New
Find
Notify
Tools

SAA vs Emirates
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Contemplating a trip to SA in 2018. Travel agent is recommending SAA from the US to Joberg vs Emirates because "Emirates requires a lot of paper work". This would be the first trip that I have my wife accompanying me, and I don't want it to be the last Smiler. We would be going business class. Anyone traveled both SAA and Emirates that could enlighten me on the difference? Thanks.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention-I will be taking firearms.

"Never, ever, book a hunt with Jeri Booth or Detail Company Adventures"

Posts: 482 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 09 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WLW
posted Hide Post
I'm headed that way on the 13th with Emirates, Los Angeles - Joberg via Dubai. I used Kathi for the docs. It appears to me that most of the paperwork was for South Africa. So your going to have it either way.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4821014232

"He Who Farts in Church, Must Sit in Own Pew".

Posts: 364 | Location: Moorpark, CA | Registered: 18 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd say you need a different travel agent. Maybe Gracy Travel, Travel with Guns, and I have recently found Travel Express very easy to contact.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No comparison Emirates is head and solders above SAA. Travel with guns will take care of the paperwork on the guns .

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wesheltonj
posted Hide Post
You will not find a better business class product than Emirate on an A380. The 777-300ER are nice planes, still above anything SAA or Delta has. If YOU book your flight, you can do the "paperwork on-line". My understanding is if an AGENT books the flight so much for the on-line, thus the lot of paperwork. I have an Emirates flight coming up with a 14 hour layover, during the day or I could have taken a different Emirates flight and had a short layover at night but my wife wants to see Dubai.

Posts: 755 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 13 April 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
We are flying Emirates to Joberg in August. Africa Sky is handling everything when we touch down in Joberg. That was a very simple process sending them the information they need.

I went online and filled out the firearms paperwork on the Emirates website. It took me all of 10 minutes. The next day I received a polite email telling me all of my paperwork was correct but I had filed too early and to resend in no more than 30 days prior to departure.

Safe travels..............Larry

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote