Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in Frankfurt
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted
I'm going to Windhoek in July. I have always just hung out at the airport in Frankfurt in the past. I am looking for something to do that won't cost a fortune or eat too deep into trophy fee money.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1251 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go drink some beer!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 834 | Location: Plover, Wi | Registered: 04 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
We have taken the train into town (to the main terminal) and spent most of the day walking around and seeing the sights, doing some shopping, having some wonderful German food and then catching the train back out to the airport. It was an easy and pleasant experience. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a train to Mainz and check out some of the old cathedrals and walk around the town. A lot of history to look at. We did it on the last layover (10 hrs)and had a great time, I would highly recomend it. It's a short train ride right from the airport.

one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Riding the trains into the city is an interesting and relatively easy experience. Wife and I also did a four hour city bus tour that was very interesting. I think it was 'Grey Tour' or 'Grey Line'...something like that. Picked up a pamphlet on it at the train station in the lower level of the airport.

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Take a train to Mainz and check out some of the old cathedrals and walk around the town.

Mainz is very nice. Also you can make it to Bacharach in just a little bit and you won't find a more charming little town. Anything along the Rhine is awesome, get yourself some Brie, some rauch schinken, a few rosties and a bottle of wine, sit and have a picnic and watch the world go by. Beautiful area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Remember that you will be in, or close to, the same time zone as your hunting destination. Do whatever you can to speed up the resetting of your internal clock so as to better enjoy your hunt. I stayed awake on the TransAtlantic flight, then walked around Frankfurt, ate and drank well, and thus slept like a baby on the AirNamibia overnight flight. Woke up in the morning as the plane descended to Windhoek, and felt great, no jet lag at all.

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I took a Main River cruise on one of layovers. It is a nice way to view Frankfurt. As others suggested, the area towns along the Rhein are nice and convenient to visit. One other interesting place to visit near the airport is the little village of Zeppelinheim. They have a small, but interesting airship museum. The Hindenburg and other airships were launched from this area.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I appreciate it guys. This will be my seventh trip to Africa. But my first time to do anything in Frankfurt.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1251 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, any restaurants you would recommend? I am spending a couple of days in Frankfurt next month on the way to Ghana, I am staying at the Minerva Hotel near the main train station.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Die Ou Jagter:
UEG, any restaurants you would recommend? I am spending a couple of days in Frankfurt next month on the way to Ghana, I am staying at the Minerva Hotel near the main train station.

DOJ:

Are you hunting royal antelope in Ghana???

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, along with Maxwel Duiker, Harneesed Bushbuck and Black Duiker and some other game.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You Dog!

If you see Kobrine tell him I said hello. I don't think he knows my screen name, but we crossed paths a few years ago.

Good luck on the hunt.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
AAZW, don't set yourself up like that. Hey Steve AAZW , which by the way you don't know by that name says hello but I don't know his real name. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Take the train into the city. Find the nearest brautwurst stand. Order some brauts on a hard roll with spicey mustard and (most important) a good stout hefewiezen.
I lived in germany for 2 years, best memories are the food and the beer.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
DOJ: There are many good ones there, but try Holbein's, Atschel, Heimat, Restaurant Serves at the Hotel Hessischer Hof, or if you like Japanese food, Iwase. Frankfurt also has an open air market with food, shops galore, and the river is not far to walk to, etc. Make sure that you report back to us on your Frankfurt experience. Big Grin