THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN TRAVEL FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Travel Forum    Which credit card for travel miles?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which credit card for travel miles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have flown to southern africa three times over the last several years on SAA using miles accumulated by using a United Mileage Plus credit card (through Chase Bank) for nearly all purchases. By doing so, I was able to pile up enough miles about every three years to get a coach ticket to my hunting destination.

As of this year United has essentially doubled the number of miles needed for obtaining airline tickets with miles. Therefore, I am looking to change credit card companies. What do you all recommend?

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

I have an Ak Airlines card through Bank America. Alaska is a partner with British Air which has always been my airline of choice and who I recommend to clients. The last time I checked they require 100,000 miles for coach, 120,000 miles for World Traveler Plus, 140,000 miles for business. In the past if you jumped through the hoops and booked early using your miles with this plan was pretty easy. This year there seem to be less mileage seats and no seats from some departure cities. I hope this is not a trend.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12880 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Scott,

I have an Ak Airlines card through Bank America. Alaska is a partner with British Air which has always been my airline of choice and who I recommend to clients. The last time I checked they require 100,000 miles for coach, 120,000 miles for World Traveler Plus, 140,000 miles for business. In the past if you jumped through the hoops and booked early using your miles with this plan was pretty easy. This year there seem to be less mileage seats and no seats from some departure cities. I hope this is not a trend.

Mark

+1

And I agree with Mark about the booking being more difficult this year. One theory is the Olympics being in the UK.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7595 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since my best connections and pricing to Africa is on Delta I have the Amex Platinum Delta card.

That seems to work for me. Just got back from Puerto Rico vacation using Delta miles (too many).

Butch

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
The problem is with all the credit cards now offering double miles, etc.- miles don't go as far. Basically miles have been devalued - so the airlines are charging more miles for a ticket.

I have a Delta Platinum AMEX for biz and get straight Delta miles. Then we have a Capital One Visa for family - that gives 2 points per $1 spent - and you can use for any airline, etc. They will credit your account for travel, you can book with points for a ticket, or you can get a check sent to you (but then it is only 1/2 your point balance). Through some research, Capital One gets the best ratings for an air miles/points card- but the end result of all of this is that it just flat costs a lot more miles to fly now because of all the card offers...What you pay now for a coach ticket on Delta with miles would have gotten you a biz class seat 3-5 years ago.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I think the best card is Capital One. With this you can book regular flights with whatever airline you want and get a bill credit. This way you aren't subjected to seating and blackout restrictions. I have used this on several trips and you get regular tickets at no cost.

I am also an Alaska Airlines mileage member and have used British Airways awards in the past. The problem as mentioned above is the seating restrictions and now fuel surcharges which are up to $500+ so it isn't a very good option even if you can get seats.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
is the Capitol One card accepted at most places that take MC/Visa( especially overseas)?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13180 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
is the Capitol One card accepted at most places that take MC/Visa( especially overseas)?

As long as you let them know where and when you will be. It works fine.

They even give you 90 days after booking the flight to get more miles added to your account.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of robncolorado
posted Hide Post
I have used BA through my Alaska card a couple of times (Fist and Business class) and yes, surcharges are present.... but they have been about 1/2 what a couch ticket would be. Also, Delta is a member of star alliance, so the Alaska Miles can be used for ATL to JNB route.....

Posts: 558 | Location: Durango, CO | Registered: 18 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Delta was part of the Star Alliance, but they are not...

They are part of the Sky Team of which Alaskan Airlines is also a code share partner with Delta.

Not that it's a huge deal...

"Once you've wrestled, everything else in life is easy."
Dan Gable

Posts: 55 | Location: Cedar Falls, IA | Registered: 17 October 2009Reply With Quote