Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo Case . . . again.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted
I know, I know, I know, the last thing anyone wants to hear is more talk about the damn ammo cases for travel through RSA.

I have a Cabelas Dry Box. It will lock and holds all of my ammo with room to spare. If I put a few gun items in there too (wipes, oil, bore snakes, torque driver, etc) and a sweater for padding, what is likely to happen? For what it's worth, I'm overnighting in Joberg, clearing SAPS, and all that good stuff.

Does anyone else try to put additional items in their "locked ammo case"?

Thanks.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
I used the same box last year and filled the extra space with knives that i took for the staff. Had no issues. Good Luck on your trip.

Posts: 761 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We went through joberg last year, and they never even asked about ammo or even looked into our luggage! 6 guys!

Posts: 729 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I try to just put ammo in there. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
generally we try to split up as much stuff in as many places as we can. that way if anything goes missing we still have enough to cover the trip

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
It will work fine.

I use a small, 1200, Pelican case loaded with just ammo, but I see no reason at all that your plan wouldn't work just as well.

Any plan that keeps TSA out of my regular luggage works for me.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take the foam out of a S&W pistol case...has a locking tab...beats buying an ammo box.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two years ago I made the mistake of putting my charger for my cell phone in my ammo travel case. Never made it through the Minnapolis airport. And for good reason. I am sure the "WIRES" for the cell phone charger in the ammo box were seen as something other than a cell phone charger. It took awhile to explain but all turned out fine after charger was moved to my suitcase.

Posts: 120 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I use an MTM Survival box and carry ammo, knife and bolt within.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I put all sorts of stuff in mine: Ammo, gun oil, cleaning rag, multi-tool, knife, various OTC medicine, bug spray etc. No problems, but TSA did cut the lock off and leave me a nice note saying they inspected the contents. SAPS never asked or looked.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used my socks for padding so it wouldn't rattle around. I can't believe you didn't ask if I had that week free. I know where they sell the good Cuban Cigars!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I used my socks for padding so it wouldn't rattle around. I can't believe you didn't ask if I had that week free. I know where they sell the good Cuban Cigars!

Rich
DRSS

Come on!

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Will,

Since I'm now locking my ammo in a small Pelican case it tends to get inspected. Each time I've had additional item in with the ammo and it has not been an issue.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive used a 30 caliber ammo can with a cable lock through the latch. Inside my duffle there were no issues. Just make sure it doesnt have explosive stenciled on it and you wont have problems. If in doubt paint it before hand.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I absolutely use the ammo case for all sorts of things and had no troubles in RSA. I had a lens cloth, ammo pouch, and other small assorted items that I wanted to protect from loss or damage. It's also a prudent way to maximize your useable luggage space.

Posts: 159 | Location: Bellevue, NE, USA | Registered: 05 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably just my bad luck, but the last 2 trips the agent wouldn't allow my individually wrapped gun wipes or gun oil at all - no matter how they were packed. I ended up tossing them to keep the process moving along.

one of us
posted Hide Post
To beat a dead horse!!!! Any AR members have recent reports about ammo carriage on SAA? What's the latest?

We'll be flying out of Jo'burg via SAA to Beira Aug.22.

We have always packed our ammo in locked boxes inside our duffles (or locked boxes inside our Tuffpak for British Airlines)...with no problem from SAA.

What is the current trend?

Thanks, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I packed mine in a locking plastic case in my duffle bag and there were no issues with SAA. I overnighted in Jo'burg, then out the next day.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just returned from SA for a Plains Game hunt I used a small pelican case locked in my dufflebag and rifles in a Tuffpak No one asked to see ammo at SAPS or count it. No one asked if I had ammo on the exit process either this trip.
Flew on SAA with good service and used Gracy Travel to pre arrange permits. Well worth every penny.

Posts: 309 | Location: WV | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
In July, there was no mention of ammo or ammo cases at any point on the journey over or on the return. TSA cut the lock off my ammo case on the outbound leg from ATL(and did not bother to replace it with the extra that was taped to the case). We twice checked bags with SAA (in RSA and in Zim) without any mention of ammo or counting of ammo.

Will J. Parks, III

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,guys...this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Seems I can do the same thing I've been doing for the past several years!!!!! Yippee! 16 days to go!!!

Regards, D. Nelson

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D. Nelson:
Thanks,guys...this is exactly what I wanted to hear. Seems I can do the same thing I've been doing for the past several years!!!!! Yippee! 16 days to go!!!

Regards, D. Nelson

Seems there's no "right" answer????????

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to zim, via joberg, with saa in May '10 and as usual had no questions or drama with my ammo stored into a mtm shotgun choke case either in Dallas ,or, points beyond.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote