spouses have a higher seating priority for non-rev.

Posts: 477 | Location: western arkansas | Registered: 11 July 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
That's about what I expected. The best option I have come up with is leave the gun over in Africa with you buddy PH

And how are you planning to do that?

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leave your guns at home. I just finished my 4th trip using the guide guns. All has gone well. It is one less thing to worry about.
A gun is just a tool anyway . Have fun and less hassles.

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
Leave your guns at home. I just finished my 4th trip using the guide guns. All has gone well. It is one less thing to worry about.
A gun is just a tool anyway . Have fun and less hassles.

I'm starting to agree with this more and more!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly, some of us have become attached to our guns.

They no longer regarded as guns, but as your own little babies.

Especially if you have designed and built them yourself.

And after having shared your safaris with them for so long, it will be a very hard act to follow by using a camp gun.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67036 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

And after having shared your safaris with them for so long, it will be a very hard act to follow by using a camp gun.

Yep! tu2

Posts: 41786 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:

Saeed,
You all are fortunate not to have the TSA and anit-gun airlines to deal with. If I could fly Emirates as you get to, I would pack my arsenal for sure. I just get tired of the US and British airlines treating me like a criminal for taking guns somewhere.

Posts: 10206 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
No. Paid for ticket and checked guns in Pelican 1750 with my initials in bright dayglo orange....so I could look out the window and watch it being loaded....or not...got there just fine. Gate agent did allow that some non revs would get on...I just would not take the chance of getting a last minute seat and not have my guns make the flight. For all the Delta bashing going on here, they went out of their way to make sure my bags were loaded...and told me how to check on the iphone app. That worked like a charm.

You might want to really really look at the legalities for both of you regarding leaving a gun over there.

I said it on another thread: Delta has a very cool iPhone app that lets you see exactly where your bags are. I used it last month on a trip to AK to verify my gun was on the plane to ANC.

Delta also hand carries all guns. They never come out on the rack - they are delivered to your personally, where you have to show your ID.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are absolutely right on the Delta app AZWriter. As per your rec, I used it very recently on my Namibia trip and it worked like a champ. It gave me peace of mind knowing my bags were on board for sure.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
what happens when your Delta flight connects with their partner, Air France????

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13170 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote