THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Difference between business class and first class

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Difference between business class and first class
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having never traveled by plain internationally is there a big difference between business and first class? Also on expedia they have economy premium. Any ideas what that means?

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh,

I have traveled first, business, economy and will be doing what British Air calls World Traveler plus this time. Anything above economy will be a noteable upgrade. Business and First will be very expensive. If your thinking about travel to Africa get a CC with a good mileage plan and put EVERYTHING you and your wife buy on it. You'll be surprised how fast your miles accumulate. I've only had to fly to Africa twice in economy and that's because I've had the miles to cover the more comfortable class of seating on every other trip.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
What Mark says. 320,000 Alaska Air miles got us first class on British Air round trip in 2010 and for the upcoming Safari in 2012.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always use aeroplan points. First class makes the trip over enjoyable. Main difference I have seen between first and business is when you fly in a 747. The upper deck is quieter and not as many people. I haven't seen much difference other than that. Either way, business or first, you will arrive more refreshed because you sleep better (seats lay out into beds), eat better, and get treated better than in the hot dog section. Your bags also get preference in business and first.

I flew economy on my first trip to Africa and had to share my seat with a fat lady next to me for 20 hours. Never again if I can help it

One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
If you must fly economy to Africa, only do it on Delta or SAA direct from USA to RSA. This is because americans, who will mostly populate those flights, tend to bathe and do not bring their "cultural" foods on the plane to eat.

Many years ago, on my first trip, we flew BA from SFO-Heathrow-JNB, which wasn't too bad. Coming back was another story. By the time we arrived in London I was begging the BA rep to get us seats in Business or 1st onward to SFO. I was so desperate as to offer full fare upgrade $$. To BAs credit, they gave us two upgrades to Business for the price of one.

Until you've spent 10 hours in coach with assorted unwashed Indians and Africans with their screaming kids, eating garlic spiced foods and running up and down the aisles, you cannot understand why those who can, choose to fly Business or First class. shocker

Save your miles for the upgrade!

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the tentative plan is American from Boise to Dulles, then SAA from there to Jo-berg.

Anybody gone to Savannah, GA and over that way?

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
some flights business and first are very simmilar or the same...... Some like air frince into paris from some places are not...

Business might just be big seats that recline more and better food.

First might be up to and including a black mercedes 500 waiting outside the plane just for you and a special immigrations line at charles degaulle airport......

Money well spent (but amex miles are better spent this way as a ticket might be 14k)..

best way to do it is get a delta cc and put all your personal expenses on it, and get another for business, i will venture out and say most people that can afford a dg safari will put enough on those CC to cover the tickets

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
business class is definitely a better way to go. much more comfortable, but, only when you upgrade using miles. if you buy the ticket with cash you'd better have deep pockets and be immune to sticker shock

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tx308:
Having never traveled by plain internationally is there a big difference between business and first class? Also on expedia they have economy premium. Any ideas what that means?

To answer your question, it depends on the airline. Delta is currently flying 777s direct to Joberg. They used to have only 2 classes of service, business and economy. In effect, their business class is their first class. This cabin is incredible. Lie flat seats, meals and entertainment on demand, 3 free checked bags, Very nice. IMO the business class of delta is better than most of the other first class cabins.

Delta has introduced a third class, an economy plus. Have not flown this seat, but my son is booked in that cabin for our trip in a few months. I can let you know how it works.

If it is anything like the United economy plus, it should be worth it. They give you both more elbow room and leg room on international flights. I think of it as business class light.

Miles are the best way to go, if you can take advantage. Every one of my trips has been in the front of the bus, courtesy of AmEx points and Delta.

Have not flown SAA since their split with the Delta partnership. When I did, the first cabin was nice. If you can get it without sticker shock do it. If not, save the money and return next year.

Hope that helps.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably duplicating some info here but Business is plush enough that in most aircraft, the seats lay down flat or near flat, the meals and the service are much better. Way more room and much less disturbances. Have flown first class once and couldn't tell much difference. Business with United usually requires 120,000 air miles to get and they start booking 331 days out from the departure date. Economy just isn't big enough for guys my size and there is no chance to sleep or stretch out.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I always buy a ticket in coach for one big reason: I fly a lot the rest of the year, and going to DAR and back racks up about 20K miles toward my status. I would rather fly coach to Africa once and 1st class domestically the rest of the year, even tough I frequently give my seat up to uniformed service members.

I have plenty of miles, but if you use them for travel to Africa, you don't get elite qualifying miles. Plus, if you are gold or higher, you get 40K miles or more added to your account.

I am 5/7 and weigh 148 lbs, so coach seats are fine. And since i am gold on Delta and United, I can normally get an exit row aisle when I fly.

To prove I ain't BSing, I once bought a coach ticket and gave Wendell a B Class ticket. He did pick up the charter bill and promised to be my friend forever.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7572 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I obviously don't go overseas as much as a lot of you so the 350,000 miles I rack up each year comfortably allows my wife and I to fly business at least once a year international. I'm 6'3 1/2" and 230 lbs. On a long flight, even an exit row isn't comfortable. But I see what you're saying.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by d.unger:
I always use aeroplan points. First class makes the trip over enjoyable. Main difference I have seen between first and business is when you fly in a 747. The upper deck is quieter and not as many people. I haven't seen much difference other than that. Either way, business or first, you will arrive more refreshed because you sleep better (seats lay out into beds), eat better, and get treated better than in the hot dog section. Your bags also get preference in business and first.

I flew economy on my first trip to Africa and had to share my seat with a fat lady next to me for 20 hours. Never again if I can help it

The upper deck on the 747 is not always first class. I've seen several configurations where it is coach and once did a trans-Atlantic on Sabena where it was a piano lounge. It varies with the air line. I've flown BA more than anyone else, and first on BA is heaven itself. But if you're buying it, get ready shell out the big bucks. If you are wealthy, it is worth it. If you're not, save your money for trophy fees and gut it out in potty class.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack D Bold:
To answer your question, it depends on the airline. Delta is currently flying 777s direct to Joberg. They used to have only 2 classes of service, business and economy. In effect, their business class is their first class. This cabin is incredible. Lie flat seats, meals and entertainment on demand, 3 free checked bags, Very nice. IMO the business class of delta is better than most of the other first class cabins.

Delta has introduced a third class, an economy plus. Have not flown this seat, but my son is booked in that cabin for our trip in a few months. I can let you know how it works.

If it is anything like the United economy plus, it should be worth it. They give you both more elbow room and leg room on international flights. I think of it as business class light.

Miles are the best way to go, if you can take advantage. Every one of my trips has been in the front of the bus, courtesy of AmEx points and Delta.

Hope that helps.

That's quite helpful since I have a bunch of Delta Skymiles. I've pretty much decided not to go to Africa again unless I'm riding in a big seat.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh: There is a world of difference between economy and business class (on Delta and SAA). Delta now has a premium economy sction that does have a bit more leg room and the seats recline a bit more and a big man (this includes me) can surely use the room. If you can afford the difference go business class, you won't regret it.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2772 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The difference between Business/First class and Economy is night and day difference in my opinion!

We flew using Delta miles last year from ATL to Joburg in Business Class. On the way home, after my center cut filet, I laid the seat out flat, rolled over and didn't move for the next 8 hours! Woke up just outside of ATL at around 4:00 am was ready to go.

I personally think the extra comfort helps you get over the jet lag. Seeing the look on some of those poor people in the back of the cattle wagon when retrieving bags just about told you how the economy seat treated them!

My first trip over I flew economy on SAA. Never again, if I can help it! Luckily, I fly enough for my job to give me Diamond status on Delta. Even those free upgrades on a 2.5 hour flight are night and day difference!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote