Find
Notify
Tools

Good time to hunt East Cape
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
So I'm looking at the East Cape for a hunt next year.

I know that the busy times are June - August but since the climate is so mild there all year round would September and October be a good time to hunt there?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
Would September and October be good times? I hunted there from late September into mid October this year and I would say yes. That time of year is Spring in RSA so flowers are out and things are green.

Of course, the downside is that the animals have more cover to hide in but I'll still take pretty. You also could get rained on occasionally and bugs are out though, thankfully, not mosquitos.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks Grumulkin, Namibia was really dry when I hunted there in August so I thought that SA would also be dry.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank
It really depends on when the rains come. August tends to be a windy month, heralding the changing seasons. Generally by the end of September there has been a bit of rain, greening things up. Doesn't really matter when you go, just go!!
JCHB

Posts: 424 | Location: KZN province South Africa | Registered: 24 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Greg Brownlee
posted Hide Post
I agree with JCHB. I was there in August and it was great but a bit windy on a couple of the days (used it it being from Oklahoma, our "windy season" is whatever month is on the calendar...). We've sent tons of clients in September - November and everyone enjoyed it. It's a beautiful area of Africa and never gets TOO hot, and if you're hunting the mountains it will be quite nice even when it's greening up.

September would be a great time to go.

Greg Brownlee
Neal and Brownlee, LLC
Quality Worldwide Big Game Hunts Since 1975
918/299-3580
greg@NealAndBrownlee.com

www.NealAndBrownlee.com

Instagram: @NealAndBrownleeLLC

Hunt reports:

Botswana 2010

Alaska 2011

Bezoar Ibex, Turkey 2012

Mid Asian Ibex, Kyrgyzstan 2014

Posts: 1154 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

I remember that Namibia was windy in August also, I'm looking at Sept 10th to 19th.

Frank

One of Us
Picture of Bwana338
posted Hide Post
You should be good with your September dates.

I was there last year at that time and we did have rain one day and a light wind on other days...

Just have a great time...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"You've got the strongest hand in the world. That's right. Your hand. The hand that marks the ballot. The hand that pulls the voting lever. Use it, will you" John Wayne

Posts: 1627 | Location: West River at Heart | Registered: 08 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
May is also pretty good, unless you are on the mountains even June and July are mild and usually pretty good weather wise. Your experience will be a special one irrespective, the EC has an incredible diversity from coastal thicket through to high mountain grasslands. Doused in history, beaches, national parks and tourist hotspits abound yet remain low key. Enjoy pm me if you want my top 10 attractions.

Posts: 70 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 18 February 2012Reply With Quote