New
Find
Notify
Tools

Afton House Meet and Greet
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How does meet and greet program at the Afton House compare to the dedicated services?

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

Posts: 598 | Location: Texas/CA | Registered: 18 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did fine for me last June.

Posts: 1092 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My family and I have used them several times and have always received great service.

DRSS

Posts: 624 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you book through Gracy Travel all is seamless. The Gracy guy Bruce meets the flight, walks you through the SAPS process and does all the meet/greet stuff at no cost other than the actual gun permit fee. Bruce delivers you to the Afton people if necessary and you are on your way. Seamless!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stayed with them a couple of weeks back and I redcommend them highly. They know all the right people at the airport and may I add take the steak dinner for $25. It is simply superb.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It worked great for us two years ago both coming and going to Zambia. Will be using them again on the way to Zim. in October. Great deal. If you get a chance get them to take you over the the sea food restuarant it is very good, as is the Italian resturant in the same area.

H Kittle

Posts: 555 | Location: the Mississippi Delta | Registered: 05 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was there in March/April and booked my own flights and booked direct with them. They did a fine job at the airport and I was out of there in about ten minutes once my gun showed up. I am not a big fan of B&Bs, but they really try to accommodate you. They had a lot going on the day that I departed, so they dropped me at the airport and I was on my own and didn't have any problems. If you are concerned about that, you may want to discuss that prior to leaving.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Great folks. I have stayed with them in the past, and will again next month.

Tell Annelise you want to go to La Gondola for a wonderful Italian meal. You will be in for a treat.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
I'll be there on the evening of 27 August.

While preparing your SAPS forms and having them ready for approval is not difficult, depending on the number of hunters on the plane, sometimes it can take over an hour to get approved... and sometimes you get a royal pain in the patootie as the approving officer.

This trip, I've already sent my SAPS applications to Annilese for a pre-arrival processing of my permits because I'll be transient overnight to Zim, then returning to hunt with Charl at Infiniti and sometimes the SAPS guys can't figure out the dual invitations, etc.

Afton folks seem to always work it out and I expect to have a SAPS permit for my R.O.N. and my return and hunt in 12 days.

Finally, if for any reason my bags/gun doesn't arrive when I do, they'll make sure to find them and get them up to Vic Falls quickly.

Figuring the cost of a safari, the little bit it cost to make sure I have a valid and timely permit and some baggage follow up is well worth the money. I have enough angst in my life. A little insurance against screw ups makes me happy. JMHO.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7544 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All of this is good to hear. I did not want to spend more on another service if I did not have to. I will be staying the nights of 10/17 and 10/29.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
v
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
If you book through Gracy Travel all is seamless. The Gracy guy Bruce meets the flight, walks you through the SAPS process and does all the meet/greet stuff at no cost other than the actual gun permit fee. Bruce delivers you to the Afton people if necessary and you are on your way. Seamless!

Mark

I booked through Gracy and did not know about the meet and greet being included. I paid gunpermits.com and it went well. I was delayed about 2.5 hours in DC and the gunpermits guy helped us get comped on a room and car by SAA when we missed our connection. He also helped arrange a flight for us the next morning and called the outfitter to inform him of the delay. Otherwise, Gracy's service was excellent, I just didn't know about the meet and greet.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I used Afton's meet and greet in both directions on my recent hunt, and they were excellent. On the way home, we only decided to use them at the last minute, and they were fully engaged with other clients, so they found a couple chaps to help us out, and they did a very good job for us. Great service and a good value in my opinion.

Going back through Jo'burg in the future, I won't hesitate to use Afton.

Posts: 3855 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the services of the Afton house 3 times.

Excellent in every way.

I always stay there 2 nights to give my baggage time to catch up with me if necessary and to do a little shoping.

The Italian resturant is very good. The owner is a real Italian.

Also the shrimp [prawns], and other seafood at the Ocean Basket {I think I have the name correct] is excellent.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everything sounds very positive. Looks like the Ocean Basket one night and the Italian resturant one night. I have read about both of these in other posts and again nothing but good things.

NRA
CRPA
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thunder stick:
Everything sounds very positive. Looks like the Ocean Basket one night and the Italian resturant one night. I have read about both of these in other posts and again nothing but good things.

Don't forget that Afton also serves some great braai-cooked steaks most evenings. It is a great time to have a toddy and get to talk to safari folks from just about the world over.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
AAA for Afton House. Annilese told me a few weeks ago that she would only host hunters next year during the Soccer fiasco. That says a lot to me. Never had any problems staying with them, booking clients or catering to our needs. Fine folks.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sue
posted Hide Post
Jim and I ALWAYS stay at the Afton House. We either begin our hunting trips there, end them there, or both.

We used to take care of our own gun permits. But a couple of years back we decided to add on their meet and greet service. It makes the process smoother. (And anything smooth at that airport is a bloody miracle, IMO.)

We enjoy our time at the AH. The service is unbeatable, the other guests are always interesting, and Annelise and Louis are outstanding people who excel at what they do.

Posts: 276 | Location: VA/WV borderlands | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make it all quite easy. Sent me the forms prior to my arrival and I returned to them. Upon arrival I was met and walked through the process. I took advantage of the steak dinner they offer and was ready for a much needed rest, so I cannot speak of the local haunts. The following day they took me to checkin for my flight to Zim. I'll definitely use them again.

Posts: 156 | Location: Satsuma, Alabama | Registered: 11 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afton is my home away from home. You cannot do better, I just wish they would poen a Harare branch!!!!!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have their latest emails and tel contact info. , mine is a bit dated......thanks.

Posts: 2537 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Just received an e-mail from Annelise that my SAPS permits were in order and I'd be met coming out of customs! Another hassle avoided!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
and may I add take the steak dinner for $25. It is simply superb.

Absolutly... Another thumbs up for Afton House..

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
I'll be there Oct 9th -- have used them before with excellent results -- highly recomend
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 926 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sue, Dave: +1 thumb

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Worked well for me three days ago and plenty of times before. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote