THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Is anyone booking airfare for next year yet??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is anyone booking airfare for next year yet??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I will be going to Africa next year. Just curious when you all book you airline tickets for upcoming hunts. The rates seem to be sky high right now. When do you pull the trigger and purchase the ticket so you know you have a seat on the plane?

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been looking but airfare rates to Southern Africa are out-of-control right now, IMO. I believe this is mainly due to the FIFA World Cup. Hopefully, rates will settle back down to normal in Aug. and Sept., but you never know.

Where are you headed?

Posts: 354 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I've already paid for my trip to Zim next September and found the price to be about the same for the last few years. June and July seem to be the expensive fares.

I'd venture to say that most airlines to JNB during World Cup won't get any cheaper, but what do I know? In any event, one can only shudder when contemplating the gridlock and delays, particularly since a bunch of the new infrastructure is now predicted not to be complete.

What would I do if I wanted to hunt RSA or Zim in June or July.... I'd put a day extra on both the front and back end, just in case of delays... and btw, Afton House, realizing who butters their bread, is not accepting reservations from World Cuppers and is doing their best to keep spaces open for their regular clientele.

When visiting Vic Falls this September, on the booze cruise, I met a travel agent who specialized on trips to Kruger. It seems as if SAA was proposing flights/packages to Kruger and then to Vic Falls for the World Cup fans. She was there to negotiate with various B&B's, hotels, activity vendors, etc. to include in the packages.

Big plans and big risks... I hope the South Africans can pull it off.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7545 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will be going directly from Frankfurth to Windhoek in an effort to bypass JNB completely. I had hoped that this route would not see the price spike because of the World Cup. I will be traveling in June.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 25 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve Turner - Total Travel Solutions
posted Hide Post
I am seeing a number of people starting to finalize their flight arrangements for next year. As many have said flights in June and July are extemely high due to the World Cup however fares prior to this and after are about the same as for 2009.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte, I've bought my tickets - Houston to Frankfurt to Windhoek. The price was just slightly higher than it was in 2008. For the June thru August time frame I have always bought my tickets in the fall of the year before my hunt. The flight from Frankfurt to Windhoek fills up pretty quickly with German tourists during these months. I would suggest checking on your tickets now. I'm going in June also.

Posts: 75 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Going in September and used milage for each leg except Windhoek - Lusaka and Lusaka - Jo-berg. Didn't seem to painful.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still waiting to book our flights to Tanz. next Dec. Should be able to get this done about the middle of Jan. and I will be on it the first day they come available. We book with miles for business class and the sooner you jump on it the easier it is. They always manage to change the flights to Amsterdam on us, rerouting to different cities in the states, but it has always worked out in the past. We try to allow an extra day or so at the beginning in case of any screw-ups along the way. Flexibility, up to a point, seems to go a long way towards an enjoyable trip.

Posts: 158 | Location: texas panhandle | Registered: 15 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Booked for August/September next year on Delta. I also wanted to make sure we got the flight from Joburg to Maun on Air Botswana, since that flight fills up rather quickly.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9370 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed the O'hare to Jo'burg on Delta jumped from $1340 to $1700 in the last week or so. SAA is still around $1400. Guess I better get going!

Posts: 1755 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: 21 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
I usually wait to a bit closer, but given the WC, Kathi got me my SAA tickets over a month ago for May, including pretty good seats over the wing.

And I just confirmed my stay with Annelise at the Afton House. Looking fwd to some nice SA hospitality before heading north!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We booked our flights for next May in Oct for fear of spiking prices and early flights into southern Africa booking full earlier than normal because of the World Cup traffic.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dlroxby
posted Hide Post
I just purchased my flights to Namibia. You can book 11 months in advance. The prices were about the same as my last trip. I'm flying from Atlanta to Frankfurt ot Windhoek. There were only three seats left on the Frankfurt flight.

Don
quote:
Originally posted by Troglodyte:
I will be going to Africa next year. Just curious when you all book you airline tickets for upcoming hunts. The rates seem to be sky high right now. When do you pull the trigger and purchase the ticket so you know you have a seat on the plane?

Posts: 60 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it the happier I am. I got my ticket about 8 weeks ago--Swiss International (div. of Lufthansa) JFK-ZURICH-JNB for $1600 leaving 7/1/10

Posts: 42 | Location: The Glorious Democratic People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 04 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there is anyone that is traveling in July and needs reservations - Delta have now opened their flights with low fare seats starting 01 July. Return seats available from around 18 July. Availability varies depending on departure city.

Round-trip fares available from around $ 1680.00 plus taxes/fees of approx. $ 115.00.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

Posts: 138 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need to clarify my post above regarding the fare.

Delta have created a shoulder season fare running from 26 March through 01 July and again from 09 August through 12 September. Fares around $ 1680.00 plus taxes of approx. $ 115.00, depending on city of departure.

02 July through 08 August is a high season where fares start around $ 2100.00 plus tax of approx. $ 115.00 depending on city of depature.

Fares are round-trip from the US to Johannesburg on the services of Delta and subject to availability at time of reservation.

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally - though Delta has posted these fares for travel during June an availability search this afternoon shows no seats available at these fares between 28 May and 30 June!

My apologies if I have confused anyone!

Steve Turner
Travel With Guns
210-858-9833
steve@travelwithguns.com

www.travelwithguns.com

One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I've booked already for the middle of next May -- Even though I'm arriving three weeks ahead of the World Cup, I was concerned that flight availability and/or price might be impacted nonetheless.

The good news is that I got the flights that I wanted and am paying about 1/3 less than I paid last year for Business Class. Sure can't complain unless I end up having to change the arrangements downstream and incur the hefty attendant charges they usually foist on customers for such a change.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kathi at Wild Travel booked me last week from Boise to Jo-Berg and back for $1427.xx. Leaving on April 8th, returning on April 21st.

Dealing with her makes my life a little easier, and I like that.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troglodyte,

I am flying next June from St Louis to Frankfurt and then on to Windhoek. My Air Namibia flight from Frankfurt to Windhoek came in a couple hundred more per seat for my wife and I than originally quoted by Gracy. Not a deal breaker. These tickets were booked in November I believe. I have not booked the St Louis to Frankfurt leg yet hoping fares drop a little around beginning of the year. That recommendation was Gracy Travels recommendation. However, I am unsure once all the SCI conventions and similar conventions conclude if everybody is going to jump in and book air fares? I am still nervous regarding what airfares could be going forth.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got these AIRFARES from the Esplanade Tours web site [well they sent them to me actually].

While I have not done business with Esplanade for some time I expect these fairs are available to the other speciality travel agents as well.

They are for JFK/IAD to JNB OR CPT only it seems so other connecting fares will be required, but these look a lot better than I was expecting for this 2010 with the World Cup interference!

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote